Brand Names List

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Brand Names List

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    KoishiiKitty
    Participant

I am curious to see how well this will work and if it helps new artists find out what different products there are faster. This is for people to post what brands of products you use and what results you have gotten from them.

Here is what I have used:

Winsor and Newtwon Finity acrylics: They are very creamy and blend well. they also dry with out any color change as well as keep their color when thinned.

Winsor and Newton Galeria Flow Improver: This has to be mixed with water..so I had to be a bit careful..but other wise it worse really well and did not seem to affect how the paint stuck to the PYO.

Winsor and Newton Galeria Fluid Retarder: I did not use this too much..but when I did it seemed to do a nice job. it kept the paint moist rather then wet or runny so that blending was easy, but also let it dry with in a reasonable time.( note: I used thin coats of paint and have not tried it with thicker coats)

Winsor and Newton Galleria Iridescent Medium: this is a bottle of iridescence material in a thick clear acrylic. At first glance it looks like pearl/silver metallic. You mix this with any color you like to turn it metallic…and it works! It comes in real handy for wanting a metallic look in a color that does not come in metallics. I even ADDED it to the metallics i was using.

Sargent Art Liquid Metals: these are metallic acrylics. They are very bright and fine. I REALLY like using them a lot and they come in a lot of colors. They seem to work well with other brands also.

Golden Interference:I think most of us know these. Also acrylics. They offer a metallic sheen that only shows up in certain lighting or on certain colors. I really loved using them. mine are Interference Fine and had a very creamy look.

Liquid Leaf Copper: This stuff was ok. comes in a jar and you paint it on. Make sure to use thin coats and it goes on even. I would like to try some other brands though. It did not impress me all that much.

Winsor and Newton Art Masking Fluid: Very basic. Dries opaque and does a good job…just do not use it too thick or it will pull the eyes out(like i did).

Krylon Low Odor Clear Finish:I got it in glossy. This is the spray I used for the clear coat sealer and I really liked how it turned out. Glossy but not overly glossy. I have two other sprays to try.

That is all I have tried so far.Any one else feel free to add the ones you have tried.

KoishiiKitty
      Participant

frozendragon
        Participant

Duncan brand ceramic paints are my favorite ones to use…

Kujacker
          Participant

Liquitex Heavy Body are my fav 🙂

Jennifer
            Keymaster

These are what I’ve used, and my experience with them (I also graded them, 1-5, 1=poor, 5=best):

Golden Brand Paints (fluid colors)
              – These are what I recommend for experienced painters, and overall give the most professional finish. They are tried and true by the Factory, are archival and overall very nice. The fluid colors can be used, if mixed properly in an airbrush or painted with brushes. They look best in many thin layers, and a little goes a long way. The interference colors do amazing things and are well worth experimenting with.
              Cost= 1.5 Not the most expensive paint, but they are pricey!
              Quality= 5 Very pleased with the quality of the pigment
              Color= 5 The most vivid and well pigmented acrylics I’ve used
              Longevity= 4-5 You can look up each color’s rating, but these paints are archival
              Ease of use= 3-4 They can be a little tricky for beginners because they are thin.
              Availability= 2 Usually only higher end art stores will stock this regularly (be warned- ‘old’ paint is not worth your money!) and most people, myself included, must order it online.

Liquitex Soft body acrylics
              – These paints are, in a word, buttery! These are a great ‘art’ grade paint to start with because they are so creamy and easy to apply. They blend very well when mixed with an extender or retarder as well. The only thing you need to be careful of is to not apply them too thick or they might start filling in the details on your PYO. Also be sure that you get the ‘soft body’, the heavy body acrylics are WAY thick.
              Cost= 2-3 Not as expensive as Golden, but still kinda pricey, and you usually have to get larger containers.
              Quality= 4.5-5 Very nice, creamy paints. Excellent for normal acrylic painting as well.
              Color= 4.5-5 Some wonderful pigments, nothing seems too washed out or dull. They don’t offer the range of interference paints that Golden does.
              Longevity= 5 Another fine archival paint.
              Ease of use= 4-5 Okay for beginners, great for experienced painters.
              Availability= 3-4 You can find this paint at most art supply stores, and it’s easy to find online.

Delta Ceramcoat Craft acrylic – As part of my work in making the tutorial and trying out an array of paints that might get used on PYOs, I was told to get the most inexpensive paint I could find and use it on some PYOs to see how it worked. I found this paint for $0.49 per bottle so I figured that was about as inexpensive as they came. These paints are by no means terrible- and if you want a cheap way to goof around and paint a few things, there is nothing wrong with them. But the colors are not nearly as well pigmented as the ‘art grade’ acrylics, they tend to be a little chalky, there is no gloss, and I don’t know how they make their polymer binder but it’s very flat and watery. Many more coats are needed to get a solid color and I found that the paint sometimes flaked off the PYO if I tried to paint over it.
              Cost= 5 I don’t think you can beat the price for these!
              Quality= 1-2 Definitely not as nice as an ‘art grade’ acrylic
              Color= 2-3 Not horrible, not not real good. Okay.
              Longevity= Unknown. Though the ones I painted over a year ago look okay, there is some minor flaking in some spots.
              Ease of use= 3-5 Easy to use because you can kinda slather it on. A pain if you try to get fancy and do thin layers (it tried to flake on me)
              Availability= 5 This is a paint carried by many craft stores.

Apple Barrel Craft Acrylic Paint – This is, I believe, a medium to high end craft grade acrylic. It’s more costly than the Ceramcoat, but still less than the ‘art grade’ acrylics. These might be good for a beginner that doesn’t want to spend a lot on expensive paints, but still wants a nice result. Or even if you just want to paint one PYO and don’t want to invest a lot into it. The colors overall are a bit nicer, they don’t look as flat and lifeless. I still had a minor flaking issue when trying very thin coats, but it was a lot better than the Ceramcoat paints.
              Cost= 3-4.5 You can get a good selection of colors for what 2-3 bottles of Golden paint would cost you. Not bad at all.
              Quality= 3-4 These paints aren’t half bad. Still a little flat and not quite as high quality as an art acrylic, they are pretty creamy and nice to use.
              Color= 3-4 Mid range. Not as nice as Golden or Liquitex but for the price, not bad at all.
              Longevity= Unknown
              Ease of use= 4-5 Good for beginners and more experienced people.
              Availability= 5 Again, most craft stores and even craft sections of other stores stock this paint.

Golden GAC 200 Acrylic Polymer Medium
              – I use this ALL the time! This is a mixing medium, it’s clear and dries clear. You can mix it into any color to increase transparency (for thin washes of color to build vibrancy), to thin the paint, or just make “more” of a color. It adds a slight gloss to the paint and is so nice.
              Cost= 3.5-4 You can usually get a good 8 oz (I’ve been using my 8oz bottle for 1.5 years and still have some!) for under $8.00 so it’s not bad at all.
              Quality= 5 All Golden Brand products impress me so far!
              Longevity= 5 Archival product
              Ease of Use= 3 Sometimes makes the paint tacky and requires extra drying time. Glossy-ness is harder to paint over.

Golden Acrylic Retarder
              and
              Liquitex Fluid Retarder / Liquitex Slow-Dri Fluid retarder
              – I’m lumping these two together because I have noticed no difference in performance. They are both excellent fluid retarders and extend the drying time of the paint quite a bit. This makes it easier to blend and keeps it from drying while you are still applying it. You must be careful not to use too much or the paint will never dry! Follow the instructions on the bottle.
              Cost= 3 A little pricey but a little goes a long way. I’m still using my 4oz bottles from 2 years ago.
              Quality= 5 I’ve been very pleased with these two products. I haven’t had any problems!
              Longevity= Unknown, presumed archival
              Ease of use= 3-4 Possibly not easy right off the bat- care must be taken not to add too much retarder to paint. Extends drying time which is good and bad (don’t touch the wet paint)
              Availability= Only higher end art supply stores seem to carry this, and then only sometimes. I have to order online.

Liquitex Gloss Medium (also known as gloss medium varnish ) – This works well to blend into your paint. It’s not a varnish at all (varnishes can be removed… this can NOT!) but a clear gel that you can use by itself or in paint. It dries clear and glossy. You can mix this into your paint to make it shinier, increase transparency, or use it by itself to add a shine just to certain areas (like scales, or a beak). Note that it stays tacky for a long time: sometimes weeks.
              Cost= 3-4 A little costly, especially since most projects only require a little. But it lasts a long time.
              Quality= 4-5 Very pleased, though I wish drying times were shorter.
              Longevity= 5 Archival
              Ease of use= 4-5 Easy to use, just beware of drying times
              Availability= 2 Most higher end art stores will carry this, but you may have to order online.

Decoart Staining and Antiquing Medium
              – This is the only reasonably priced clear antiquing medium I could find. Good thing it works well! This is a thick, clear gel you add to any color paint to make it an antiquing medium. It slows down the drying time of the paint so you can antique with it better, and makes it more viscous so that it ‘sticks’ in the recesses of the PYO better. Antiquing is never EASY, but this makes it a little less of a pain.
              Cost= 4 This stuff is pretty inexpensive, but you usually go through it kinda fast since it’s so thick.
              Quality= 4.5 I have no complaints- it does its job!
              Longevity= Unknown, presumed archival
              Ease of Use= 2-3 Antiquing is NEVER easy and takes some practice, but this product makes it a little more tolerable.
              Availability= 1 I have never found this in a store and always order it online.

Monarch 23k Gold leaf (Patent) – Gold leafing is messy, a big pain in the butt, wasteful, and frustrating. But if you want to try it and want to use genuine gold, this is probably the way to start. Each sheet is attached to tissue paper and won’t come off unless you touch it to the sizing or something wet (like your tongue).
              Cost= 1 This is expensive, make no mistake. Be prepared to pay at least $50 for a book of 25 4″ squares.
              Quality= 5 Hard to get a higher quality gold!
              Longevity= 5 Gold this pure will never tarnish or oxidize.
              Ease of Use= 1 Pain in the butt!!
              Availability= 1 Some high end art stores might carry or order it for you, but this is a specialty item.

Kalish Strong Synthetic Brushes
              – These are the brushes I use for painting my PYOs/Windstones. These hold up to the abuse of being raked across gypsum with paint in them (this is actually a lot more abrasive than you’d think!) better than any other brush I’ve used. They wash up well and hold their shape. But, due to the cost, they are a bit unnecessary if you just do one or two for fun. These are for more serious painters.
              Cost= 2 Not as expensive as high end natural hair brushes, but they cost a good bit more than ones you’d find at a craft store.
              Quality= 5 Best I’ve used for acrylic and Windstones.
              Longevity= 4 With proper care (emphasis on proper) they should last you a while.
              Ease of Use= 5 Very forgiving brushes.
              Availability= 1 I think you have to order these online or via phone.

Gary Bowen’s “Eye Protect” – This is a latex-based masking fluid specifically designed for taxidermy work and masking off glass eyes from paint overspray. It works amazingly well! It always peels off easily, dries fast, and protects the glass eyes on my PYOs perfectly.
              Cost= 3 A little expensive, only worth it if you do a lot of PYOs.
              Quality= 5 perfect!
              Ease of Use= 4 care must be taken when applying it, and you gotta use a junk brush, but other than that it’s a dream to use.
              Availability= 1 I’ve only ever found it at online Taxidermy stores.

Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear Finish (comes in gloss, satin, and matte)
              – I use this to finish all my pieces. I’ve never had it run or drip, it’s non yellowing (archival) and bonds well with the acrylic paint. It comes in a can like spray paint.
              Cost= 4-5 Not expensive for what you get!
              Quality= 4-5 I’ve never had a problem, perfect!
              Longevity= 5 Archival.
              Ease of Use= 3-5 Depending on experience this is a breeze. Just follow the instructions on the can, don’t be impatient, and use on the right kind of day (not too humid, not too cold or hot). Allow to dry properly and don’t breathe it, and you’re good to go!
              Availability= 5 Found in most art supply, craft, home improvement, hardware and mega-stores.

Whew! I know I’ve used other stuff but my brain is going numb, I’ll add more later if I can!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

KoishiiKitty
              Participant

I forgot to add some stores that might carry these.

I go to Micheal’s since it is the only decent store around here. they carry most of the Winsor and Newton brand and a good supply of Krylon sprays. It also should carry most craft paints in every color you could want.

Jo-Annes is less diverse, it usually only has craft paints.

Most acrylic mediums(retarder, fluid improver,Gel) you might need to go online. I only use Dickblick.com since as far as I have seen they have the best prices and the most diverse selection.

If any one else knows other other stores that you go to get your supplies, feel free to list them.

Jennifer
                Keymaster

Dick Blick has physical stores too. These are great and you can save on shipping. But there are only a few:
                  http://www.dickblick.com/stores/

Hobby Lobby sometimes will carry some more artist supplies than places like Michael’s but not always. I can get things like sponges there, and brushes, but not Golden Paint. They might be able to order it though.

The Rag Shop craft stores sometimes have a decent paint selection. It’s really touch and go- sometimes they do, sometimes not.

And of course, your locally owned art supply stores!

I live near a whole lot of nothing, so I have to order most of my stuff.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com

KoishiiKitty
                  Participant

Nambroth, what was that glue you used for your moonstones? I am going to be using some opals that are quite transparent and would like to use the same type glue.

Jennifer
                    Keymaster

I don’t think they make the kind I have anymore; it’s technically a white glue since we have all found that white glues work very well with Windstones, but it’s a very strong bond.
                      When I have to get some more though, I’ll probably pick up some of this for non-porous stones (will need to test it on opals/other softer porous stones to see if it eats at them at all first):

http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H201956TL

Hope that helps? Their site has other glues so you can look through. 🙂

KoishiiKitty
                      Participant

Nambroth wrote:

I don’t think they make the kind I have anymore; it’s technically a white glue since we have all found that white glues work very well with Windstones, but it’s a very strong bond.
                        When I have to get some more though, I’ll probably pick up some of this for non-porous stones (will need to test it on opals/other softer porous stones to see if it eats at them at all first):

http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H201956TL

Hope that helps? Their site has other glues so you can look through. 🙂

My Mom had the G-S Hypo Cement already. It worked great for me!

Maria
                        Participant

I use Winsor and Newton and Akademie Akryl paints. They’re not too expensive and the colors hold nicely.

Pegasi1978
                          Participant

I just thought I would let folks know that if they have an A.C. Moore near them I found 2 bottles of Decoart Staining and Antiquing Medium at the one in Savannah today. I think they have a Web site as well. A.C. Moore also carries Liquitex Soft body acrylics, Delta Ceramcoat Craft acrylic, Apple Barrel Craft Acrylic Paint, and many other useful items (including Winsor and Newton Art Masking Fluid).

pipsxlch
                            Participant

I was able to buy the Decoart antiquing medium, Wayne and Newton masking fluid, and the Golden mixer and retarder at my Michaels. If you haven’t, it might be worth checking yours.

KoishiiKitty
                              Participant

Lumiere by Jacquard: I have been using these for a while though and they are GREAT for metallics. I definitely recommend them. you can even get a set of two toned paints. like, metallic pink with gold metallic flakes in it and so on with other colors. They give you a good variety of colors are are of great quality. If you want to get some,Micheals and Dickblick does sell them, you have to go into the craft painting section though because they are sold as clothing paint. BUT! they are regular acrylics and are safe for your pyo. They also work well with other brands and can easily be blended with other colors.

KoishiiKitty
                                Participant

I have seen a few questions about gems for the muses.
                                  You can get Swarovski crystals for your Muse here:
                                  http://www.firemountaingems.com/shopping.asp?skw=KWCRYSSWAROVCHATON

A good range of colors, right shape and size.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.