fbpx

Argh! My Garden!!!

Home Forums Miscellany Community Argh! My Garden!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Elena
    Participant

Elena
      Participant

Okay so I come home tonight and notice that the lovely tulips that were growing nicely and that I was sooo looking forward to are missing!!!! Upon closer inspection I notice that the Leaves have been mowed down almost to the dirt. And right next to the eaten leaves are the footprints of the perpetrators!!! Nice delicate cloven hooves ๐Ÿ˜ก The ***** DEER ate my tulips!!! ๐Ÿ‘ฟ I live in what would be considered inner city and Deer ate my garden! I was very close to crying ๐Ÿ˜ฅ then really mad then rushed around to check the other beds. They ate 2 out of 3. So now all the beds are covered in chicken wire (and look awful) but hopefully it will discourage repeat offenders. I was soo looking forward to my tulips, esspecially the blue and white ones. And the funny thing? the deer only ate the tulips. They left the poppies, daffodils, irises and bleeding heart alone. I don’t mind deer, but tulips are not in their natural diet. Well, here’s hoping they will be able to survive, even if I don’t get flowers this year! ๐Ÿ˜ฅ ๐Ÿ˜ฅ ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

That really sux! I used to live up in the mountains and deer would always eat all of my dad’s flowers! We also had a problem with groundhogs, but my dad took care of them…!

Maria
        Participant

What a nuiscance, foxfeather. We have problems in our garden with mice eating the bulbs.

drag0nfeathers
          Participant

I’m sorry! I’d be excited though only because I’ve never even seen a deer before. Well, not unless it was behind a nature preserve fence with pellets to feed it.

Got a busted Windstone?
            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
            Siphlophis Male Dragon
            Calypso Hatching Empress
            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
            Tattoo Mother Kirin
            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Elena
            Participant

I didn’t actually see them, just the footprints. Though sometimes when we take the dog out late at night we see them in one of the parks. The dog loves them (whine whine bark bark more whining) CAlgary is supposed to be an urban area, 1 million people and I live a 5min drive from downtown. And it’s not just deer we get. Blacks Bears have been spotted downtown, coyotes everywhere (they’ve taken to trapping and killing some of them cause there are SO many in the city and they attack pets and small children) and the occasional cougar that wanders in over by the resevior ๐Ÿ˜ฏ (Which is a 10 min drive from my place)

Skigod377
              Participant

Im sorry the deer ate your tulips. Kids are the perps over here. Adults plant and kids stomp and rip up. Its terrible.

dragonmedley
                Participant

My parents have had that problem for years – the deers, not tromping people. Instead of chicken wire, you can use that black plastic mesh. You can hardly see it and it’s just as effective as the rest, sometimes even more so ’cause the deer can’t see it and it scares them. Watch out for budding hostas too. They like the really tender stuff.

At my house, a stupid rabbit chomped on my crocus. We got the dog to chase it around, but if it comes back, golf club and rabbit stew, man!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                  I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                  http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

I don’t know what to do about deer, but I know that putting some dog hair around your plants will keep rabbits away. I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem with deer. I know in Kitchener we have fox, deer and skunks. We don’t see the deer too often. My friends dogs (american bulldogs) have killed a few deer though.
                  My Grandparents delt with deer, wolves etc. (They used to live across the street from a nature reserve, that and they lived in the country) They had big problems with porcupines, and rats though.

Oh look at this website http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h462deer-coping.html deer repellent plants. ๐Ÿ™‚

Megan
                  Participant

Bambi, shame on you! Maybe the tulips will give the little nibblers a nice bout of indigestion since they’re not in the usual diet… That’ll teach ’em.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.