fbpx

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Avatars – Now fixed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I know the avatars are broken guys, so please stop sending the PM’s .. I already have a dozen.. I’m looking at it now, doesn’t make sense at this moment, but I’ve only been awake for 20 minutes.

Anonymous

Starbreeze
        Participant

Snapdragon wrote:

I know the avatars are broken guys, so please stop sending the PM’s .. I already have a dozen.. I’m looking at it now, doesn’t make sense at this moment, but I’ve only been awake for 20 minutes.

Good luck! I hope it isn’t one of those weird obscure problems that turns into a troubleshooting nightmare….been there, done that… πŸ˜₯

Anonymous

πŸ˜₯ you were saying…

Something is wrong with php and permissions. The avatars are being created but zero byted on write. It’s affecting …. every… thing… avatars, webmail … sigh..

I just upgraded to PHP 5 in an attempt to solve the problem because CentOS came with 4.3.9, and we were running 4.4.2 on the old machine, so I had hopes.. but .. no, problem remains, and I’m slowly creating more.

My hand hurts and I’m hungry.

Starbreeze
            Participant

Snapdragon wrote:

πŸ˜₯ you were saying…

Something is wrong with php and permissions. The avatars are being created but zero byted on write. It’s affecting …. every… thing… avatars, webmail … sigh..

I just upgraded to PHP 5 in an attempt to solve the problem because CentOS came with 4.3.9, and we were running 4.4.2 on the old machine, so I had hopes.. but .. no, problem remains, and I’m slowly creating more.

My hand hurts and I’m hungry.

Poor Snappy….not sure why your hand hurts, but it mos def sounds like you need a break. I’m sure you’ll figure it out in time. A break always helps….

Anonymous

I broke it in four places a couple years ago. For some reason it started stabbing pains on Friday and won’t let up.

Typing isn’t helping either, the pinky-on-return key hurts the most.

Starbreeze
                Participant

Snapdragon wrote:

I broke it in four places a couple years ago. For some reason it started stabbing pains on Friday and won’t let up.

Typing isn’t helping either, the pinky-on-return key hurts the most.

Ouch! And of course it has to act up now. Avatars aren’t life and death, they’re just cool. Sounds like a bit of down time is in order. Troubleshooting is like that sometimes….you need to walkaway and give yourself a chance to think of some new ideas. πŸ™‚

littleironhorse
                  Participant

Yes, please don’t feel you have to solve this now, I really don’t care all that much about avatars! Do take a break and take care of that hand. Hands are so fragile with all those small bones and all the nerves and tendons, you don’t want to hurt it any more than it already has been!

Anonymous

It’s not just avatars, the same problem that is breaking them is breaking different functionality across all the sites here. It has to be fixed or at least the root cause located to determine the scope of the problem.

Starbreeze
                      Participant

Snapdragon wrote:

It’s not just avatars, the same problem that is breaking them is breaking different functionality across all the sites here. It has to be fixed or at least the root cause located to determine the scope of the problem.

OMG…that is bad…do you think it’s hardware or operating system related? Is all the functionality related to images?

Starbreeze
                        Participant

Another thought…could it be a virus? I know viruses like to piggyback on images. That’s why the firewall where I work strips all images from emails. Since it started with images (avatars), I have to wonder if it’s something like that.

Anonymous

No one writes viruses for linux. πŸ˜† It was just file permission related because PHP is locked down in ‘safe mode’ and it’s very very picky about what gets to see/write/what where.

It’s fixed now. Only took 6 hours. I could use some breakfast now.

Thing is though, if you guys have avatars hosted on photobucket or whatever, you shouldn’t use the “remote upload” avatar anyways, you should use remote “linking”, but that’s not turned on .. I will fix it. That will save bandwidth and server time here.

Anonymous

Oh, as much as I love attention I’m not replying to all those avatar broken PM’s individually πŸ˜€

Starbreeze
                              Participant

Snapdragon wrote:

Oh, as much as I love attention I’m not replying to all those avatar broken PM’s individually πŸ˜€

Nice flower…wonder where you got it from… πŸ˜†

SPark
                                Participant

Snapdragon wrote:

Thing is though, if you guys have avatars hosted on photobucket or whatever, you shouldn’t use the “remote upload” avatar anyways, you should use remote “linking”, but that’s not turned on .. I will fix it. That will save bandwidth and server time here.

I’d wondered why you didn’t have that turned on in the first place.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.