fbpx

Black gothic unicorn on Ebay

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Black gothic unicorn on Ebay

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    kitsunelady
    Participant

*has an easy solution to this whole problem* >.>

Paint it pink.

Anna
      Participant

At least they do note that it’s a repaint. I can’t imagine it would be a problem for Melody unless she painted some with the exact same patches of white, and maybe if she did gold hooves. I don’t really see a problem with it, as long as no one is mislead about what it is.

Melody
        Keymaster

I do plan to do black Gothic unicorns, in fact I have a black test paint somewhere, (or did we sell it?)…anyway, no, nothing illegal about repainting these. Since black is in a normal animal color, it isn’t copyright infringement either.
          We discourage repaints because it makes it hard to tell if something is fake or not.
          It would be good if the artist would sign the pieces and mark them as repaints, so the “Antique Road Show” of the future can identify them!

Nicole
          Participant

Please do black gothic unicorns!!!! I would love to add a black gothic to my my family since I can’t have the black grand unicorn (pouts) ๐Ÿ˜†

Skigod377
            Participant

kitsunelady wrote:

Paint it pink.
              Hmmm…. even I think that would look odd. ๐Ÿ˜€

kitsunelady
              Participant

skigod377 wrote:

kitsunelady wrote:

Paint it pink.
                Hmmm…. even I think that would look odd. ๐Ÿ˜€

Which makes it perfect, because Melody would never paint a gothic unicorn pink. ๐Ÿ˜€

Pam

A little OT but there was also a very pretty jade hatching empress on ebay too. I wanted to have a go at her but have other things I need my money for right now. Congrats to whoever won her.

Leigha
                  Participant

Pam Thompson wrote:

A little OT but there was also a very pretty jade hatching empress on ebay too. I wanted to have a go at her but have other things I need my money for right now. Congrats to whoever won her.

I was watching that auction, she went for $177!

Just like a couple weeks before that one was listed, I picked up a jade hatching empress for $50. But, mine has a couple tiny chips on her wing, and the one that just ended looked pretty mint.

Jasmine
                    Participant

Melody wrote:

I do plan to do black Gothic unicorns, in fact I have a black test paint somewhere, (or did we sell it?)…anyway, no, nothing illegal about repainting these. Since black is in a normal animal color, it isn’t copyright infringement either.
                      We discourage repaints because it makes it hard to tell if something is fake or not.
                      It would be good if the artist would sign the pieces and mark them as repaints, so the “Antique Road Show” of the future can identify them!

Oh, yes please…black!! squeek* squeek*

Rusti
                      Participant
                        Adaneth
                        Participant

Rusti wrote:

this person has also listed a repainted male unicorn and a repainted male pegasus:

http://cgi.ebay.com/windstone-male-blue-roan-unicorn-/250621297007?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5a31816f

http://cgi.ebay.com/windstone-male-sabino-paint-pegasus-/250621311321?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5a31b959

๐Ÿ˜ฎ I’ve been (impatiently) waiting for Melody to do a blue roan! Why did you have to tempt me?!? ๐Ÿ˜†

The seller probably doesn’t see a difference between repainting Windstones and repainting Breyers or the like, since it’s common in the model horse community. ๐Ÿ˜•

Nicole
                          Participant

I won that jade hatching empress on ebay ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜€ At least i’m hoping she is in fact jade. I studied her pictures really well to make sure she was but I guess I can’t be sure until she arrives. I wasn’t going to say anything until she did but since someone else caught that she might be jade I guess I will. I was wondering if anyone else noticed. I figured 177 wasn’t a bad price considering I paid more than that for a regular emerald one, especially since she’s supposed to be mint in box. This is only the third one I’ve seen other than leigha’s and Kipley’s. Leigha where did you get yours? It seems like they are the rarest of the jades, unless there really is a coiled mother jade out there… im not sure i believe there is one… ๐Ÿ˜› I’ll be so happy if she is jade when she arrives cause she’ll match my jade scratcher and coiled male ๐Ÿ™‚ . The only jade dragon i’m missing is the oriental and i’m not much of a fan of those.
                            I did see those other repaints…. Its one thing I think if you repaint them for yourself and then maybe decide to sell later when you aren’t collecting anymore.. but this seems more like blatant trying to make a profit… oh well… the only good one in my eyes is the black gothic and I think i’ll just wait for Melody’s since she has something up here sleeve ๐Ÿ™‚

Leigha
                            Participant

I got mine off eBay too!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200453818431&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Honestly, I’m surprised I won it for so cheap. I was expecting to lose, because I only had a certain amount I could spend on it. And it definitely looked like a jade, so again I was expecting more interest. Even with her damage.

Yours DEFINITELY looks Jade. I’ll be shocked if it’s not ๐Ÿ™‚ good win! Yours looks like she has brighter gold highlights too <3

I love the jade color. I wish Windstone could paint some dragons in that color, but I understand why they can’t.

Kujacker
                              Participant

NicoleH wrote:

I did see those other repaints…. Its one thing I think if you repaint them for yourself and then maybe decide to sell later when you aren’t collecting anymore.. but this seems more like blatant trying to make a profit… oh well… the only good one in my eyes is the black gothic and I think i’ll just wait for Melody’s since she has something up here sleeve ๐Ÿ™‚

I don’t know about the profit thing. Starting bids at $25 and $50? That doesn’t sound like profit to me… since the original statues cost way more.
                                Perhaps they were painted for themselves… but they’ve found they need to sell them? ๐Ÿ˜•

My problem is, why paint over a perfectly good statue? :< Would you go buy an expensive canvas painting and then turn around and paint something new on it? That's what bothers me. But oh well.

kitsunelady
                                Participant

Maybe she wanted the figurine, but didn’t like any of the colors it was available in, so she decided to do her own. Her choices are what…black and white? Unless she wants to sell a kidney to get an ebay’d version?

Or maybe she just wanted to try her hand at painting those particular pieces. If you were bound and determined to paint something on a particular size or shape of canvas, and it was only available already painted, then sure, you’d pay that much for it, to use your example. Especially if the painting already on it was not one-of-a-kind – she’s not robbing the world of something it’ll never see again, here.

Anyways, she might have gotten them pretty cheap, for all we know, with the exception of the gothic, which she has a reserve price on that seems to be set pretty high (I gave it a poke to see). Maybe at a flea market or a garage sale, since she claims they all had the same black markings on them…so they might have been sold as a lot.

I just finished a repaint myself, and had no problem with the price I paid for the sculpt. The keepers cost me a total of $60 (with shipping) to get…so paying around $100 for a production sculpt to paint in whatever color pleases me does not phase me at all. Of course, I did it for my own personal collection/enjoyment, and not to try to resell…but like Kujacker said, for all we know, that’s what she did too…and just suddenly found herself needing money more than she wanted to keep those repaints. Or it could be like Adaneth says, and she sees it in the same light as repainting Breyers…they ARE all hoofers, so that’s a good possibility. >.>

I wonder if she has any idea how much talk she’s stirred up around here? ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.