fbpx

A tough decision…

Home Forums Miscellany Community A tough decision…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Zelda
    Participant

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Zelda
      Participant

Hi everyone! I was hoping I could get some opinions concerning a tough choice I have to make. I’ve been planning to attend a professional conference in a neighboring state early next month. I haven’t registered or reserved a hotel room yet, but it was something I was about to get organized and do.

However, just today I received a word that I’ve been made a finalist in a local contest. The contest is a public random drawing, with a handful of pretty sizable cash prizes mixed in with other prizes. The issue is that the contest is to take place during the conference! Attending the conference will be a great learning opportunity, however it will cost me money to travel, register, and stay out of town. I’ll also be missing out on earning money while I could be at work. If I stayed for the contest I could win big, or get a lousy gift certificate to a business I don’t use, but at least I would save money by not traveling. I have to be present to participate and can’t send someone in my place. I’ve never been in a contest like this before so I’m not sure what to do, haha! Anybody have any advice? Thanks!

Forever seeking: Blackwatch the raffle Old Warrior, Jennifer Miller's pieces, and GB Baby unis!

Rusti
        Participant

That’s not a tough decision to me, at least. I’d go to the conference, especially if it’s a continuing education or learning type conference that you will need/could use to your benefit. I’d spend money on the chance to learn something before I’d stay home on the dismal chance I *might* win something.

Participant

My $1.05 worth…

If the conference will help with promotions at work, then go to the conference. However, if it’s only to enhance you job knowledge, but won’t be considered directly in raises/promotions then just plan to go next year and get some free prize(s) from the raffle. Also, if money is tight, then that might be the deciding factor anyway.

Good luck!

Skigod377
            Participant

I think I would do the raffle not only because you seem to be leaning that way anyway, but the money you wont have to spend will be nice. Will the conference be available another time? The drawing will probably not.

Setsunawolf
              Participant

Unless the conference thing will help you advance, I’d do the drawing. However if the conference = more money at work that is the better choice. 🙂

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                Sun Dragon Koi #3

Zelda
                Participant

Thanks for the advice guys, you all make good points. I read a bit further into the contest rules and found out that my chance of winning any money is pathetically small. But I would still technically save money by not spending it on traveling. A chat with my boss next week may help me establish my options a little better!

purpledragonclaw
                  Participant

If the conference can help you professionally, that would be my vote.

darjeb
                    Participant

If the conference will help you professionally go for it just remember when making your decision the contest is iffy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.