fbpx

A Weighty Problem

Home Forums Miscellany Community A Weighty Problem

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    LadyFirebird
    Participant

Thanks again everyone for your advice and support! The one thing I think I should mention is that I do suffer and battle depression. It is very hard for me to get motivated about most things–pretty much been that way since my husband passed. I understand when people say they battle depression–that multi armed demon that just wraps you up and doesn’t want to let you go. It’s miserable that in your mind you’re not happy with how you are and want to do something just to not have the motivation. I’ve had other people tell me this–don’t want to do a damn thing!

So I was thinking I would ‘force’ myself to do something–well it’ll cost me and I have better uses for that money. I was reminded that I would probably find lots of things I could do when I go back to school in a couple of weeks. I could add a PE class and they have them in fitness walking, weight training, yoga so there is a variety of things I could do here and it would only cost me $26 for the semester! Then I could walk around the campus–it’s not all level and get a good workout in between some classes. I’m just trying to break this awful cycle of being down and gaining the weight because I’m inactive!

Everyone’s opinion/advice was valued and I appreciate it. Sometimes when I’m really down I don’t like to talk about it and just keep silent. But sometimes you just need to let it out.

Purplecat
      Participant

perhaps a dog would be a good thing for you too….they can be good company, and supportive in encouraging you to walk. Sometimes pets can help with depression. But, pets arent always the best solution for everyone, as they are a long term commitment, so it was just a thought.

Bodine
        Participant

Hey,that’s what friends are for 😉
          A lot of people battle depression and I think we all understand.Try to be strong,pick your chin up and one foot at a time.Any excersise is positive and you might be surprised at how it helps clear your mind of dark clouds :yes:

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
          (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
          Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

etruscan
          Participant

I am “puppy-sitting” my son’s two dogs while he and his family are out of the country. I have had the dogs for six months now and I can testify that dog walking does help with weight (some) and attitude (a lot). I don’t know if the improved attitude is due to getting more sunshine or to seeing people outside the house, but something has made a difference. If you don’t want to own a dog, does a neighbor have a dog that needs to be walked during the day?

Enjoy your upcoming classes! You may find that mental exercise breaks the inertia cycle just as effectively as physical exercise does. 🙂

Elena
            Participant

LadyFirebird wrote:

Well I checked out Curves today just to see how it is–I’m going to pass on this. It seems rather pricey for what you get. First off their sign up fee is $99–you get the first month free and then you pay $39 a month thereafter–so it’ll cost me $60 the first month. Then if I wanted to do the Curves Smart thingie, which is a device you can plug into their machines to gauge how you’re doing, my sister told me that was another $50 sign up fee and it adds another $5 to your monthly fee. So $44 a month to do this and the workout is simple enough–you go around in a circle on various machines and spend about 30 seconds on each machine.

Now I love my sister, she has been doing this for 5 years and rides an exercise bike at home for 15 minutes–she’s no smaller than I am!!!! I was advised by a friend here that since I’m going to school later on this month check out what the college has. Duh—colleges have a track field–I could walk around this thing a few times for crying out loud! I might be able to add a PE class!

Oh well, the gym idea was okay–I just wanted something that would keep me motivated–spending money each month will force me to do that–but it looks like I won’t be able to afford to do that! Crap, I could put that $44 elsewhere! So it got me both mad and determined that I need to do this on my own. Then there’s the food–it’s really about the food–I do love my sweets and they certainly love me back by clinging to my stomach and thighs and anywhere else on my body that looks lonely!!! 😆

I have the depression problem too, I understand how hard it can be to get motivated.
              When you go back to school check out the Physical education area, when I was in college we were allowed unlimited access to the facilities, all we had to do was go down and sign up for the card.

Anonymous

Hi LadyFirebird,

My best wishes to you in your quest for losing weight – I browsed thru the replies and everyone does have to find the one thing that works for them. I would like to contribute that I think women tend to put on some extra pounds as we head into the crone cycle of life, after exhausing our maiden form – haha Mother Natures little poke on us! It’s hard to take that off but I have found a dietary aid such as acai berry ‘cleanse & flush’ helps tremendously (flushes out your system of wastes that may just fester inside because of our slower metabolism!) in addition to getting out the bicycle and riding for 30 minutes or less a day. I also got a cheap smoothie maker I found at Maceys and now try and drink one smoothie a day after dinner instead of munching on my typical chips or chocolates. I’m a huge sweets fan, and haven’t cut that out of my diet. Anyway, just find one or two things to change about your normal routine and you will be on the road to losing weight. The hard thing is changing something – but pick easy things – I mean who doesn’t want a smoothie!!! I drink a mix of strawberries, blueberries, peaches and bananas. All fresh fruits that I didn’t use to keep in the house at all times. Add some ice, and a little orange juice and YUM! 🙂 Good luck to you, you deserve it!!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.