fbpx

Antiquing what?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Antiquing what?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

This has probably been mentioned before, but people keep mentioning that they use Golden brand antiquing gel. However, I went to my local art supply dealer and they said that Golden had nothing called antiquing gel. I also searched online sources for antiquing gel, and I can’t find what people keep saying exists!

Anyway, my question is: is the antiquing gel called something else? Or do you use some sort of thinner and antique using that? I’d like to buy some for my first commission but if I can’t find if it exists, I can’t buy it 😥

Any place that sells the stuff, some links and search criteria would be great.

THANKS!!

Lokie
    Participant

I’ve never heard of Golden brand, but DecoArt Staining/Antiquing Gel is what many member use, including Nambroth (err… Jennifer Miller). Ceramcoat Gel Stain Medium by Delta is another brand a few members mentioned, but supposedly it is being discontinued.

You can also use retarder/acrylic mix to antique. In case you haven’t seen this, Jennifer wrote a basic guide to painting the PYOs, which has a section on antiquing with both gel and retarder. The PYO FAQ thread is extremely useful as well.

These aren’t the only ways to antique, but are some of the more popular methods. If you do a search on this forum for “antiquing gel”, you’ll find a lot of threads on this subject you might find useful.

As for where to purchase, I pick mine up at my local Michael’s or AC Moore. I can’t vouch for the two provided websites (I just linked to them so you can see photos of the gels), as I’ve never purchased from them. Good luck!

Skigod377
      Participant

Yeah, I have not seen antique by Golden, but the regular paints that Windstone uses are that brand. I use the DecoArt antique, I think its called, and I love it.

Maybe I was mistaken about the Brand….. hehe oops 😳

Well, we do have Michaels around here so maybe I will pay them a visit…

pipsxlch
        Participant

Michael’s has the DecoArt antiquing stuff… at least mine does. I thought it worked well, though I’ve only done 2 PYOs so far.

For me, there’s a HUGE difference between the Golden paint and the Ceramcoat/Apple Barrel/Folk Art stuff. I’d customized Sandicast dogs with the latter brands, and never liked them really, though they got the job done. Figured all acrylics must suck (I like oil and watercolor to paint). Then, when I got my 1st PYO and got the Golden paints (at Michael’s) per the tutorials, WOW what a difference! They’re so much easier to use and give so much a richer/deeper effect!

I love the golden and liquitex. Got some stuff for 60% off, I’ll use them till they are empty but, yuk! I have to stir with a folded out paperclip everytime or all I get is water… No wonder they were discontinued, no one wanted them!

pipsxlch
          Participant

guess I should add one thing though- when I added the paint to the antiquing gel, it seemed quite thick and wanted to stick too much (even with a little retarder added). I tried thinning it a little with water, and it worked like a charm.
            Gotta love the cheap stuff huh? 😉 I have a few bottles of it that are paste and water.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.