Back from convention

Home Forums Miscellany Community Back from convention

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jodi
    Participant

Jodi
      Participant

Well, I had a crappy convention this weekend. It was in Fargo, ND. It’s usually really good for sales, but there was hardly anyone there this time. I’m so sad. I didn’t sell a single Windstone, and hardly any other statues. The things that did go were mostly under $20 each, which may have been okay if I’d had more of them. And I didn’t sell a single skull (see website for reference), and that just doesn’t happen. I usually sell out of them.

I did manage to pay for my expenses of being there. And maybe the cost of the items sold. I was hoping to pay a couple of bills off and have some money for Christmas. Looks like that isn’t happening.

The one bright spot in the weekend was that I entered the masquerade contest in my Cleopatra outfit and won 2nd place! I was a little perturbed though, because the girl who won first bought her costume on the internet, and I made mine. She was Harley Quinn from Batman. It was a good costume; she just didn’t make it. They didn’t even ask that stuff though. I think they should have. Second place is still good. There were about 15 contestants, so that’s something. I got a DVD of horror movies from the 70s. I don’t watch horror movies, so I might sell it on eBay, or here, if anyone is interested.

The cats were glad to see us when we came home last night. I am glad to be home too. I still have to figure out receipts, etc., so I may have done better than I think for money. It just didn’t seem like much when I had to pack up all the same boxes again.

Rachel
        Participant

That’s a bummer. I think people are feeling a bit more budget constrained right now. The economy is scaring them, and lots of people have been out jobs on and off over the past year or two. Hope the receipts show that you sold more than you thought.

Maria
          Participant

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t do as well as you’d hoped, emerald. I wish I could order a Windstone from you, but I can’t do that until March or so… Hang in there!

dragonmedley
            Participant

Well, congrats on the great costume!

The low attendance sucks, though…

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
              I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
              http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

frozendragon
              Participant

huh… I should have sent you my PYO.. you could have made the first place winner buy it from you…

LOL

Katherine
                Participant

Congrats on the costume! I’m sorry not everything went as well as you’d like, but I’m glad there were some high moments!

Jodi
                  Participant

frozendragon wrote:

huh… I should have sent you my PYO.. you could have made the first place winner buy it from you…

LOL

😆

Jodi
                    Participant

OK. I did the receipts, and it’s okay. Not great, but okay. I can still pay off the bill I wanted to, but I won’t have a lot left after that – and I have to ration it for next semester. It won’t go far (only a couple hundred dollars). I certainly was lower than last year. And it’s weird too, because the con I did in July this year was a record convention for sales. I don’t get it.

It was weird too, in terms of the things that sold and what didn’t sell. Lots of people looked at the Windstone stuff, but no one bought any. I usually sell more Windstones than anything else I have. Weird! I’m just confused. 😕

darjeb
                      Participant

Congratulations on 2nd place post a picture of it for us to see. I am sorry sales were bad for you but I think that is par for every place right now

Jodi
                        Participant

I didn’t get a good pic this time, but there are pics of me wearing the costume in another post at another convention.

That’s typical convention though. You go in with a bunch of things you are certain will sell and a few things you figure won’t, and then they buy the stuff you thought wouldn’t and the stuff you thought would sits.

Happens to me every time I go to sell my art. So next con I go to, I am not selling, it isn’t worth it to sell maybe $300 worth of stuff and miss the whole con cause you are chained to a table in the dealers room.

Best sales ever was at a dinky little con called Califur…did record sales for me, but then the dealers room was small and there wasn’t a lot of big names giving me competition, so we all did pretty good.

Kyrin

siberakh1
                          Participant

Oh, I’m glad you were able to pay off the bill you wanted and your expenses of being there. Everything is really wonky right now with the economy.

Jodi
                            Participant

Kyrin wrote:

That’s typical convention though. You go in with a bunch of things you are certain will sell and a few things you figure won’t, and then they buy the stuff you thought wouldn’t and the stuff you thought would sits.

Happens to me every time I go to sell my art. So next con I go to, I am not selling, it isn’t worth it to sell maybe $300 worth of stuff and miss the whole con cause you are chained to a table in the dealers room.

Best sales ever was at a dinky little con called Califur…did record sales for me, but then the dealers room was small and there wasn’t a lot of big names giving me competition, so we all did pretty good.

Kyrin

Oh, I know. I do four to six conventions per year, and have done them for 15 years or so.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.