fbpx

Am I Going Nuts?

Home Forums Miscellany Community Am I Going Nuts?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    LadyFirebird
    Participant

This last Tuesday, my neighbor’s dog was hit and killed by a van in front of their house. She called me all frantic and when I got out there, her husband was standing over the dog’s body–she was dead. Looks like it happened instantly which is mercy. It was a very upsetting thing for the both of them.

Fortunately, the guy who hit the dog stopped and took home another man who was walking his dogs at the time. This other man came back and picked up the dog, put her in his pickup and took my neighbor’s husband and his daughter to the vet so they could make disposal arrangements.

Meanwhile, it is just me and my neighbor. I started to hose the street down–couldn’t see an 86-year-old man come back and clean this mess from his own dog. Couldn’t expect my neighbor, who had heart valve replacement surgery earlier this year to do it so I did. I didn’t like it–I liked the dog myself.

The problem–ever since this episode I get a feeling of dread towards the evening as it gets dark. The dog was killed a little before 5 in the afternoon. For some reason, I feel anxious and freaked out when night comes. If I have to drive, I’m nervous until I get home. When I get on our street, I expect to see the dog in the street or coming out. I’m thinking I’m losing my mind–what’s there to be scared of? I can’t get the picture of the dog lying in the street out of my mind.

I know it sounds crazy but I’ve been freaked out by this since it happened. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Stephanie
      Participant

*hugs!* I don’t think you’re crazy at all. When something traumatic like that happens, it lingers with you.

Here’s my example: A few months ago, my neighbor’s house burned down. My husband woke me up at 6 in the morning and said, “Something’s wrong.” I opened the front door and looked to my right, and saw their entire house engulfed in flames.

They weren’t home at the time, and neither were their pets, so no one was injured, but the house completely burnt to the ground. However, ever since then, when I open my front door and look to the right to where their house used to be, I get a little jolt of anxiety. And now, when I’m out when it’s dark, every flash of light through the trees – especially orange light – gets my heart racing.

It takes time. The anxiety will fade. The best thing to do is not to let yourself dwell on it or focus on it. Think about other things. It’s just your mind’s natural reaction to such a traumatic situation. We’re waiting for it to happen again, I think.

*hugs!*

Mike
        Participant

In no way are you nuts, it happens to me a lot unfortunately in fact I had a dog some 30 yrs ago that her only time she did not come to my call was when a car had clipped her, she took off running with a limb, I was scared to death for her well being I chased after but she was to fast, she circled the block and returned. Lucky for us she was just sore. But as I am an avid animal lover and this was my very own dog, I still get worried when I see a loose animal on a sidewalk, and really worry if it is crossing a street. Now it does fade and you should get over so much concern as it was not your dog, but considering we learn from mistakes, think of it as this was a mistake and you have now learned about dogs in the street. The brain stores it away for you to learn by. It will fade some like everything we learn until something triggers it. I would think you were more nuts if you had no feeling or concern at all.
          You are normal and a good person as well. If you wish to talk just write and let me know.

drag0nfeathers
          Participant

YES and YES! Nearly this same thing has happened to me and ever once in a while I think about it just for no reason at all… you’ll probably never get over it fully. If you don’t want to know what happened, don’t read on…

Shaun and I heard a loud bang and a yelp last summer just as the sun was setting. Probably around 7pm? There was a Black Lab with a pink collar lying in the road still alive, no blood, but the dog was just wrenching it’s head left and right in a daze… A car was pulled over and a young girl was upset looking at the dog with her boyfriend. She was driving apparently and wasn’t paying attention and the dog had just jumped out in front of her. It was a really young lab, maybe like 6-8 months old, still a pup probably running around and not supposed to be out in the first place. I ran to a few neigboring houses and tried to quickly find the owner and the couple started getting really scared what would happen IF I found the owner so they took off apologizing over and over. I sat and stayed with the dog and Shaun had taken over going door to door asking if someone had a black lab with a pink collar get out. The whole thing took like 4 or 5 minutes, I was thining of just loading the dog in my car and trying to take him to the vet myself… but you could tell the dog didn’t have long. Her eyes just were fixed on nothing and the pupils were dialated fully. Within just a few moments the pressue in her head must have goten too great to handle and she just went. I don’t think she was in pain, but the whole image still haunts me.

The worst part is after we called animal control to come and pick up the body, Shaun and I went door to door around the neighborhood still trying to find the owner. (if my dog just never came home, I would want to know what happened) We finally DID find the owner. When we told him what happened, he just shrugged his shoulders and said. “good, one less thing to worry about” and shut the door on us. That in and of itself was probably the most fustraiting part. Shaun and I were more upset about it then anyone else and we have never even seen the dog before. It was a true disgusting shame and I’ll NEVER forget it no matter how much I try.

Got a busted Windstone?
            drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
            *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
            Arc-en-ciel Emperor
            Siphlophis Male Dragon
            Calypso Hatching Empress
            Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
            Tattoo Mother Kirin
            Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
            Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
            Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
            Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
            Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
            Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Kathleen
            Participant

((hugs)) I know how you feel. ๐Ÿ™
              I was going to my friends house in the morning only to arrive to police blocking her front drive off (we live in the country only a couple miles apart) They would not tell me anything but later I found out her and her neighbour were beaten and killed by two 14 year old boys. Every time I drive past her place i see those cop cars there. Also every night when I go to feed my livestock out back I lock my front gates carry my cell phone and always keep an eye out for people coming onto my property. I never let my gaurd down not even for innocent looking children ๐Ÿ™
              I hate living like that but these things stick and even almost two years later I cannot forget. ๐Ÿ™
              Sending hugs ((hugs))

Kujacker
              Participant

When I was young, maybe around 3rd grade, I saw one of my cats hit right before my eyes. Shadow Two had a habit of doing summer-salts (no, really. Head first just like people)… unfortunately in the road as well. A truck that belonged to someone just down the street (the bulldog hood statue was proof enough, if the baby blue color wasn’t) just ran right over him. Didn’t even brake, and just kept going. I was probably a whole 10 feet away from the cat.
                They claimed they didn’t do it. People are disgusting.

I can’t recall if I was afraid of the time of day afterward… it was during the day after all. But I remember whenever I looked at the street I’d see his body. A horrible memory.
                Needless to say we only had two outdoor cats after that. One we had before Shadow Two and was already outdoor, and one after. My dad put fear into their hearts if they ever stepped foot into the street.
                But since those two, we haven’t had an outdoor cat.

Purplecat
                Participant

15 years ago I was riding in a van with my mother when she ran over an orange and white cat crossing the street. It did not bother her, she didnt care overmuch about animals, but I was stunned and horrified….to this day any time my husband and I visit my hometown and drive down that street, I get a flashback of that poor cat and the noise of it under the passenger side wheel. I also get faintly sick on that road.

LadyFirebird
                  Participant

Thanks for your support everyone! Thinking about this it was like I had some post traumatic stress thing going on and it caught me off guard! I did what I needed to do that day but for some reason it affected me in ways I can’t really explain. When I would look outside I expected to see the dog walking around with blood dripping from her mouth. Not a pretty sight or thought. Why that came into my mind, I don’t know. I didn’t actually see the dog get hit but I saw the after math and cleaned up. I just keep seeing her lay there and the vision of when the guy put her in his pickup truck. I didn’t expect anything to affect me but it did and I started feeling all anxious and freaky. There really was no reason for it but that’s how I felt. Surprised me that I felt like this. I’m doing a little better but I’ll know for sure when I have to drive at night this Wednesday. This was not a pleasant experience. I guess I was more upset by this than I thought.

Jennifer
                    Keymaster

When we had a terrible brush/yard fire that severely injured my brother in law and could have burnt our house down, I had a huge panic attack at the smell of smoke (like woodsmoke) for several years afterward; and I am someone that usually ADORES the smell of a campfire! It would make me feel ill and I’d have a lot of anxiety.

You are not nuts! And it will fade in time.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                      My art: featherdust.com

Christine
                      Participant

I’ve experienced similar reactions to some heavy moments in my life too. Hugs <3

I'm no doctor but what I find helpful, when disturbing images/emotions come up, let those negative feelings be a reminder to think of something positive. Be aware of your thoughts, and if you notice yourself start to dwell on the sadness of this event, focus on shifting your thoughts to how much you love your own pets or loved ones, or anything that makes you happy and reminds you of positive feelings.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.