fbpx

Brand suggestions for a good brush-on Clear Coat/Varnish?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Brand suggestions for a good brush-on Clear Coat/Varnish?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ela_Hara
    Participant

OK – I’ve looked high and low, and through many of the PYO threads and I cannot find the one that had some suggested brush-on clear coat/varnish brands.

I normally use the Krylon spray-on clear coats, but for my PYO this time, I want to use a brush-on clear coat/varnish that will be a Matt finish. I also plan to antique after the first clear coat.

Suggested brands anyone? What works well for you? ๐Ÿ™‚

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
      Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
      Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
      *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Kujacker
      Participant

While I’m not at home, I think the brand I have is DuraClear. It’s the only brush on I’ve used. I have it in gloss. It’s never been runny or drippy and the finish is nice.

Falcolf
        Participant

I use Golden brand varnish, it does a fantastic job and looks great. Archival protection. ๐Ÿ˜€ I can’t use spray on varnish (I have absolutely awful luck with it and I have ruined pieces trying to work with it) so I use Golden’s varnish and it has been absolutely great. No issues whatsoever and my PYOs look awesome sealed in it; nice hard, smooth, glossy finish. ๐Ÿ™‚

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Lokie
          Participant

I’ve used DuraClear, Liquitex, and Golden Brand. The DuraClear seemed fine the couple of times I used it; I only switched because I started to use artist grade paints so it seemed logical to me to start using an artist grade varnish instead of a craft grade. There are a lot of artist recommendations for the Liquitex brand varnish, however, I must of got some bad bottles. The air bubbles in it were terrible and ruined one of my pieces. Someone must have shook the bottles vigorously before I bought them. That’s more of an isolated incident and my bad luck because I don’t see others on the web complaining of that. Currently, I’ve been using the Golden Polymer Varnish with UVLs (do NOT get the one that says MSA Varnish: that one is Mineral Spirit based not water based) which I like because I can brush it on or run it through my airbrush.

So basically, depending on what you are willing to spend and what brands are available in your area, you probably are fine in choosing any of these brands.

Blight
            Participant

I’ve only ever used spray on varnishes, to get an even layer and for the easiness too.

Pretty sure there should be comparably excellent brush on brands available!

Ela_Hara
              Participant

Thanks so much for the suggestions!
                Of course I’m was kinda limited by what Michaels had on hand this weekend, as I wanted to start clear coating to antique my pieces this past weekend and this week.

I ended up getting the Liquitex since the Golden finish suggested wasn’t available. My first coat went on pretty smoothly. We’ll see how the antiquing goes tomorrow. So far so good! ๐Ÿ˜€

I might still order the Golden varnish online to have some on hand and try it too.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.