fbpx

Another ebay transaction problem thread

Home Forums Miscellany Community Another ebay transaction problem thread

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Christine
    Participant

Oh man, after seeing those pics (GREAT pics BTW), I wouldn’t even bother with USPS. They will most likely flat out tell you that it wasn’t packed correctly, and refuse to honor the claim, if you show them those photos.

If it were me, I would take up the claim with ebay. Not only was the dragon not as described, he was clearly not packed correctly in the first place. The photos very strongly prove that.

Lupuslunae
      Participant

Wow, I’ve never dealt much with ebay but WOW that letter was 2% actual information and 98% fluffy BS.

Yeah, I’m really appalled by that letter from ebay. I hate formula/forms used in customer service. It they’d just speak like a real person things would be more likely to go swimmingly.
        I say tell the seller what you want, that you won’t file with USPS since it’s HER/HIS job, and if he/she doesn’t make nice, and keep repeating this mantra until they do it or let the case escalate in 5 days.

Jennifer
        Keymaster

Based on my experience with the USPS, they will probably not honor an insurance claim on that dragon, given how it was packed.

Further, under no stretch of the imagination is that dragon what should be considered ‘mint’.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

Eric
          Participant

I just saw this thread. Have you tried to call Paypal’s customer service ? I had to do it once, and it was a much better experience than dealing with them through emails.

I also want to warn you about them. Never assume they will take the most reasonable decision. My brother filed a claim because somebody sent him half a set of truck lights, while the auction said it was complete. They offered him to refund half the order, but he refused since he would still have to buy a complete set because nobody was selling half sets. In the end Paypal didn’t refund him anything and told him to open a case at a police station !

I am giving you this example so you know that if they insist that you deal with USPS, you better do it, instead of assuming they will protect you from the crook who sold you the dragon.

Good luck !

WolfenMachine
            Participant

Thank you for all the advice everyone-I dont like to cause a fuss over things, but the dragon+shipping was $90 and for a few dollars more, I could have gotten one MINT from Armiks or Windstone.

I once sold a Trail of Painted Ponies horse on ebay and claimed it came with the box. Once I got the box down to ship the horse, I realized I had the wrong box. I packed the horse very well, and it made it safe and sound. The buyer pitched a fit and opened an item not as described case against me because it didn’t have its box…which, from the outside, looks like all the other Trail of Painted ponies boxes. I was afraid I’d loose the $75 the horse sold for because of this if I didn’t handle it myself, and I offered the buyer a $5 refund. But I mean, seriously, if ebay would consider a missing box worth a refund, they SHOULD see this is a legitimate claim. I think I will call them today. *cringes* Ive had bad luck being on hold for HOURS with ebay and not getting anywhere. But Ill try.

Oh, and the black gold male dragon DID have bubble wrap around him-but it was the “small bubble” kind, and there was maybe 3 layers-which, if I had packed it, I certainly would have used about twice that much or more-AND would have used the “big bubble” type, as it offers thicker air pockets and thus, more protection against stuff like this.

WolfenMachine
              Participant

|( I just spent 33 minutes on the phone with ebay, more than half of that time I was on hold. I was told over and over again to wait another 2 days for the case to be taken off hold, and in the mean time, ‘the package was insured, so why dont you try and file a claim with the post office.’
                Um, I can’t file a claim with the post office and hear something back within 2 days! Once again, it was a huge waste of time to call ebay. I was talked to like a child-Ive hated that-even when I was a child.

“Now, Linsey, um, we are going to need to wait two more days”
                I heard that about 5 times during our 15 minute conversation. |( What is buyer protection for if not to step in and help the buyer in cases like this?!

Ebay is basically saying, “Yeah, go ahead and sell something expensive and fragile. Insure the box, and no matter what happens to it, you, as the seller is safe. You wash your hands of responsibilty when you ship the item.”

When Ive been the seller, I was at the mercy of ebay, now that Im the buyer, its like ebay is siding with the seller! GRAH!!

Eric
                Participant

Did you call ebay or Paypal ? My recommendation was to call Paypal, but I cannot guarantee they will give you a better answer.

There was a time when Paypal was always siding with the buyer, my guess is that too many buyers abused the system, so they changed that policy.

Good luck whatever you choose !

WolfenMachine
                  Participant

I’ll try calling Paypal, but I didn’t at first because of this message on the paypal transaction page.

Need help? If you have problems with an eBay transaction or want help settling a dispute with an eBay seller, go to the eBay Resolution Center. PayPal and eBay strongly recommend that you attempt to resolve issues directly with the seller whenever possible.

Eric
                    Participant

Now that you mention this, I remember that when I called Paypal, it was because I had a problem with them and not with an ebay transaction. So it may well be possible that they just tell you to call ebay.

I am sorry if I wasted your time.

WolfenMachine
                      Participant

Oh, no, Gill, YOU didnt waste my time. Ebay did though. They could have told me “Yeah, you need to wait another few days” right off the bat, and taken up less than a minute of my time, instead of wasting half an hour, not helping me, and not telling me anything I didn’t already know.

Eric
                        Participant

Thanks for the reply. I hope you will be able to resolve this problem soon.

Christine
                          Participant

Has the seller left you feedback already?

Have you left feedback for the seller?

If he left positive feedback for you already, but you haven’t left any for him yet, you could mention that if you can’t come to a solution with this seller, that you’ll pretty much have no choice but to leave negative feedback.

That alone is a fairly motivating factor to getting a seller to work with you. Most of the time anyway….No one wants negative feedback. It’s not exactly nice to ‘use’ this to motivate them, but with some sellers I dealt with in the past, I wasn’t left with much choice, and it ended up helping. And it IS why the feedback system exists at all–to hold sellers and buyers accountable for their personal ebay practices.

Gotta be careful to simply _state_ this though, as a fact, and don’t use it as a threat! Very fine line there. The couple times I had to bring up this point with a seller, I worded what I wrote very carefully. :/

WolfenMachine
                            Participant

Thank you for the tip, Chris! The seller had not left me any feedback-and I seldom if ever leave feedback before Ive received an item and am happy with it (the exceptions would be if I was buying from a forum member through ebay, or something like that)

Good news!! Ebay has sided with me and have asked me to send the item back to the seller. Shockingly enough, the even sent me a return label O.O I can use UPS or the post office. I don’t know who’s paying for that-ebay or the seller-but it was sure nice of them!

littleironhorse
                              Participant

That’s great new Wolfen!

scenceable
                                Participant

woohoo, that is awesome news Linsey!

As for the feedback thing, sellers cannot leave buyers negative or neutral feedback. And, ebay has a policy that you aren’t allowed to leave a “false positive” or a positive feedback with negative comments, so if the seller does this you can get ebay to remove it. Soooo, if you want to leave them a negative, go ahead since they can’t retaliate.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.