fbpx

An Inconvenient Truth….

Home Forums Miscellany Community An Inconvenient Truth….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

….is one of those movies I always meant to see. So I finally got around to watching it (yes, the Oscar win reminded me I had never watched it) and I highly recommend it to everyone. I knew a lot of the material but quite a bit was new to me and I had never seen some of it put together quite that way. One of the big points Al Gore makes is that in the scientific community there is NO doubt about the reality of global warning. It is only in the popular press that such doubt is perpetuated. Probably because the US contributes 30% or more of the emissions world wide but we are the most developed country who is the furthest behind in regulating such emissions. We are one of only 2 developed countries (Australia is the other) who has not signed the Kyota Accord (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Protocol). I realize this might be a political hot button but I think it is important for everyone to see the movie.

I’ve never seen it. Maybe I’ll take the time too see it soon.

Jodi
    Participant

I’ve seen it. It’s great. I give my students extra credit if they watch it and write a paper on how Al Gore forms his argument – the techniques he uses. That way it pertains to the class, but they get good information about global warming too.

emerald212 wrote:

I’ve seen it. It’s great. I give my students extra credit if they watch it and write a paper on how Al Gore forms his argument – the techniques he uses. That way it pertains to the class, but they get good information about global warming too.

That’s a great idea.

I did have one question though. He shows a picture of Earth from space and says something about it being the most published picture in the world. I thought I read somewhere that the picture of the marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima was the most published photo in history. I read the book Flags of our Fathers which is probably where I read that. The book is great, by the way, haven’t seen the movie. Does anyone know the answer?

Lokie
      Participant

Just want to chime in my own recommendation for this movie. It will not be a waste of your time.

Jodi
        Participant

ddvm wrote:

emerald212 wrote:

That’s a great idea.

I did have one question though. He shows a picture of Earth from space and says something about it being the most published picture in the world. I thought I read somewhere that the picture of the marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima was the most published photo in history. I read the book Flags of our Fathers which is probably where I read that. The book is great, by the way, haven’t seen the movie. Does anyone know the answer?

I don’t know for sure, but I would guess that the marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima is the most published photo in America. The world one would interest a bigger audience, so that’s why it’s the most published in the world. I don’t know for sure though, that’s only my guess.

That movie is on my “to see” list. It sounds really interesting from everything that I’ve heard.

Skigod377
          Participant

I will watch it for sure. Global warming is a serious issue and it involves EVERYONE since everyone can do something (no matter how small) to help stop global warming.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.