fbpx

Bird Count

Home Forums Miscellany Community Bird Count

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

The Great Backyard Bird Count is this weekend! If you like to look at birds, just a few minutes of your time can help SCIENCE and research into bird migrations, movement patterns, and help scientists get an idea on population sizes! Even if you only see common birds, that’s okay! All species are important to be counted, even invasive species help us understand.

http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Heather
      Participant

Thanks for the heads-up! I’ve sent in what I saw today while gardening. I just wish that flock of dingdong sparrows that keep stealing the chicken feed would hold still long enough for me to properly identify them! But they shoot out of the barn the minute I get within twenty feet. Their guilty consciences must plague them!

It’s a shame I’m not out and about as much on weekends as I am during the week. This neighborhood is crawling with birds. There’s a pair of ferruginous hawks, a half-dozen kestrels, and three or four redtails that I see every morning on the way to work. A few evenings ago I spotted two great horned owls just down the road at dusk. There’s an egret at the corner of our street most mornings, and a quartet of turkey vultures near work. And there’s that Cooper’s hawk that keeps eyeballing the chicken yard, and the small clan of ringneck doves that shows up to help clean up the grain. But I didn’t see any of them today, so I don’t think I should count them. Maybe I’ll spot some of these guys tomorrow. 🙂

Bodine
        Participant

I have noticed something odd here.The birds seem to have vanished! I am in the country and it has been a while since I heard birds singing or flying around. We have had pretty good weather for it being Winter too.hmmm thanks,I’ll pay more attention the next few days myself.

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
          Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Jennifer
          Keymaster

Thanks for the heads-up! I’ve sent in what I saw today while gardening. I just wish that flock of dingdong sparrows that keep stealing the chicken feed would hold still long enough for me to properly identify them! But they shoot out of the barn the minute I get within twenty feet. Their guilty consciences must plague them!

It’s a shame I’m not out and about as much on weekends as I am during the week. This neighborhood is crawling with birds. There’s a pair of ferruginous hawks, a half-dozen kestrels, and three or four redtails that I see every morning on the way to work. A few evenings ago I spotted two great horned owls just down the road at dusk. There’s an egret at the corner of our street most mornings, and a quartet of turkey vultures near work. And there’s that Cooper’s hawk that keeps eyeballing the chicken yard, and the small clan of ringneck doves that shows up to help clean up the grain. But I didn’t see any of them today, so I don’t think I should count them. Maybe I’ll spot some of these guys tomorrow. 🙂

It extends into monday… maybe you will have a chance, yet! 🙂

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
            My art: featherdust.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.