fbpx

Auntie Mag's Eggs – Image heavy

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion Auntie Mag's Eggs – Image heavy

• This topic has 27 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 17 years ago by ..
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Lokie
    Participant

Wow, those are lovely ๐Ÿ™‚

Elena
      Participant

THose are incredible! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ I can’t imagine the paitience it would take to do all that! What lovely reminders of you grandmother Pegasi. I hope non of them are ever harmed in any of your moves!!

Pegasi1978
        Participant

Thank you! I can imagine that it took some patience to do them. When I move they get packed in lots of tissue paper, bubble wrap and peanuts. There are a few cracks here and there, but nothing major.

I wish I could remember what some of the ones looked like that we lost over the years because of being dropped on the floor or other reasons. She made so many of them it’s hard to keep track.

Starbreeze
          Participant

Oh Peg, your grandmother’s eggs are so incredibly beautiful!!! Thank you so much for sharing them, and her, with us. ๐Ÿ˜€

How cool! Do you know how she carved them? Have you ever thought about learning to make new ones? (It’d be a lot of fun to do when your son gets old enough to participate.)
            We learned psanky when we lived in Canada (early 80’s) and our neighbors were Ukranian. We still do some every year around Easter (so I know what you mean about eggs being tough & delicate at the same time).

Pegasi1978
            Participant

She either used a dremmel tool or a dentist drill. I can’t remember which as it’s been 14 years since she passed away. I think we gave her tools to someone who was in a club with her when she lived in Birmingham, AL. I have considered learning how to make new ones. Something tells me she would be proud if I did. I just can’t draw worth a darn so I couldn’t do any painting of flowers like she did on that one angel egg.

I wrote a newspaper article on a gentleman who does psanky eggs where I used to live. He only does them during Lent. It was really cool seeing how it was done and didn’t look to hard so I guess I could always start there.

Starbreeze
              Participant

It would be cool if you would try. We would all be interested to see them as they progess. ๐Ÿ™‚

Bob

very artistic just like my mom

Quote:

I wrote a newspaper article on a gentleman who does psanky eggs where I used to live. He only does them during Lent. It was really cool seeing how it was done and didn’t look to hard so I guess I could always start there.

It’s not hard! Very fun. I used to have a how-to series of photos up on a website…I’ll try to repost them. Anymore it’s easy to order the stuff you need online (and they have all kinds of electrical tools now too that make it easier, but using candles & such is way more fun). I’m interested in how to cut open & shape the eggs… I guess she started with a pinhole like you use for blowing the eggs?

Pegasi1978
                  Participant

boskydragon wrote:

Quote:

It’s not hard! Very fun. I used to have a how-to series of photos up on a website…I’ll try to repost them. Anymore it’s easy to order the stuff you need online (and they have all kinds of electrical tools now too that make it easier, but using candles & such is way more fun). I’m interested in how to cut open & shape the eggs… I guess she started with a pinhole like you use for blowing the eggs?

Yeah he gave me a catalogue from one of the places he got his supplies from and they are online as well. I think I still have it, if not I’m sure I can Google it. I’m not really sure how she cut the openings out because she never did that when we were visiting, but I would imagine it would be similar – just in the side of the egg rather than on the ends. Most of her eggs have pin holes at the top and bottom where they were blown out, she just found ways to disguise them.

laphon1
                    Participant

Pegasil, those eggs are exquisite! Thank you for sharing them, and your Grandmother, with us. Such lovely memories they must hold. And I second the opinion…If she did not win awards for those eggs, she should have.

pegasi1978 wrote:

boskydragon wrote:

Quote:

Yeah he gave me a catalogue from one of the places he got his supplies from and they are online as well. I think I still have it, if not I’m sure I can Google it. I’m not really sure how she cut the openings out because she never did that when we were visiting, but I would imagine it would be similar – just in the side of the egg rather than on the ends. Most of her eggs have pin holes at the top and bottom where they were blown out, she just found ways to disguise them.
                      I had to look it up and I found this http://www.todeirdre.com/pages/Pysanky/PysankyMain.html I am sure there is more info on the web. It looks really cool.

Participant

Pegasai, thank you so much for sharing these photos. The eggs are so wonderfully done. I especially like the ones with little scenes in them. What detail to work and patience it would have taken…. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.