fbpx

Anyone do non-MMORPG roleplay?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Anyone do non-MMORPG roleplay?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Rachel
    Participant

Lots of rpers. The Second Life rp is a live chat type rp, but it’s in a 3D world. Like WoW, kind of. I think, though I’ve never played WoW. Except that it’s not game-based. It’s pretty free rp with some coordinated plot injected on occasion. Most rp evolves from individually produced plots. The sim on which I rp is filling with very good rpers (it’s a pretty new sim http://www.humboldtsmythe.org/). They’re pretty strict about godmodding, metagaming, and such. It’s semi-canon Harry Potter-based. That is, there is a Hogwarts somewhere (there are other sims that actually have a Hogwarts castle, but they tend to be filled with the very people Jennifer was complaining about).

I’ve never done LARP. I’m a bit too awkward about physical acting to be comfortable doing that, even though I did debate and speech in high school and college. Wish I had that kind of confidence. I dress up for the Renaissance festival, though! πŸ˜‰

Oh, and Chessapeaka, weird things happen in Munchkin. You might not be playing it “right,” but if it’s fun, it doesn’t matter much. We and our friends have all of the versions and expansions, I think. We’ve bent the rules a bit, sometimes, but we’re pretty honest about it. Yet I almost always end up being a wizard with the Magnificent Hat (original Munchkin) and everyone hates me for it πŸ˜†

Jodi
      Participant

We play 3E and 3.5 D&D. We also play a Traveller game. Nothing online though. All at tables with actual live people next to us. πŸ˜€ It’s how we see our friends regularly since we live so far away. Of course, it means a lot of traveling for us.

Pegasi1978
        Participant

Used to play Star Wars (with 6-siders and later with 10-siders), White Wolf, only done a little D & D. Would like to get back into a game, but the friends I would game with live in different states.

Rachel
          Participant

Yeah, I really enjoy face-to-face games with my friends. Unfortunately, we’re all so busy now, that our schedules conflict more often than not. That’s why I enjoy the Second Life stuff. I know some of the people in real life, at least. Nothing beats a game of Munchkin with pizza and beer (or ale, or cider, or Belgian Kriek, or whatever).

Pizza and beer sound like the perfect accompaniment to Munchkin… Sigh… Someday, I will be old enough for beer! But anyhow, there is just something about that game that definitely calls for a beer. Perhaps it’s the silliness. Speaking of which, thanks for the clarification, ghostndragon. I guess there isn’t a wrong way to play that game!

I didn’t realize Second Life had live chat stuff, but I guess that totally makes sense. Duh. I really don’t know much about Second Life other than that my aunt teaches forgiveness at the Mystical Academy. It’s cool that SL has a lot of RP things, I had no idea.

MOO and MUSH are awesome names for games. They sound pretty neat!

Jennifer
            Keymaster

I don’t have anyone within 200 miles to do tabletop RP with. πŸ™

I used to RP on a dragon MUCK but sadly it no longer exists. :/ Does anyone know of any good places other that Istaria that has decent dragon-RP?

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
              My art: featherdust.com

Stephanie
              Participant

There are lots of MOOs and MUSHes out there. MUSH stands for Multi-User-Shared-Hallucination. πŸ˜€

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUSH

MOO is just another coding platform for the same type of thing.

You log in with a program (I use SimpleMU*), create a character, and explore the text world, interacting with other people’s characters. Essentially you’re writing a story with people from all over the world.

Right now I play on several Pern-themed games, but the one I’m most attached to is PernWorld. Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll help get you started! πŸ˜€

Jen – There is dragon RP on all the Pern games, but if you’re interested in actually RPing /as/ a dragon, then Harper’s Tale might be the place. They’re a Pern-themed MOO, but they’ve got the option for people to have their impressed dragon played by another person.

Jennifer
                Keymaster

Oh.. Pern. x_x I mean absolutely no offense, but I just can’t stand Pern. πŸ˜†

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Lupin
                  Participant

I forgot I had just started playing Moo’s/Muck’s/Mush’s just before I’ld lost computer and internet of my own for half a decade, and haven’t really been able to get back into it since. And again no personal internet. And Table Top of several different types, again no group out here to help me try and remember, it’s been more than a few years. Read as almost a decade on both accounts. Would love to get back into it, but no one/time right now. *SIGH* that was even before the baby.

I sometimes rp my pets on Gaia but that’s it… even then very rarely. ^^;

Stephanie
                    Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Oh.. Pern. x_x I mean absolutely no offense, but I just can’t stand Pern. πŸ˜†

*grin* None taken. I understand, believe me. πŸ˜€

nessiemom
                      Participant

Geez, am I out of touch! We used to do standard D&D, and I don’t think it’d even be considered table-top, since we just used our sheets, dice and imagination! Did venture off into Cyberpunk (talk about blast from the past!) and loved it, but unfortunately all the people I gamed with kind of grew apart…
                        Hubby keeps trying to get me into WoW, but I dunno…

Purplecat
                        Participant

I rarely do get to play games…the only online play thing I really do is TEF (The Endless Forest), which works also as a kinda cool screensaver, since you dont HAVE to do anything! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† I love looking at all the other deer though. πŸ™‚

siberakh1
                          Participant

nessiemom wrote:

Geez, am I out of touch! We used to do standard D&D, and I don’t think it’d even be considered table-top, since we just used our sheets, dice and imagination! Did venture off into Cyberpunk (talk about blast from the past!) and loved it, but unfortunately all the people I gamed with kind of grew apart…
                            Hubby keeps trying to get me into WoW, but I dunno…

Yup. D&D is considered a tabletop RPG!

Rachel
                            Participant

Here’s where I rp most of the time. This is just the website for the sim. The sim is on Second Life (which is free, by the way).
                              http://www.humboldtsmythe.org/

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.