fbpx

Beauty related questions?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Beauty related questions?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    briteblades
    Participant

I love this forum, and my only way of giving back to you all is with what I know best! And since there are a lot of ladies here, I figured why not!
      I’m a professional hair stylist and makeup artist. I’ve had the honor of working on some pretty awesome feature films, but my dream would be doing prosthetic makeup on a medieval fantasy movie like LOTR, Hobbit, Narnia etc.
      You can either post in this thread or pm me!

WolfenMachine
      Participant

Wow, that’s awesome to do make up for movie stars :crown:
        And it sounds like a really fun job too.
        Do you have a brand you prefer over another? I’ve been looking for a good foundation.

I’ll share a secret I have. I’m white-SUPER white-and I don’t tan. I gave up trying to be tan. So I dont know how well this would work on anyone who actually has color, but its worth a try. I use cornstarch to keep my face feeling clean. I have oily skin, and cornstarch soaks up the oil, and sweat. Houston is a muggy place year round-so the cornstarch helps you not feel “gross” when the weather is gross. I keep a container of it in the bathroom and brush it on before I put any make up on. You just have to make sure its brushed or rubbed in well. A thin layer will do. Its also good to put on elsewhere on your body to seriously cut back on the sweat. Maybe its not such a big secret, but I have never heard it used for anything but cooking and baby diapers.

briteblades
        Participant

Foundation is one of the products I encourage my clients to “splurge” on. I really like Lancรดme’s, Makeup Forever, and Nars. Anything with a matte finish!
          Some drug store foundations can cause breakouts and look cakey. A tinted moisturizer may be good for you too with oily skin. It seems counterproductive to use a moisturizer but it helps keep oils at bay, especially around the tzone!
          The cornstarch tip is great! I am pale too, but I prefer that, it’s so much better for your skin!

Amy
          Participant

Do you know any good way of avoiding split ends? I get them constantly and it makes it hard to grow my hair out (admittedly it’s pretty long already, but I’d like it to hang down to below my bottom.)

KaytanaPhoenix
            Participant

Do you know any good way of avoiding split ends? I get them constantly and it makes it hard to grow my hair out (admittedly it’s pretty long already, but I’d like it to hang down to below my bottom.)

^^ I have the same prob. Mine is pretty long as is, also, but I’d like to get another couple inches to it.. it refuses to get any longer than this, though! and I’m afraid of cutting it too short, in fear it will just start splitting and having this prob at a shorter length! I’ve tried salon hair products, but they seem to only make my hair worse, feeling dry

Elena
              Participant

Awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€
                I am/was in theatre so got to work with a few makeup artists, had to learn a few tricks too cause somehow it was always me who wound up teaching the newbies and guys how to do make up, which is kinda ironic since I rarely wear makeup.

A couple of years ago I got to me a make up dummy for the local IATSE’s make up workshop and had bullet holes, scars and a black eye one day and was 40’s glam and since I have very ruddy skin had to be turned into “a person who has lived in a cave dwelling post apocalyptic society” as the challenge for the make up artist I was assigned to the next. :bigsmile:

I use MAC make up when I do wear make up. It’s the only stuff that I’ve ever had that I haven’t reacted to or felt like I was wearing a mask when I had it on. It’s expensive but totally worth it!

My hair is down to my butt (just long enough that I don’t actually sit on it when I sit down) My biggest problem is breakage, especially during winter since it’s so dry and cold here. I use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner but do you have any other tips?

Kujacker
                Participant

Hair has a “terminal length” for each person. Once it reaches that length, it won’t grow any longer.

Split ends are a big issue in general. Just wearing cotton clothing causes split ends. Sleeping on cotton pillow cases causes split ends. Brushing your hair causes split ends. I believe hot and cold weather cause them as well.

My hair is thigh length, and I have big problems with split ends. It seems once my hair reaches a length, it decides it’s going to just start splitting for no reason. Split ends also seem to affect different people in different ways. I had a long time friend that had hair as long as mine. He didn’t take care of it at all, ripped thru it while brushing it, and he always got it caught in cars/engines while on the job. Yet, his hair kept growing despite his lack of care.

I found a way to make air brushable, but it makes it look “dirty” (if you think a slick look means hair is dirty-which isn’t necessarily true). Apply plenty of shea butter or any Badger Balm product. It flattens the hair (cuticle?) so hair doesn’t catch while brushing.
                  I’ve seen people recommend always having your hair in a braid as well. But seeing as I can’t braid my own hair well (probably because of the length), I can’t take advantage of that advice.

Oh, and general consensus is conventional shampoos also cause split ends and damage in general. This includes “salon brands”. That’s why a lot of people “co-wash” or don’t use shampoo.

Also, I’m also pale white. The eye doctor was confused about it as well, since I’m dark hair/dark eyed but I’m pale white and have extreme eye sensitivity to the sun. Normally that’s all a blonde/blue eyed trait.
                  And yes, I wish I was even whiter. I hate tans. And I’m tired of people saying I need to get a tan and then scoffing when I tell them tans mean you have damaged skin.

briteblades
                  Participant

Any Jane, Foxfeather, and KaytanaPhoenix – A good thing to use for split ends is either Moroccan oil or argan oil. Its a very light moisturizing oil. Only use it on your ends though, anything on the scalp area will make your hair greasy and bleh ๐Ÿ™ Use shampoos and conditioners that work for you! WEN is a newer cleansing conditioner that’s pretty new. You comb it through your hair in the shower and it doesn’t have that damaging detergents that shampoos have. It’s pricey, but it lasts awhile!
                    Also, regular trims will keep split ends at bay. I never understood when people use to say “Cut your hair so it will grow” until I got into the beauty industry. When you have split ends, they slowly split all the way up and prevent hair from growing. Only an inch off should do the trick if you keep up on them. I tell my clients it’s merely “hair dust” we are taking off, not affecting the length whatsoever. Hair usually grows at about 1/2 inch a month.
                    Foxfeather- That’s awesome! I LOVE theatre makeup. And 40’s and 50’s glam is my favorite. I love doing pin-up looks. MAC is so much fun. I go crazy with all the different colors!
                    Kujacker- Great tips! I understand completely. I’m so incredibly pale. And I have black hair with purple in the bangs. Its a big contrast, lol. I get the same reaction when I tell people tanning is horrible for your skin. But whatever. When we’re older, our skin won’t look leathery! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Pretty jealous of you girls with long hair! I just got hair extensions, so my once shoulder length hair is now to the middle of my back and I LOVE IT.

KaytanaPhoenix
                    Participant

About how often do you recommend trimming? ‘n I will have to check out those hair products for sure!
                      I know my hair goes through some beatings, I dye it (No more than once every 3 months.. usually longer than that, though) and it gets an occasional hair drier or flat iron..
                      I’ve learned with my hair that if it’s feeling particularly dry, that if I use a conditioner it likes and once out of the shower, I’ll clip my hair up ‘n leave it up for the day (or a couple hours, anyway), when it comes out of the clip it’s usually still damp, but when it dries (and tends to dry quickly) it feels better…

briteblades
                      Participant

About how often do you recommend trimming? ‘n I will have to check out those hair products for sure!
                        I know my hair goes through some beatings, I dye it (No more than once every 3 months.. usually longer than that, though) and it gets an occasional hair drier or flat iron..
                        I’ve learned with my hair that if it’s feeling particularly dry, that if I use a conditioner it likes and once out of the shower, I’ll clip my hair up ‘n leave it up for the day (or a couple hours, anyway), when it comes out of the clip it’s usually still damp, but when it dries (and tends to dry quickly) it feels better…

I would trim at least a half inch every 2 months or so!
                        That’s a good idea with the clip! Also, if you find yourself with nothing to do one morning, leave a heavy conditioner in your hair, don’t rinse, and clip it up. (Heavy conditioner impacts more moisture and won’t drip as you go about your morning activities.) You can make your own too! Here are some recipes http://maddieruud.hubpages.com/hub/Hair_Masques

KaytanaPhoenix
                        Participant

I would trim at least a half inch every 2 months or so!
                          That’s a good idea with the clip! Also, if you find yourself with nothing to do one morning, leave a heavy conditioner in your hair, don’t rinse, and clip it up. (Heavy conditioner impacts more moisture and won’t drip as you go about your morning activities.) You can make your own too! Here are some recipes http://maddieruud.hubpages.com/hub/Hair_Masques

Awesome! I’ll have to try that sometime! Thank You so much for these tips ๐Ÿ™‚

Amy
                          Participant

Thanks for the tips everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

And I’m glad you’re enjoying your extensions. I love long hair. I bet you look beautiful.

Kujacker
                            Participant

About Wen. Read reviews before buying a product that’s marked up so high. As it stands, Wen is just a “co-wash”. If you’re handy, I found a “recipe” on making the Wen product using just cheap store bought conditioner. Here’s the link (there are three parts, links at the bottom of the post). I’ve never tried it, since I’ve moved away from chemicals and “cheap” conditioners, so I don’t have any feedback.

There is also Hair One sold by Sally stores (a Wen knock off, just at a way affordable price). I’ve used it, but if used exclusively for months, it leaves build up on hair. But it’s a good way to see if you like the “idea” of Wen before paying their huge prices.
                              Also, by using SkinDeep‘s tools, Hair One has a hazard rating of 5, and Wen 4. So if you’re concerned about chemicals and safety and such, check this website out.

Since I was young, I’ve always wanted hair that could drag on the ground lol. My hair just refuses to grow past the thigh length :/

briteblades
                              Participant

Wen DOES leave buildup. It’s important to rinse super well. I used it once a week as opposed to everyday or every other day. My hair isn’t thick, and I’ve seen success on my clients who have used it. I don’t sell any of these products, just giving my honest opinion from what I’ve seen!
                                If your dying your hair, please don’t use a box dye. If you want to maintain healthy hair use a semi-permanent, available at your salon. They don’t have any ammonia in them, and your hair actually feels better after you use it! Every time you put permanent dye over your hair again and again, it weakens the cuticle of your hair, making it thinner.

Azurielle
                                Participant

Ok, I’ve got a question. My hair is ALWAYS frizzy, no matter what I’ve done, or what products I’ve tried. Drives me nuts. any ideas that doesn’t leave hair feeling stiff/greasy/sticky?

Keeper of the Fledgings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.