A brood of Buggers

Home Forums Miscellany General Art Discussion A brood of Buggers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Participant

I made this guy a few years ago. He is supposed to be a scale-less, or velvet, dragon hatchling. Since I have now developed an interest (OK obsession) with Windstones I am tempted to scale this little fellow up a bit. Not with Windstone like scales but with smaller anole type scales. I made a mold of it and have several copies to play around with so I think I’ll see what he can evolve into.

He is a little smaller than a chicken egg and fits neatly into the palm of your hand so the pics are larger than “life”. This is him unpainted. I have yet to master the airbrush enough to tackle coloring him yet.

Photobucket

Robin
      Participant

well that picture came out smaller than i thought. Let’s try these. Different angles to show the curl and tuck to the itty bitty wings. Amazingly, if this guy were real and those wings were stretched to their full span they would be nearly eight inches long.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had to fully sculpt the under wing just so I could be sure I had the lay of the upper wing correct.

briteblades
        Participant

I love it! The wings looks so realistic, really does look like he just hatched, and is exhausted!

Adaneth
          Participant

Beautiful work! 🙂 Thanks for sharing.

Carolyn
            Participant

Reminds me of a Pern Dragon .

Misty
              Participant

Very cute >.<

Robin
                Participant

SSShhhhhhh!!! I don’t know what you are talking about. 8)

In all seriousness, this was my interpretation of a hatchling firelizard. Since they are supposed to be able to fly right after birth, er.. hatch, the wings had to be fully formed.

Robin
                  Participant

Here are a couple of in progress photos. I have about 1/3 of him scaled now. Those tiny scales are a bugger! So far I have re-sculpted the head to make it more reptilian instead of horseish. I am planning on legnthening the tail and adding a fan to the end. The cheek will be added to, to bulk it up a bit and maybe a couple of small spikes added. I will add in the wing tip claws that were lost in the molding process. Also he will have glass eyes, er.. eye added.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Remember, he is just over 2 inches at the longest point. The itty bitty scales are a bear to cut in. I have decided to name this little guy Bugger!

Stephanie
                    Participant

So cute!

Kelly
                      Participant

Looks great so far. He is a cute little bugger. 🙂

Adaneth
                        Participant

Great work on those scales!

bayoudragon
                          Participant

awwww…. that is too cute! :bigsmile:

PurpleTurtle
                            Participant

Oh my goodness! He’s so sweet. Great work by the way. Very realistic.

Robin
                              Participant

Update progress pics of Bugger. He has a new tail, I’m still not sure if I like it but it is growing on me. New eye, thanks Tohickon! New cheek area and a bunch more scaling. Remember, he is about the size of an old fashioned silver-dollar so those scales are itty-bitty and a bugger to cut in.

I still have a ton of work to do. Scale the tail, detail the new cheek area and eye orbit, scale the wing bones and a general detail and clean up. I also need to fix his wing “finger” claws. Still, I think he is coming along nicely. If you see anything out of place feel free to chime in. I’m a big girl I can take it.

I am eagerly looking forward to molding this little guy so I can have a bunch of copies to paint all sorts of colors.

Also, he isn’t really green. That came from the light I was using to help show up his scales.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

etruscan
                                Participant

He is coming along very nicely!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.