fbpx

Bonsai Tree?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Bonsai Tree?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Heather
    Participant

Yes, my tree is an evergreen, although in the winter it is more red… which seems not to make sense lol. I have left my tree outdoors every day since I got it in May 2009. Never once have I brought it in the house. It has survived from extremes from over 90 degrees to below freezing… I have heard that if the weather will get extremely cold, like below 0, it is not a bad idea to move it to a slightly warmer location, but not too warm! Maybe put it in a garage temporarily or something, but it must be in cold conditions all winter long. The only thing I do in the winter is knock snow off that accumulates on it. I think the tree is perfectly fine with temperature fluctuations outside, right now in IL the nights can get to the 20’s and the daytime can be 50-60. It is bad for the tree to have it get warm in the wintertime, like bringing it into a house that is 70 degrees, because it causes the tree to come out of dormancy which can kill it. I have a friend who also had a juniper that was left indoors during the winter and the poor thing died in less than a year. I am still learning myself, but it seems junipers just really like it outside.
      ~Heather

Heather
      Participant

Also, my tree is in the little bonsai pot it came in, as well as in a larger hanging basket. I think the soil helps to keep the roots warm in the winter. There is also moss growing in the pot which also may help it. I don’t think you have to worry about the roots freezing as long as they are mostly covered in soil and the weather isn’t insanely cold.

Apari
        Participant

LavenderStarfish wrote:

Also, my tree is in the little bonsai pot it came in, as well as in a larger hanging basket. I think the soil helps to keep the roots warm in the winter. There is also moss growing in the pot which also may help it. I don’t think you have to worry about the roots freezing as long as they are mostly covered in soil and the weather isn’t insanely cold.

Thank’s for the info, that’s very helpful. I’ll just leave it outside then and move it to the shed if it gets really cold. But if you knock snow off yours and it’s still alive, then I don’t think I’ll have any problems here in Oklahoma. (It barely snows here in the winter)

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.