fbpx

A Question of Immigration

Home Forums Miscellany Community A Question of Immigration

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    LadyFirebird
    Participant

LadyFirebird
      Participant

Just a question that some may or may not know the answer to…..if a person is Canadian and they wanted to marry someone in the United States–is it a long drawn out process? I’m not too savvy on immigration stuff but I thought if someone from another country wanted to marry someone here, they would have residential status but not citizenship.

I visited a neighbor the other day and her daughter has an ‘internet buddy’ she corresponds with and this person, a woman, lives in Canada. Well at the time her daughter met her, she was married. Well earlier this year this woman met someone else on another website. She claims to be ‘in love’ and with the help of her current husband, has come down to visit the man. She then starts divorce proceedings on her current husband so she can marry this other guy supposedly some time this year. Well, this didn’t happen and she is back in Canada and what she is saying is that because she is Canadian, the process of her finally being with ‘the man she loves’ is a drawn out and stressful process and doesn’t know when they can plan their wedding date. She also tells her how lonely she feels and things are rough for her.

Personally, I’m a little suspicious of all this–there is a story attached to this woman that is unreal and would take up more space than we have here. My neighbor has concern for her daughter. She doesn’t know if this woman is giving her a story or what. She had wanted to come and visit her daughter but mom was totally against it–didn’t know her etc. [Daughter lives on her own and owns her own home and the woman knows this.] She feels this woman might be a con of some sort. My neighbor’s personal feeling–the man found out how whacked she is and called the whole thing off and booted her out of his life. She thinks she is trying to use her daughter as a means to have a place to stay in the States. So this is the story behind the question. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

dragonmedley
        Participant

I think you can get married anywhere you want; it’s living there that can be a problem. I’m in Canada; here, you can stay in Canada for 6 months at a time, but you can’t work unless you get a permit. You can apply to become a landed immigrant, and after a few years (3 when we moved to Canada), then you can apply for citizenship. I have no idea how it works in the States and if the rules change with every State, but the actual wedding being postponed sounds suspicious.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
          I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
          http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Morrigan
          Participant

I know someone who used to live in the UK and who married someone in the US. All I recall is that he had to get a marriage license or equivalent in the US. He now lives in the US with his wife and it didn’t sound like he had any major problems along the way. Except he had to apply for an extension of his Visa before the marriage I think so that he had more time to stay before they got married.

NirvanaCat13
            Participant

http://foreignborn.com/visas_imm/immigrant_visas/marriage/1marriage.htm

http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/

Ya there’s info out there just google “immigration and marriage” You’ll get a whole slew of sites, and it looks like some of them deal with “marriage to avoid immigration laws” as well. Good luck with your friend. The whole thing sounds really shady to me.

LadyFirebird
              Participant

Thanks, Nirvanacat! That was my first feeling–something not right but not too savvy on immigration stuff I wasn’t sure. That’s why I threw it out on the forum–I’m sure there are people here who know or who have been through this themselves. Checking out the sites and just reading a bit of it I get the impression that whoever is in the States starts the process to get the financee or spouse over. Well I’m going to guess that isn’t happening in this case. My gut instinct was that the guy in the States didn’t want this person in his life after he got to know her. The ‘process’ doesn’t sound that hard but you have to file and get all the documentation that is needed ready. She for some reason, is living this fantasy/scam of how they’re going to get married soon but the process is keeping them apart. I want to be able to talk to this neighbor so she can pass info onto her daughter, who is very naive and trusting, so that she too will not have anything to do with this person.

So if you know something or experienced this yourself, please feel free to post your experience and knowledge of how things like this happen. I want all the ammo I can get. This broad sounds like a fluke and she may be trying to take advantage of my neighbor’s kind hearted daugher to her own end. Damn people like this! 😡

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.