fbpx

Airbrushing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Illith
    Participant

Illith
      Participant

I’m starting to get interested in airbrushing, since I seem to be doing a lot of PYO lately (but mostly because I’m slowly loosing my youthful steady-handedness). Are they a very expensive investment? I already have an air compressor, so can I get away with just buying a nozzle? (is that even what they’re called?) Do they use more or less paint than paint brushing? Would I have to get different attachments to make the stream larger or smaller? And so on and so forth …

kitsunelady
        Participant

I started out with a really cheap airbrush just to be sure I’d like using them (a Paasche)…even though it was a cheap one, as long as I kept it clean, it worked pretty well. I’ve since upgraded to Iwata, which, depending on which line/model you go with, is more expensive, but is a higher quality airbrush. Here are a couple of great videos; although they’re describing the Iwata lines in the first, he also tells you quite a bit about airbrushes in general. The second is a video about what you’ll need supplies-wise to get started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPYjGse9Z2M

bayoudragon
          Participant

Iwata has a nice start up package with airbrush, compressor, and goodies. Good stuff, but in the $300 – $400 dollar range. The cheapest I have found it was at Jerry’s Artarama. One day I will have one… *sigh*

Iwata-Medea Kit

Apari
            Participant

I looked on CraigsList and found a Snap-On airbrush kit for $80… I Googled it to see if it was a good deal.. And MAN was it, new they are around $280.
              It came with everything I needed, but it didn’t have a compressor. (I already had one, so I didn’t need it)
              The only thing I’m concerned about me having a Snap-On, is if I have to replace any parts.. I’m sure they are rare and pricey.

I would say that they use less paint over brushing, I’m not sure about that because I’ve only airbrushed… But a 2oz bottle of paint lasts me forever!
              The nozzle sprays as little or as much as you need by YOU pulling pack on the trigger. The spray pattern also gets bigger or smaller by how far you are away from the object, it’s very tricky at first but you will get use to it.
              I wouldn’t be painting PYO’s if I had to use a brush.. Anything and everything I touch with a brush, it seems like I spend double the time trying to fix my mistakes. 😈

Kujacker
              Participant

sagiaparri wrote:

I looked on CraigsList and found a Snap-On airbrush kit for $80… I Googled it to see if it was a good deal.. And MAN was it, new they are around $280.
                It came with everything I needed, but it didn’t have a compressor. (I already had one, so I didn’t need it)
                The only thing I’m concerned about me having a Snap-On, is if I have to replace any parts.. I’m sure they are rare and pricey.

Snap-on is a company that makes tools for mechanics and such. They aren’t rare. You can order parts and such from their website, or perhaps stores that carry snap-on tools would have some airbrush parts.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.