fbpx

Another Question about drawing tablets

Home Forums Miscellany Community Another Question about drawing tablets

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Setsunawolf
    Participant

I have a protective skin on my iPad and e-readers, do I need something similar to protect the drawing area on the grafire tablet?

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
      Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
      Sun Dragon Koi #3

Erika
      Participant

Not sure about writing in a word document, but I highly recommend a wacom. It will be easier to write on a larger on than a little 4×6. I’ve had both, and the larger one, in the long run, is worth every penny more. My current one is has a 9×6 drawing area, and it’s wonderful. Wacom is top of the line, and they’re fairly sturdy. I bought my little graphire in 2004 (?) and it’s still going strong. Had the big one for three years now and works like it did out of the box; even the drawing surface has very little wear.

Sikek
        Participant

I think most people will always suggest a Wacom, myself included! =)

I don’t have any problems against a smaller tablet is cost is an issue though. I’ve used smaller ones for years without any problems, although for some it might just be down to preference. Upgrading to larger, I have to fiddle with the mapping settings, the tracking was too slow!

dragonmedley
          Participant

I know we have people here who use graphic tablets, so I’m gonna ask you all some questions. I teach English comp, and I was wondering if I can use a tablet to write my comments onto the MS word documents.

Which ones work best as I am also interested in using them for drawing?

I had looked into something a bit like that a few years ago and I never found what I wanted. The tablet had to be plugged into the computer at the same time (I wanted something portable), it wasn’t compatible with Word, etc. Things have changed quite a bit since then, mind you, so maybe you’ll have more luck.

I thought the iPad would kind of work, but nope! It doesn’t take the finer, hard stylus, so scratch that…

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

dragonmedley
            Participant

I know we have people here who use graphic tablets, so I’m gonna ask you all some questions. I teach English comp, and I was wondering if I can use a tablet to write my comments onto the MS word documents.

Which ones work best as I am also interested in using them for drawing?

I had looked into something a bit like that a few years ago and I never found what I wanted. The tablet had to be plugged into the computer at the same time (I wanted something portable), it wasn’t compatible with Word, etc. Things have changed quite a bit since then, mind you, so maybe you’ll have more luck.

I thought the iPad would kind of work, but nope! It doesn’t take the finer, hard stylus, so scratch that…

Setsunawolf
              Participant

I’m not overly concerned w/ portablity. I’m really interested in the editing I can do w/ one. For some reason my comments in the Word editing feature don’t seem “real” to my students, so I thought if I could “write” all over their digital submissions they might take the feedback more seriously.

Some of the descriptions of the graphic tablets said they could be used that way in MS products for presentations and things, so I was thinking it could also be used to get their attention to help them fix the issues in the papers.

Any thoughts?

Sun Dragon Koi #3

Jennifer
                Keymaster

I do not know if you can use them to write into Word or other textual programs, as they are designed mainly for photo and drawing programs. I’d research that first, before looking further!

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Setsunawolf
                  Participant

I found a YouTube video that showed me how to do it with a Wacom Fun tablet. There is a setting in MS Word that will let me do it. Unfortunately it only works on the PC version of Word, so I can’t get the MacBook I wanted right now. I have to choose what I need for work over what I want for me…..blah. The MacBook would have been an Xmas present from my mom, so now it’ll be a Dell Insperion. I have a very old one that has been a great computer, but is having senility issues.

Sun Dragon Koi #3

dragonmedley
                    Participant

… but is having senility issues.

Bwahahaha! That’s such a great way to say it ๐Ÿ˜€

Falcolf
                      Participant

Well… I know it’s kind of off topic now, but my view on tablets has basically always been that the smallest size is just right (nice and portable, comfy in your lap) whereas the big tablets seem like a waste of money. I tried a friend’s large Wacom Intuos once, using it to finish a comic page (several hours of work) and I thoroughly disliked it, even though it was supposedly better than my old Graphire that I had at the time (still have! It’s a backup and I only got a new one because its software did not agree with my -now old- new computer.) I found no difference in the pressure sensitivity at all and thought the larger size was a pain in the butt because it strained my arm.

Basically, my figuring is that if a person wants to get serious about digital art (I know you just want a tablet for writing and the Bamboo Fun would work great for that, I actually own a Bamboo – they’re cheap, they have good pen pressure and they are super reliable – I seem to drop mine at least five times a day yet it still works perfectly) and you want to spend a lot, you should save the money you would have spent on a larger tablet and get a Wacom Cintiq – working on them is exactly like drawing/writing on a piece of paper, and the smallest size is pretty portable (mind you, they’re about $800, but they are worth every penny – I plan on buying one as soon as I get the chance, I really miss being able to play with them everyday like I could in university.) There’s no lag between your brain and the screen like there is with tablets, so you can work much faster on a cintiq than you can on a tablet. Don’t get me wrong, tablets are as quick as any mouse can be, but cintiqs are faster!

Anyway I’d get the Bamboo, as I don’t think you really need anything more than that for what you say you want! ๐Ÿ˜€ You can’t really go wrong with one! ๐Ÿ™‚ (Also they only cost like $50-100, so they’re a steal. Mine was a $100 but that may be because I’m in Canada, though I did just see a flier listing one for $60 here!)

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Jennifer
                        Keymaster

For what it’s worth, I do art full time professionally, and sometimes put 200+ hours into a digital piece, so I’m very in tune with my tablet. I have had small ones, large ones, and tried Cintiques.

I HATE Cintiques. Hate.
                          I am okay with smaller tablets. I used one for about 6 years.
                          My bigger tablet allows me to draw and ink from the shoulder– instead of from the wrist, which is not only beneficial to your art but also to your physical health if you are doing it 10+ hours a day as I do.

THEREFORE…. each person has their own preference. To me, a larger surface area on a tablet is worth every penny. It might not be to other people.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                          My art: featherdust.com

Setsunawolf
                          Participant

I decided to go with a Wacom Bamboo Create. The comments here about types and makers, combed with the YouTube video I found showing me how to “write” on a MS Word document–with a Banboo Create :)–convinced me this was the way to go. I don’t actually get the tablet until Christmas as my Mom is “giving” it to me as my big gift. I’ll keep you guys posted on how it works. I like to draw w/pencil–mostly black and white stuff, so this will let me doodle via computer as well.

I think the larger size will be more helpful since I will be writing comments on the papers. If this works as well as I hope it does, it will make life infinitely easier for me. I appreciate all the feedback and help.

Thanks guys. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sun Dragon Koi #3

Erika
                            Participant

My bigger tablet allows me to draw and ink from the shoulder– instead of from the wrist, which is not only beneficial to your art but also to your physical health if you are doing it 10+ hours a day as I do.

Exactly the reason I upgraded. Almost gave myself carpal tunnel before having the $300 twisted out of me, but it was definitely for the better. I liked my little one a lot, but it was rather taxing on the wrist.

Kujacker
                              Participant

on my vita, so please excuse my typing. i have a monoprice tablet. it cost 50 for a 10×6. youd be paying 300+ for that size in wacom. and honestly it works just as well as a wacom. the only thing is that the pen doesnt have an eraser… but that doesnt bother me at all. i use to have a wacom graphire 3 (for ten years!) and while i liked it, i now cannot justify spending so much just for a brand name. not to mention wacom STILL hasnt fixed their tablets cord issues… and thats the reason wacoms tend to die (as did mine as well).
                                give monoprice a look and save a ton of money!
                                (i realize i am late, but still wanted to mention this)

Setsunawolf
                                Participant

Thanks!

Sun Dragon Koi #3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.