fbpx

A Fake???

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Elena
    Participant

Elena
      Participant

Hey guys, I found this while I was surfing and on first glance the one on the left looked alot like a hatching dragon. This is something th seller cast cast from a mold she bought. On second glance, I’m not so sure so I thought I’d get the *experts* opinions. I though it might be better to be on the safe side.

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200093264289

SPark
        Participant

I dunno… the poses are quite similar, but the dragons themselves don’t even vaguely resemble Windstones. These aren’t direct copies. They might have been made by somebody who’d once seen a Windstone and remembered the pose, or something, but they’re different enough that I don’t think they’re a problem, myself.

Megan
          Participant

Hmm… I’ve seen a lot of candles made from the mold of the chubbier dragon. They’re sold all the time at Wicks n’ Sticks.

The one on the left is the one I imagine you are refering to. It is an old ceramic mold, in fact I have it. I believe the original casting of the mold from this company was early 80’s.

I’d have to dig out my ceramic molds and find it to be sure, but I do know that while there is a resemblance, it wasn’t an attempt to copy Windstone as far as I know.

Kyrin

Elena
            Participant

Thanks everyone,

I’m looking at it agin and it doesn’t really look like a windstone. I must be getting old and my eyes are going… 🙄

Jennifer
              Keymaster

It’s okay! Better safe than sorry. 🙂 But I tend to agree, the ideas are similar but the execution is different. I don’t think they’re rip offs.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

Yeah, I’ve seen that mold too, plus a number of others in the same dragon style. Whoever the artist is has a whole line of those dragons for ceramic painting, and none of them look much like Windstones (no similar styles or poses). The big bulbous eyes, scale texture and stout features are quite different in person.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.