Brand Names List

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Brand Names List

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

Thank you Jennifer that will help me a lot.
      I could only fine a Liquitex high gloss varnish. Will that work OK on my PYO?

It should, but it will be very shiny. If you are okay with that, you can give it a go. I have observed that the Liquitex stuff can feel ‘tacky’ for a few months if it’s humid and might take a while to fully dry and cure.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Ela_Hara
      Participant

I read every post in this entire Topic string and it is all very helpful! Thanks everyone!
        I hope to start my PYO projects this Fall and these paint/brush and technique tips are very helpful. I have also downloaded the PYO tutorial to use.

Thanks again! 😀

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
        Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
        Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
        *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

bayoudragon
        Participant

I live in Baton Rouge, too. Spraying is a nightmare! With the humidity, weird things happen to the paint when applying a spray-type sealer. :sick:

I use Golden’s brush-on polymer varnish with UVLS (UV protection). I have not experienced any tackiness or problems with this sealer. This is all I use now. 🙂

It can be thinned and sprayed out of an airbrush, but I never never tried.

I comes in 3 finishes – gloss, satin, and matte
          http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/polvar.php

Ela_Hara
          Participant

Has anyone ever tried the Liquitex BASICS variety of Acrylic paints? They are listed as the ‘Academic’ grade, not the ‘Professional’ but I believe those would still be better than some of the craft paint brands – correct?

All the Michael’s stores around me only carry the ‘Heavy Body’ and ‘BASICS’ varieties, none of the ‘Soft Body’ paint variety.

Jennifer
            Keymaster

I have some. In my experience, they preform better than lower grade ‘craft’ paints, yes. You may just need to thin them a bit, depending on how you like to apply them! But they aren’t super thick if they have been sealed properly.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

Ela_Hara
              Participant

I have some. In my experience, they preform better than lower grade ‘craft’ paints, yes. You may just need to thin them a bit, depending on how you like to apply them! But they aren’t super thick if they have been sealed properly.

Oh, that’s fabulous! I also got a smaller starter set of the Golden Fluid colors, although those are only 1/2-oz. bottles. Since I’m going to start small with my Swap PYO and a couple of Muses I’ll figure out which one I like best.
                Thanks Jennifer! 🙂

Jennifer
                Keymaster

Oh, that’s fabulous! I also got a smaller starter set of the Golden Fluid colors, although those are only 1/2-oz. bottles. Since I’m going to start small with my Swap PYO and a couple of Muses I’ll figure out which one I like best.
                  Thanks Jennifer! 🙂

Believe it or not, I have only used those tiny Golden bottles to paint all my Windstones! They last a long time as long as you don’t waste a lot of paint. 🙂 Because of the dense pigment load, you only need a few drops at a time.

Lauren
                  Participant

My turn to ask some questions. …By which I mean a lot. orz, sorry guys.

1. I am assuming that the big difference between soft/fluid body paint and heavy body is the thickness. For those of you who use heavy body paints, do you have troubles making sure that you don’t lose the details under too much paint? How much extender/thinner do you generally use when painting? If you’ve also used soft body paints, can you compare how long they last and, particularly with Golden’s brand, whether there is any difference in the quality of the paint itself that you have noticed?

2. Has anyone worked with the Golden Special Iridescent Acrylics? They’re pretty pricey, even through Dick Blick, but they look so cool I’d be interested in knowing if anyone has put them to good or interesting use.

3. What are your favorite go-to brushes for projects? Not just the type, of course (good recs are on the pdf I see), but the size and/or brand as well. Alternatively, is there anything you would *not* recommend due to durability issues…?

4. I couldn’t find DecoArt’s particular staining/antiquing fluid through DickBlick, but I did find a product by Winsor & Newton. http://www.dickblick.com/products/winsor-and-newton-blending-and-glazing-medium/ Has anyone tried using this for antiquing, and if so, what did you do (did you basically do the same thing you would have with DecoArt’s?) and how did the results come out? I’m a bit confused because the bottle seems to list itself as being oil-based, so… perhaps this is a no-go.

5. For sealant over antiquing, is it safe to use a varnish that you would apply like a liquid, or do I need to use a spray? I see that the DecoArt bottle says that water will reactivate it, hence my wondering/concern.

bayoudragon
                    Participant

Okay. That was my suspicion, though I didn’t know the exact reason why (the need to breath), so thank you. The DecoArt stuff is really cheap, at least, so even if I have to order it elsewhere it shouldn’t be too expensive, but I’ll also hope that maybe someone has some experience using these glazing mediums for antiquing and can chime in.

You can get the DecoArt staining medium from Amazon.com, Hobby Lobby, and I think JoAnn’s also carries it. I like its consistency for antiquing fur. When it comes to feathers, I use Golden’s retarder. I can’t live without that stuff. I use that more than anything. I have a bottle of Golden’s GAC 100 and GAC 200, but I rarely use it… mostly because I like the longer working time of the retarder.

Louisiana has waaaay too much humidity for a spray sealer. It does strange awful things to a paint job. I ONLY use a liquid varnish (Golden’s polymer varnish). I’ve had no problem using the mediums with the brush-on varnish. Actually, the DecoArt dries faster than the retarder. Just let it dry thoroughly before sealing.

Landipan
                      Participant

What’s the best spray/varnish for a nice flat matte look? I want to eventually create a nice bay Unicorn and want it to not be too shiny!

Also….Has anyone ever painted a PYO with Pastels?

TIA!

*Formerly meowmix101
                        Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Lauren
                        Participant

@Meowmix101
                          I believe that Kujacker has painted with pastel before! If not her, someone here did. Also, I’ve seen tutorials on youtube of people painting horses with pastels. So it definitely can be done!

Edit: I think I should amend though, they seemed to be painting on the dust dry, and they used an aerosol to fix the pigment in place. I don’t know if it would work with a liquid varnish, which is why I haven’t tried it yet.

Prezaurian
                          Participant

@Meowmix101
                            I believe that Kujacker has painted with pastel before! If not her, someone here did. Also, I’ve seen tutorials on youtube of people painting horses with pastels. So it definitely can be done!

Edit: I think I should amend though, they seemed to be painting on the dust dry, and they used an aerosol to fix the pigment in place. I don’t know if it would work with a liquid varnish, which is why I haven’t tried it yet.

I asked about that before with Kujacker (who uses pastels beautifully). Liquid varnish won’t work well with the powders. Brushing it on will just smear the powders around. Sounds like you have to use an aerosol varnish.

Landipan
                            Participant

@Meowmix101

I’ve had some experience painting model horses with pastels(brushing them on, spray them to seal etc.) but I’m not sure if Windstones gypsum would be able to still breath through zillions of layers of sealer?

*Formerly meowmix101
                              Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Natasha
                              Participant

Thank you all for this great info! I was just gifted my first PYO, a Kirin, and I had no idea where to start since I have only painted ceramics. This thread was invaluable! Hopefully I’ll have a pretty piece to show off…or at least a first attempt to learn from!

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
                                ANY Red Eyed Unis
                                ANY Test Paint Bat
                                UNIS:
                                The Purple/Yellow Baby Uni of Awesome
                                Male- Snow Leopard TP
                                White Lighting Male, Pony, Colt and Grand - I have Mom, Baby, & Young
                                Ponycorns: Golden Zebra and/or Spotted Skunk
                                Mother: Okapi
                                Gothic - Mahogany
                                PEGS: Male Midnight Calico, Male Bloodstone, Mother Starlight Rain
                                DRAGONS: Male Coyote

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.