fbpx

A blog of my day

Home Forums Miscellany Community A blog of my day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Anonymous

I always joke that one of these days I’m actually going to track what I do in a day. It might make the “hard decisions” thread make more sense too.

I’ll use a week ago as an example.

Wake up around 4:45 pm after sleeping for about 4 hours.

Wash up, get dressed and head over to AP Gaming (our internet cafe) to run shift.

While on shift, install new games that have arrived into our master computer, resolve complaints about malfunctioning profiles, fix a machine with a dead hard drive, serve customers, fill in as a 6th player in company of heroes, then when it’s quiet do more tax paperwork for Wild Rose.

Close up at 2 AM, clean floor, garbage, coffee machines, etc. Leave around 2:30.

Come home, throw something in the microwave, crawl into bed with laptop. Browse help tickets, forums, etc. for about 1 hour or until food is gone and starts to make me fall asleep

Fall asleep around 3:30

Wake up at 4:50 when Blackberry insists main web server is not responding.

Wake up my other business partner and find out if router is problematic or server is offline. Server is offline.

Jump in -20* car and coax it to life, speed 90 MPH to data center on ice covered freeway 😈

Find dead memory in web server. Rush back home for replacement parts. Go back, replace. Get server back online.

6 AM, go back home, find more food. Decide to stay up since I have contract work today. Browse more help tickets, attend to customer billing, eat, etc.

8 AM, go to client site, and continue on rewiring project where customer premesis was damaged by leaking roof, and all telephone and network equipment was water damaged. Punch down another 200 or so of the ~900 wires.

About 3:30 PM, get hungry again, pop out for a bite. I am making Wendy’s rich.

Leave client site, and drive to Rexall place, home of the Oilers πŸ˜€ Meet up with my girlfriend’s father, who is a broadcast maintenance ‘geer. He gets to play with the pre-production mobile truck that takes all the cameras and sound and mixes it up to put on the air.

Examine Nortel CICS telephone system which has a complaint of a 5th loop not disconnecting. Trace lines through truck using harris toner, reprogram the system to jump loop 5 and use 6 through 7 instead. Fix station phone that won’t hang up, check disconnect supervisions.

Game starts at 6PM and I need to get out of the way, no problem, phones are all working good. Director happy to have working phones in the truck πŸ˜€

Go back to AP Gaming for 6PM to 2AM shift. Rinse, lather, repeat. Get home around 2:30, sleep for maybe 6 hours.

Get up, eat, and go out to another client’s site and reprogram their DSC alarm system, since their installer doesn’t know beans about it. “The trouble light? Don’t worry about it” he says. sigh. Show client some shortcuts they can use in Quickbooks, and the best way to backup their server. Run a new phone to the upstairs lunchroom.

Come home, and do some programming work on my new PHP payment acceptance gateway.

Nod off in my chair for about 2 hours, then head off for 5 to 12 shift at AP gaming…

rinse, lather, repeat….

I am on a very odd day off at this point.. which is why I’m posting dayside… now you see why I need to quick the gaming store junk, and do dayside work.. this is no life for me.. but when you are short on cash, and have skills in computer hardware, networking and routing, telecomms including nortel MICS, CICS and the old DR5, Ademco and DSC security installer, residential and commerical wiring practices, and let’s not even talk about my robotics and car mechanics that I have zero time to play with …

Did I put anyone to sleep? πŸ˜†

Holy molely. I would be dead after the first day if I had to do all of that.

NirvanaCat13
        Participant

Nice

dragonmedley
          Participant

I’m tired just reading about it! Man, you got to take a break, otherwise, you’re gonna burn out.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

NirvanaCat13
            Participant

Dragonessjade sent me some cool stuff, this one is for you Snap!
              http://www.mrcomputerservices.com/downloads/pc_design.jpg

Nortel has released a service bulletion for MICS, CICS, and BCM warning of excess ring voltage locking up a trunk and in some cases in CICS damaging the circut on the trunk card.
              Nortel has a recomended repair consiting of a Nortel built anphenol cable equipt with resisters.
              Also to adjust the CO line package per trunk.

Incidently I also know how to get rid of the trouble light, or used to anyhow, I usually installed the Simon 3, but did a few DSC and alegro as well, and will be doing the DSC Comuique system in mu home soon enough.

**from Tina, probably the only person on here, or most other places, who knew what the hell you were talking about, πŸ˜€

Anonymous

ruffian wrote:

Nortel has released a service bulletion for MICS, CICS, and BCM warning of excess ring voltage locking up a trunk and in some cases in CICS damaging the circut on the trunk card.

Well that’s the CO’s fault now isn’t it? If the ring voltage is >120VAC then there’s some hydro company issue going on too, or a bad inverter on a battery pack in one of the CO’s or side road pedestals.

Quote:

Nortel has a recomended repair consiting of a Nortel built anphenol cable equipt with resisters.
                Also to adjust the CO line package per trunk.

Pfffbt, forget that. πŸ˜€ Card don’t work, new card with upgrades on it already.

Nortel should stick to not trying to fail as a business model and leave us techs alone. Reverse stock splitting? Come ON.

Quote:

Incidently I also know how to get rid of the trouble light, or used to anyhow

All you have to do is *1 and read the LED to see which one is the problem. In this case it was #8, because the backup battery died and no one set the time on the board after the new one was installed.

Quote:

I usually installed the Simon 3

“BEDROOM… MASTER BEDROOM … LIVINGROOM…” oh god don’t get me started… “NW BEDROOM … NE BEDROOM” .. roflwaffle. πŸ˜€

Quote:

but did a few DSC and alegro as well, and will be doing the DSC Comuique system in mu home soon enough.

DSC is the only way to go for residential / small commerical.. it can handle parititions too, and cellular through LINKS .. and wireless..

Quote:

**from Tina, probably the only person on here, or most other places, who knew what the hell you were talking about, πŸ˜€

No one knows what I’m talking about.. if they catch on, I’ll just get more and more obsecure, maybe go and start adjusting the nice levels on my raid, or adjust my mpm preforks, maybe trigger some disconnects on purpose in hdparm just so I can “claim” a hard drive I don’t like needs RMA .. then there’s always input sanitising (or injection finding — never shortages of those)..

If I get REALLY bored I could go back to learning how the DRBIII talks to the BCM and PCM in my car by using a piggyback evaspdropper, so I can use the OBDII-RS232 converter chips and reflash my own programming and adjust the fuel maps….. (or turn windshield wipers on everytime you hit 5000 RPM.. who knows!)

God I’m tired. πŸ˜†

Anonymous

PS — stop talking dirty tech to me or I might have to make you a partner πŸ˜€ … some kind of .. partner.. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Anonymous

Nirvanacat13 wrote:

Dragonessjade sent me some cool stuff, this one is for you Snap!
                    http://www.mrcomputerservices.com/downloads/pc_design.jpg

lol… wut?
                    Where’s that pic of when I put a car stereo in my 24″ tower… 8)

I promise I will put pics up of our new facility when we move.

LOL I get paid more living about 4.5 hours north east of you, you know where I am, that little city called the capital of newfoundland, or fortmcmoney πŸ˜‰ .

Anonymous

Nice. I could have stayed with the gov’t and went on northern allowance, but … why? I like Edmonton, and it’s cold enough here.

I still flirt with the idea of going to Iqualuit though, but I never realized how far East it really was, that negated the idea .. for now.

That is too far north, I lived at the NWT boarder almost that was too far north, I am happy where I am, good money, I dont ahve to live near edmonton again, but I still get to go for the weekend if I want.

Anonymous

Yeah, unless we set the bush on fire again, and you can’t leave on your one lousy highway. πŸ˜†

😯 y-y-you wouldn’t dare!!! But I guess there are always lots and lots of planes, LOL. Or the big Fort Chip to go to πŸ˜• .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.