fbpx

Bought myself a birthday present……

Home Forums Miscellany Community Bought myself a birthday present……

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Laurie
    Participant

So yesterday I stop buy a produce stand, one of those with the tent and chainlink gates on the front, open air so to speak. I buy my avocados for dinner and on my way out I see a lovely little peachfaced lovebird right in front of the door getting blown all over the cage. well I stopped and looked at it and they wanted $50.00 cage and all. Well I didn’t need another critter so out the door I walked. ( yes, I felt really sorry for it)
      Now the temp here this morning was 42 and the wind is very strong with gusts up to 40mph and we’re supposed to get a freeze tonight.
      I drove by the produce stand and what do I see, this poor little bird in the same spot, no windbreak whatsoever and uncovered. No one was there yet so I continued on to work. Well I couldn’t stop thinking about it so I asked my boss if I could have about a half hour to go pick up something and went back and got her.
      It’s supposed to be a she, 3 1/2 years old and just the sweetest little thing. I have her in the office with me and she’s sleeping right now, Poor little thing was exhausted. So now I have a small parrot, deciding on whether to keep her alone or buy her a buddy since I’m not home all the time. Any advice is appreciated. I’ve had parakeets, cockatiels and finches, but never a lovebird.
      Cage is a mess and needs to be cleaned and scrubbed and a new feeder. They have this large outdoor bird feeder in there in the center so I don’t know when the last time she’s had fresh food and I think she’s only had seed so I hope she’s not a seed junky cause she needs some fresh fruit and vegies.
      Jen!! help!!

Laurie
      Participant

Jasmine
        Participant

Oh, poor thing. You’re a sweetie to rescue her. ๐Ÿ˜€

Well, she will certainly have a better place to live now! Lovebirds are so pretty!

Duld
          Participant

yeah, and noisy, Iยดve always wanted one, a mirror and a radio should suffice, that is if you are planning to tame her, taming birds is nearly impossible if they are in pairs, plus lovebird ladys are very territorial (erhmmm.. lady birds in general) so if you would buy her a partner, that turns out to be a lady too, you might just be asking for more trouble

siberakh1
            Participant

Awwwww…. Hurray for rescuing her! Poor little thing! What a lovely present!

Hehehe… lovebirds can be little devils (I owned a pair… I know!). Do you know if she is tame? Can you put your hand in her cage and have her not try to bite you to death? They will draw blood and can give a macaw a run for their money. If she was handled and hand reared, she should be fine. Mine were not and were absolute terrors (though I loved them!). My mom didn’t know any better and picked something ‘pretty’ rather than practical, like the lovely trained sun conure my dad and I liked, not the non-hand reared lovebirds. *shakes head*

Lovebirds are happiest as a true pair (ie. a male & a female), and if you give her a mirror, she’s spend much of her attention with the mirror, but by herself, she can be just fine (and will probably pay you more attention :P), but definitely give her some stuff to keep her beak and claws in shape and stuff to play/do. Lovebirds are supposed to love fruits and a few veggies, but don’t be surprised if she won’t eat any. My pair wouldn’t touch anything I gave except for seed, so I had to give them vitamins to make sure they got what they needed. Since you already have birds, you already are aware of the noise, though a lovebird can be noisier than cockatiels and the like. You’ll have to post a picture of her when you can! ๐Ÿ™‚

A lovebird can tolerate chilly temps, but only if they can get someplace warm to hunker down when they feel the need, but it is at their discretion (there are flocks in NYC from escapees that live year round!), but with no place to move to escape from the chilly breeze like that, she definitely could have gotten sick or died! I’d certainly not just plop a lovebird out in a cage out in a cold wind like that. Stupid ‘owners’. Kudos on the rescue!

Happy Birthday! And kudos to you for rescuing her – I’m sure she’ll be much happier with you. What is it with some people? ๐Ÿ™„ I can’t believe the previous owners left her out in such weather. But good luck with her!

BDW
              Participant

Laurie I would wait before to buy another bird. The fact that she was exposed to strong wind is not good…I would keep an eye on her for a few weeks…Sorry but she could get sick. If the wind was a little cool… ๐Ÿ™
                But I hope she turns out ok! She will have a good home with you for sure! ๐Ÿ™‚
                Love birds do enjoy anothers company… and if you can put safe toys in the cage to make sure it keeps her busy that would be great! Congrats!

Andrea
                Participant

That’s cool of you to rescue it! I’ve had one, but found a good home for it because it was too freaking LOUD! OMG. Nothing like ear piercing screeching. Found I wasn’t much of a parrot person ๐Ÿ˜• LOL. Good luck!

dragonmedley
                  Participant

Another rescue! Lovebirds are pretty, but I’ve never had one, so I know diddly squat about taking care of one. I find the mirror thing hilarious!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                    I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                    http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Lokie
                    Participant

Congrats on your B-Day present! I’ve never had lovebirds so no advice or suggestions, but I’m glad it found a good home with you.

Maria
                      Participant

Happy birthday, and congrats on the present! It’s good that you’re giving her a better home than she had. Some people are so thoughtless.

Bodine
                        Participant

:hi: You softy you ๐Ÿ˜€ Hey,do you write novels?e-mail me 8)

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
                          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                          Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

Jennifer
                          Keymaster

Lovebirds don’t need to be in pairs! That’s a myth and people keep it alive because it’s a romantic thought– that they need a mate to be happy. Let me tell you about the number of lovebirds injured or killed by their ‘mates’..!! It’s also totally false that you need to have parrots by themselves to tame them. It doesn’t even make it ‘easier’ in most cases!

Ah, rescue birds. Usually cheap to bring home.. then the real money starts! My rescues have costs me thousands and thousands over the years XD

First, I cannot recommend this site highly enough. This lady knows her stuff: http://rationalparrot.com/

I’ve worked with birds all of my life, and I will try my best to impart the best, most up to date info I have. That said, never take my advice over that of an avian veterinarian!
                            The first thing you should do is find an avian vet in your area. Avian vets are not the same as normal vets– they actually had to do special schooling because bird biology is much different than mammalian biology. That said, if you can’t find an “Avian” specific vet, you can still find a good vet. Call around and see which vets see birds. Of those, ask and see which of those vets see birds regularly… we’re talking like at least once a week here if possible. Experience can be just as good as that little certification– if they have a lot of experience.

I’d get in with your vet. Since the poor lovebird was outside, I’d ask the vet to do a fecal swab and a full blood panel. Warning: blood panels usually run anywhere from $130-$250 just for the panel. Why is it important?
                            Well, she was outside for one thing. Unfortunately this means she may have been exposed to wild birds, and that can mean disease. Also if she’s been fighting the cold… and for a lovebird, anything below 40 for long periods can be pretty cold, especially with the wind, her immune system might be compromised. Which means any little thing can start catching hold in her system, like an URI.
                            Also, lovebirds are well known for harboring Psittacosis (parrot fever– YES you can get this from a bird in some cases!), Chlamydiosis (chlamydia– slightly different from the human version, but it’s true you can catch it from a pet bird) and the worst for the bird.. Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (PBFD). Lovebirds are more frequent carriers of this disease than other parrots, and while people cannot catch it, if the bird succumbs to symptoms or is simply a carrier to give it to other birds, you need to know because it is often a fatal disease and can cause great misery for the bird.
                            A blood panel will help determine the health of your lovebird.
                            Even if she does not actively have any of these diseases, she can be a ‘carrier’ and pass it to other birds (like some people can be carriers for Strep Throat, but never actually get it.. they ‘shed’ the virus and other people catch it). So even if she is okay, you’ll want to know for sure before having her around any other birds.

Additionally, since the owners of the poor thing obviously were not concerned with her well being, I sincerely doubt that they fed her properly, and she may well have vitamin deficiency and/or other problems that a blood panel will help determine.

Here is a link on parrot diet. It is too complex for me to write out in a post here. It’s a lot of work! I spend many many hours a week just on my bird’s diet. http://rationalparrot.com/diet.html

That should be enough to get you started! I think the most important thing will be to get her to a knowledgeable vet. I’ve been to many vets over the years and let me tell you, the difference between one that is knowledgeable in parrots and one that is just seeing my bird because they want the extra $$ is HUGE, and truly can make a difference between a healthy bird and an unhealthy one. You should have a bunch where you live Laurie!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                            My art: featherdust.com

BDW
                            Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Also, lovebirds are well known for harboring Psittacosis (parrot fever– YES you can get this from a bird in some cases!),

I saw this video about that yesterday: http://www.cbc.ca/video/popup.html?/mrl3/8752/vsu/wmv-hi/charles-sick-birds-090331.wmv

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.