fbpx

Antiquing Question!

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone Antiquing Question!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Landipan
    Participant

Can you Antique directly on top of plain Gypsum? Because I tried it and it didn’t work so well lol.

I just got my very first bottle of DecoArt’s Antiquing medium and tried it out using black acrylic on a small area of my PYO as to experiment and see what it would do, and I waited maybe 30 seconds to a minute before gently wiping some away and it appears to have just stained the entire area that I brushed it onto. So, it ended up looking like a applied a light wash of black on that area, so it got me wondering was I not supposed to apply it directly onto un-primered Gypsum? Did it just soak it all up? Did I need to add more medium to the acrylic?

Thanks in advance!

*Formerly meowmix101
      Not currently open for PYO commissions.

Kim
      Blocked

If you apply any paint to plain gypsum and then try and wipe it, it will just stain whatever it touches as gypsum soaks up paint. The only way antiquing works is if you paint it on a painted surface so it will wipe off. Even then it can stain paint and be hard to wipe off sometimes unless you clear coat the paint first. I am just curious was there a reason to try antiquing something that wasn’t painted yet? I don’t think medium would make a difference or not if you apply it on plain gypsum.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

SPark
        Participant

If you want to just antique over a white piece, you’re going to have to paint it white or seal it first. Antiquing doesn’t work on bare gypsum, no.

Kiya
          Participant

Yes, you really can’t antique bare gypsum, it will just absorb the antiquing medium unfortunately. Gypsum is thirsty stuff!

Even on painted pieces, I usually clear coat before I antique – it makes it much easier to rub the excess antiquing medium off the piece without discoloring the places I don’t want antiqued. Then just clear coat again once the antiquing is good. πŸ™‚

Landipan
            Participant

Thanks all, I appreciate the answers and tips! They will be super handy in the future! πŸ™‚

Also, I have another random question! What is your favorite thing to thin your paint with? I’ve heard water is a no no, so what is your preferred medium/whatever to thin out thicker paints?

*Formerly meowmix101
              Not currently open for PYO commissions.

KaytanaPhoenix
              Participant

100% of the time I will clear coat before I antique.. I tried it once straight over paint and removed some paint in the process… clearcoating helps prevent that from happening. As for applying straight over bare gypsum, as everyone pointed out, the gypsum will soak in the antique, thats what makes Windstones so fun to tea/coffee stain… If you’re trying to preserve the gypsums white, clear coat first, probably not a bad idea to get a couple coats on it to avoid missing a spot πŸ™‚

KaytanaPhoenix
                Participant

Thanks all, I appreciate the answers and tips! They will be super handy in the future! πŸ™‚

Also, I have another random question! What is your favorite thing to thin your paint with? I’ve heard water is a no no, so what is your preferred medium/whatever to thin out thicker paints?

I use Liquitex Gloss Medium

depends on how i am feeling. usally gac 100, 200 or 500 but sometimes afr with water. (golden)

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
                  www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
                  Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Blight
                  Participant

What Kim said. You’ve got to add a coat of paint first; gypsum is porous and will just suck up mediums.

You can try various whites, or even tea to give it a ivory look.

Hannah
                    Participant

Golden Retarder is my favorite, though you can’t use a ton of it in paints or they will never dry. Still, the amount that I use when mixing paints is always perfect for me – it takes the thickest paints and thins them out to a nice, creamy texture that’s not too watery. πŸ™‚

Commission spots are currently closed! Please message me for details.
                      Please visit My Webpage to see my art and PYO's that I've done in the past!

WolfenMachine
                      Participant

I’m glad this got brought up because I have a piece I wanted to antique but I’m SUPER happy with his paint job and have been too scared to mess him up so he’s been chilling out for months waiting for me to get brave.

KaytanaPhoenix
                        Participant

I’m glad this got brought up because I have a piece I wanted to antique but I’m SUPER happy with his paint job and have been too scared to mess him up so he’s been chilling out for months waiting for me to get brave.

I remember that fear! That’s why I got used to doing dry brushing effects, the “antique” look on my pieces is usually the base coat, then I can adjust my color over that a whole lot easier! lol… But when you do get brave, definitely clear coat! It helps assure you don’t stain the paint, and helps assure the paint stays on the Windstone XD I’d also personally recommend glossy clear coat for this step (even if you intend to satin/matte finish the final piece) cause the gloss will make it easier to wipe up the antique (Kind of like glossy painted walls are easier to clean than matte finish).. I also recommend antiquing patches of the piece at a time, not the whole thing at once… – That’s my .02 anyway πŸ™‚

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.