fbpx

anesthesia advice

Home Forums Miscellany Community anesthesia advice

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

doesnt sound right to me and i was under for 2 days and kept on all kinds of painkillers . I lost i think 3 days all together and after sleep on the third i was awake with no adverse reactions . But hey we are all different like everyone else says call you dentist and then if you dont get the info you want call your doc .

I had a brocnch yesterday and was sleepy all day , but im a light weight . Today i am wide awake no side effects like the dizzy, sleepy , muddled head feelings of yesterday

siberakh1
    Participant

Oh fun. Makes me feel real assured about getting put under for my wisdom teeth next month. Nothing wrong with any of my teeth (no cavities ever even), but the wisdom teeth are oddly angled and placed, and at least one of the top ones is well impacted into my sinuses, so they want all 4 out before they could cause a problem later in life. Won’t have to worry about dry sockets (none are poked through now, so I’ll have stitched up holes when done), but I’m a bit nervous on the anesthesia (never had surgery) and I’m limited to pretty much ibuprofen and darvocet for pain killers (can’t take most of the rest). That and the bottoms run really close to the major nerve in the jaw. The doc is good, but the anesthesia is the part I’m worried about.

I’d definitely get that checked out. That sounds like a sensitivity to at least one of those drugs.

siberakh1 wrote:

Oh fun. Makes me feel real assured about getting put under for my wisdom teeth next month. Nothing wrong with any of my teeth (no cavities ever even), but the wisdom teeth are oddly angled and placed, and at least one of the top ones is well impacted into my sinuses, so they want all 4 out before they could cause a problem later in life. Won’t have to worry about dry sockets (none are poked through now, so I’ll have stitched up holes when done), but I’m a bit nervous on the anesthesia (never had surgery) and I’m limited to pretty much ibuprofen and darvocet for pain killers (can’t take most of the rest). That and the bottoms run really close to the major nerve in the jaw. The doc is good, but the anesthesia is the part I’m worried about.

I’d definitely get that checked out. That sounds like a sensitivity to at least one of those drugs.

Could you get it done with freezing? That’s how I had mine pulled. It’s generally cheaper too, even though if there’s a problem and they have to drill for one, then you feel it. πŸ™„

Stephanie
      Participant

Mine had already come in, so all they had to do for all four of mine was numb me and pull them. I had no problems at all with it.

I hope this works out soon!

Tiffany
        Participant

Necron99 wrote:

doesnt sound right to me and i was under for 2 days and kept on all kinds of painkillers . I lost i think 3 days all together and after sleep on the third i was awake with no adverse reactions . But hey we are all different like everyone else says call you dentist and then if you dont get the info you want call your doc .

I had a brocnch yesterday and was sleepy all day , but im a light weight . Today i am wide awake no side effects like the dizzy, sleepy , muddled head feelings of yesterday

i knew if anyone had a tale tell it would be you necron with your incredible surgery! thats incredible that so shortly thereafter such a big procedure you were back with it again!! i am so soooo glad you got thru all that and it worked out for you to where you can go on and have a great hearty life! what a miracle!! πŸ˜€
          honestly i’m kinda sensitive even to novacaine … within 20 minutes of getting even a tiny bit i turn ice cold with crazy body shakes so much that voice shakes/stutters and i feel super sedated and impaired the rest of the day. noone was worried or curious about that either, lol. i shouldn’t be surprised that i feel this way i guess, but i really just want to feel better/sober and know that things will truly be ok. i have no pain in the teeth just a wee bit of tenderness, but i’m drunk-like and swaying like all heck. i checked my blood pressure and its fine so no problem there. i think what i’ll do is if i don’t feel markedly better in the morning i will call my regular dr and get her opinion as best i can with it then being a sunday. i read *online* that what i have is classic signs of an overdose and the standard way of treating it is just giving an injection of a reversal drug and you are fine lickety split. thats no substitute for a real dr though and speaking with my dentist he said just rest, stick it out and wait. i have had NO improvement all day again so i will try to get a second opinion in my general dr tomorrow i hope. i want to avoid a walk in clinic as i’ve had bad experiences with those around here.
          ill do my best to take care of myself over here, thanks for you concern all! heh, you guys are more concerned than my boyfriend; he STILL isn’t home yet to help take care of me and the apartment. and its almost 10 pm and he’s been gone since morning partying with the guys! my poor dad is so upset i’ve been left alone- he had to go home to upstate ny to tend to the house there and its killing him that he had to go home and now i’m unattended and he’s helpless to do anything from there.lol. that was a long sentence! ha! anyhoo, i’ll keep yall posted- gotta go try to give the dogs dinner!

Pegasi1978
          Participant

*Hugs* Hope things get better soon!

siberakh1
            Participant

Dragon87 wrote:

siberakh1 wrote:

Could you get it done with freezing? That’s how I had mine pulled. It’s generally cheaper too, even though if there’s a problem and they have to drill for one, then you feel it. πŸ™„

I doubt it. None of them have come in, so they have to essentially cut them out. Two are at least a molar’s distance back on my upper jaw, so will never poke through and the others on the bottom would only show by creating a tiny gap at the back of the last molar… just enough that could cause problems years down the road if left. I’m not too worried about the pain (I’ve got a pretty high pain threshold), but I’m a bit nervous about going under. I don’t like that concept one bit. πŸ˜•

darjeb
              Participant

No That is Not Normal – take dragonlairqueen’s advice immediately. I have been put under 4 times and each time was OK within minutes of waking up.

Jodi
                Participant

It is not normal. Go to the doctor asap! Call 911 if you must. An overdose is nothing to mess with. Dentists always blow off the concerns of their patients for things like this (at least in my experience). “Everything’s fine,” they say, as I’m massaging my still numb cheek after three days.

I’ve been put under before and throw up every time. It’s a sensitivity to the anesthesia. You need a shot of antedote. And you need it now. You’ve been poisoned. Treat it as such.

siberakh1 wrote:

Dragon87 wrote:

I doubt it. None of them have come in, so they have to essentially cut them out. Two are at least a molar’s distance back on my upper jaw, so will never poke through and the others on the bottom would only show by creating a tiny gap at the back of the last molar… just enough that could cause problems years down the road if left. I’m not too worried about the pain (I’ve got a pretty high pain threshold), but I’m a bit nervous about going under. I don’t like that concept one bit. πŸ˜•

Mine were never going to grow in, the roots were wrapped around the jaw, they had to cut mine out. Lucky for me the first two took 10 seconds each. Doc thought he was going for an early lunch. Hehehe 😈 the last two he had to cut, then cut some more, then he brought out the drill, then I was in enough pain that I didn’t care anymore what he did. I broke through the stuff covering the arm on the chair. Then I went to work two days later… THAT was a mistake on Tylenol 3’s… πŸ˜† They still froze, though they recommended putting me under. My parents said no.

I am really not helping am I?

twindragonsmum
                  Participant

It almost sounds like you’ve got ‘dry socket’ going on. Sometimes the packing in the spot where the tooth was falls out and the socket is exposed to air, etc. Since wisdom teeth are located in the same-ish area as your ear canal, dry socket can play havoc with your equilibrium. Maybe ask your doctor about that possibility. I’m sorry it’s been so rough for you. Hope you feel better soon. *sending cherry Slurpee’s your way so the cold will help with any residual swelling*

twindragonsmum

tdm

Laurie
                    Participant

I had a dry socket when my wisdom teeth were removed. It didn’t give me any problems with balance just a really swollen face and horrible pain. I know after I had mine removed I was sick as a dog for a few days till I threw up all the blood that had collected in my stomach after surgery. I don’t know if that could be a reason you feel so bad. I would call your doctor if it keeps up or go to the er.

Maebnus
                      Participant

Erm, since it’s damn near impossible to talk to an anesthesiologist without a million referrals and time… I’d also suggest talking to another doctor ASAP. I’d be likely to hit the ER, personally. That’s pretty damn irresponsible for your dentist to think that time alone is what’s best for a [possible] overdose… and quite frankly, he should be more concerned about his patients than that. But anyway… time could be what’s needed, but it isn’t always. I don’t have a clue about anesthetics, so couldn’t even guess anything more than the basics that come with introducing a non-native drug to your body and having to deal with it longer than normal. But the worst that can happen with getting another doctor’s opinion is being told again to wait it out. It’s MUCH better to be safe than sorry. Almost a week of side effects like those is a bad thing, regardless.

Serenity wrote:

But I would get it checked out with a pharmacy tech… they went to school for that… πŸ˜‰

Actually, in the US, Pharm Techs are not legally allowed to council patients whatsoever (some still do, but they’re risking their job & their certification (if they have one)). Even if asked if ibuprofen or acetaminophen is better for something… you can only say as much as the label says & then refer them to the pharmacist. Pharmacists go to school to council (among other things), though they don’t often specialize in anesthesia drugs… techs just go to school to learn some of the drugs and how to fill the scripts. πŸ˜‰ Oh, and to hear every 5 minutes how we’re not allowed to council. πŸ™„ (well, it felt like every 5 minutes anyway….)

Snapdragon wrote:

Still doesn’t sound right, but maybe you are just one of those sensitive girly types. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Sensitive girly type huh? We have the bigger adrenal glands. πŸ˜›

Anyway ….

Like you tfsculptures, I’m very sensetive to the drugs they want to use on me, so unless there was a true need to put me under, I always will choose to not be knocked out.

Emerald212 wrote:

I’ve been put under before and throw up every time. It’s a sensitivity to the anesthesia. You need a shot of antedote. And you need it now. You’ve been poisoned. Treat it as such.

Agreed, anesthesia can be very toxic/poisonous to our systems, do not take this lightly. You stated that you were under on Tuesday, it is now Sunday. Please, if you are not feeling better, go get checked out.

You already know what type they used on you. Are you drinking anything in particular that will help your system clear this out?

Tiffany
                        Participant

i wasn’t really instructed on anything to or not to drink in regards to flushing my system… but i have been drinking arizona green tea, water and one of those dragonfruit (no caffeine) fruit water electrolyte drinks( just a tiny bit of that).
                          today i am a tiny bit less loopy, but juuuuust barely.it is encouraging , but still i know i shouldn’t feel this way almost a week later. i’m going to call my general dr and hopefully get ahold of someone that can help. sigh. πŸ™ i just don’t want to get charged up the kazoo at the ER in fees, especially if they just send me home and tell me to follow the dentists orders to just rest. i know, i know the money/expense should be the least of my worries when it comes to my health. not to sound like a nut but i don’t exactly want to make the dentist mad by stepping on his toes and bypassing his opinion, especially if i get sent back to him for anything in regards to this. πŸ™„ ( but then again most likely i’ll never see him again anyway, cuz i only have one set of wisdom teeth,LOL!) but, better that than whatever damage this could be doing to my system….plus it would be good just to know whats up.
                          i just called my general dr. and they are going to have another partner dr of hers call me back within an hour. we’ll see what this guy says.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.