fbpx

anesthesia advice

Home Forums Miscellany Community anesthesia advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Tiffany
    Participant

hi yall! well, i was putting a little post in here to see if you guys had any advice as i could really use some….i had my wisdom teeth pulled on tuesday and they put me under (more or less all the way) using Versed. the tooth pulling seems to have gone fine i guess, but i was allergic to the antibiotic (itchiness) they gave me and i complained of severe dizziness, blurred vision, emotional wackiness, panicking etc. so they took me off the vicodin as well. well, here we are on saturday and i am STILL really dizzy, discumbobulated, slurred of speech, and it gets worse the longer i am upright until i have a total headspinning and emotional breakdown.
      i have never been given an anesthetic before so i have no idea what is normal and how long u can be loopy. when i called the dentist office they lady ( a gargoyle of a miserable broad) said “oh i’m SURE you are just FINE”… “everything will clear up in a couple days when thats out of your system” and she wouldn’t hear any more of it. that was thursday, now its saturday and i am not any more sober.
      does anyone have any advice or experience with getting put under and how one should feel afterwards? its taking all my might just to type this, but who the heck can i get to help on a saturday, not to mention what can anyone really do for me if this stuff just needs to work its way out of my system? i’m at a total loss and with my totally impaired brain, it makes it very difficult to try to deal with this. laying in bed and not getting up seems to help best, but geez its been days and i need to get back to work on monday. 😯 any input would be super cuz i have no idea what to do. super sincerest thankies, me πŸ™

Tiffany
      Participant

Stephanie
        Participant

Yikes! I’ve never been put under so I can’t offer you any first hand experience, but I’d call another dentist – get a second opinion. Or call your regular doctor. I don’t know if this is normal, but I would definitely want a second opinion.

I hope it all gets better soon!

lamortefille
          Participant

I would try to speak with the dentist personally. I have been put under a few times to have teeth pulled and I have never had a bad reaction, but everybody is different. The pain meds can make you loopy, but if you aren’t taking any….

I hope they figure out what the problem is. *hugs*

What anesthetic did they use??? Most gas types are out of your system in a matter of hours. If they used injection type, that should have made it out of your system by now as well, should being the key word here.

I would call that dentist and find out what drug they used on you, you need to have it listed on your medical charts as one NOT to use on you for future. If your reaction is this bad this time, a second round could be really bad.

I’d also ask what dose they used, some folks don’t need a “normal” dose. I had one friend whom a normal dose for her weight, etc was enough to literally kill her, they discovered this when she was 16 and had her tonsils out, she died on the table and they had to bring her back. They discovered 1/4 of a dose was all she needed to take her down safely.

Her husband on the other hand needed 4 times normal to keep him under, otherwise he’d wake up!

Anyway, find out what they gave you, then see if you can get a hold of an anesthesiologist for more information about reactions, etc. You should be able to get some info from the net too, once you know what they dosed you with.

I’m sorry you are having such a rough time recovering.

Kyrin

Last time I was under anesthesia, it was injection I was fine within 24 hours. You really should speak to your doctor, if he isn’t as concerned as you are, get a second opinion. That’s my advice.

Dragonlairqueen
            Participant

CALL YOUR M.D. NOW! If you are being dismissed by the dentist, you are totally justified. There may be nothing wrong, but if you are concerned, make the call ASAP. I am very sensitive to anesthetics, and it takes me longer to flush them. If you have no experience with your body’s reactions, then you need to go with your gut instinct. If the office is closed, make sure you talk to the physician on call and get some advice. Good luck! :0)

Katherine
              Participant

That doesn’t sound normal at all. I hope you contact your doctor about it. *hugs*

Anonymous

I’ve been under four times and within 4-6 hours I’m normal (and eating, even though they say you’ll puke…. never have, always starving). You need to hit the hospital or a doctor if you’re still getting wonked at this stage.

Tiffany
                  Participant

hey there thank you for your input and concern! i poked online and my symptoms looked like what they refer to as an overdose of the drug, so i did call my dentist. despite his crabby nurses, he has a superb reputation in the area and he himself is a master of anesthetics and extractions. apparently he is “the guy” you go to around here for extractions and i never had another recommendation to go elsewhere from anyone i asked, so we felt pretty confident in going to him. i got patched thru to him pronto and he felt it was because that i was overly sensitive to all the things being used ( antibiotics, painkillers, the versed, etc) that it is taking longer/harder for my body to sober up and clear it out. he told me that while my reaction it isn’t common, (especially reacting to multiple things) it certainly does happens and it just takes extra time n rest and he was very confident in that. πŸ™„ he told me to definitely stay in bed and keep resting as much as possible and just be patient, resting and taking care of myself is the best thing to help it all. sigh.
                    i still may call my regular dr and get her opinion, just cuz im kinda scared i’m so loopy still.. it just doesn’t seem right. thank you guys for your input! i have never been put under before, my parents had to go back home and my boyfriend has been totally uncompassionate and hasn’t even been here to help me, so having to do everything around here has just been adding to the fatigue and anxiety. πŸ™ thank you guys! ( gives drunken, tipsy huggles ^.^ ) time for me to get back in bed!

Anonymous

Still doesn’t sound right, but maybe you are just one of those sensitive girly types. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Last one I had knocked out was for teeth too, they took out four or five, I was out about an hour, got woken up, within 15 minutes I was coherent again. When we got home I immediately hit the chicken noodle soup, was starving! I ate an entire box of packets.

They’re like “don’t eat for at least 12 hours or it will make you sick” blah blah hey, I’m hungry!

I’ve been under, what, 12, 13 times now? Geez. Versed is usually short acting, but some people, myself included, are wonky for a day or two. Vicodin can make you think you’re having an anxiety attack, it depends on the person’s metabolism. I would definatly push the issue with your MD, or even go to the hospital. It’s possible you are having an “off” reaction, but please don’t just ignore it!

Stephanie
                      Participant

I have been under 4 times (I have no idea what they used) but I came out fine each time. And within hours Not days. Well, besides for when I had my gallbladder removed but that was the pain meds they had me on….weeeeeeeeeee!

But I would get it checked out with a pharmacy tech… they went to school for that… πŸ˜‰

laphon1
                        Participant

I’d call my regular doctor. If the office is closed or there is no on call doctor I’d go to the ER. A bad drug reaction or overdose is nothing to take lightly. This has been going on too long. Keep us posted.

Snapdragon wrote:

Still doesn’t sound right, but maybe you are just one of those sensitive girly types. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Last one I had knocked out was for teeth too, they took out four or five, I was out about an hour, got woken up, within 15 minutes I was coherent again. When we got home I immediately hit the chicken noodle soup, was starving! I ate an entire box of packets.

They’re like “don’t eat for at least 12 hours or it will make you sick” blah blah hey, I’m hungry!

They told me that too when they reattached my tendon…. I ate a … sandwich or a burger of some kind as soon as I got out and it was good and I didn’t get sick. I think they tell you that because *some* people get sick.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.