fbpx

Bronzes

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Bronzes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Setsunawolf
    Participant

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
      Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
      Sun Dragon Koi #3

Setsunawolf
      Participant

I read a post somewhere that discussed bronze Windstone pieces. Melody had said they were too expensive to produce. My question was did you check out the prices in Chicago? My roommate’s father does bronze sculptures and it was cheaper to cast it in the midwest and ship it to California than it was to cast it there. We’re talking several hundred pounds. He says casting in Chicago was the cheapest place to cast bronzes.

Sun Dragon Koi #3

Melody
        Keymaster

setsunawolf wrote:

I read a post somewhere that discussed bronze Windstone pieces. Melody had said they were too expensive to produce. My question was did you check out the prices in Chicago? My roommate’s father does bronze sculptures and it was cheaper to cast it in the midwest and ship it to California than it was to cast it there. We’re talking several hundred pounds. He says casting in Chicago was the cheapest place to cast bronzes.

We have thought about doing bronzes for a long time… They are expensive to produce in this country, just because they are so labor intensive. However, if you compare the prices, they wouldn’t be much more expensive than say, a Wineberry SK, and they’d be allot easier to ship!

Maria
          Participant

Well then? ๐Ÿ˜€ *hope*

Setsunawolf
            Participant

My roommate thought you might be able to get them cast for $500 or so around here. That’s why I was asking. She’d have to check with her father though. He knows all the good foundries with the best prices. That would still leave you with a nice profit, particularly if they sell for the cost for a SK. I don’t know how that compares to your area or if it’s accurate but her dad would have a good idea becuase he does bronzes. Significantly larger bronzes than a Windstone piece.

Sun Dragon Koi #3

Jennifer
              Keymaster

I thought most foundries based prices on weight? As in XX dollars per pound of bronze?

Then you have to deal with very hefty shipping costs if you don’t do it locally.

It’s frustrating that it’s so expensive to do. I’ve always wanted to do bronzes myself but I don’t have the finances for it. ๐Ÿ™‚ You have to sell your pieces for a lot to make any sort of real profit.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

Blade-of-the-Moon
                Participant

Aren’t there hollow bronze statues ? That would reduce costs a bit eh ?

Bronze would look pretty cool outdoors as well I think… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Melody
                  Keymaster

setsunawolf wrote:

My roommate thought you might be able to get them cast for $500 or so around here. That’s why I was asking. She’d have to check with her father though. He knows all the good foundries with the best prices. That would still leave you with a nice profit, particularly if they sell for the cost for a SK. I don’t know how that compares to your area or if it’s accurate but her dad would have a good idea becuase he does bronzes. Significantly larger bronzes than a Windstone piece.

My understanding is that the price has as much to do with the labor involved as the weight. A complicated piece that needs to be welded and cleaned up is more expensive to make than a simple one … but I don’t know all the ins and outs of bronze casting.
                    I know that the larger things are hollow, and that that is labor intensive to do, because the piece needs to be cut open and the inside investment hammered out, the sculpture put back together and then the whole outsides cleaned up from the casting process.
                    I don’t think I would want to cast windstones as they are, if I was going to do bronzes I’d want to do non-blobs for a change! That means some welding will be involved which would add significantly to the price, probably.
                    I would like to know more about the foundries in your area!

Setsunawolf
                    Participant

I will have my roommate check with her father. We live very near Chicago and we have the mills, so we have a lot of people working with steel, bronze etc. Her dad said this was the cheapest place in the whole country to do bronze work.

Sun Dragon Koi #3

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.