9/25 Grab Bag Unicorn COLT Picture Thread

Home Forums Windstone Editions Grab Bags 9/25 Grab Bag Unicorn COLT Picture Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 237 total)
  • Author
    Bodine
    Participant

So excited I finally got mine today! He has amethyst gems. I really like him, but think he’ll be up for trade for a different colt, baby unicorn or a Poad.

photo a3f39f4f-e9f0-4c70-aff0-5c9c96b4da31_zps57eb479e.jpg photo 7b0adbc3-aa1c-4fda-a523-94cf18ae2bb6_zps918454bf.jpg
       photo 0e437340-e43e-47e3-91af-c03d450b33a8_zps744496bc.jpg photo b0bdeaf5-12f4-4484-bd4c-6bf6579862b2_zpsb8673d48.jpg

:O He’s amazing! Congratulations!
      I wish I had something to trade but I’m pretty limited right now ๐Ÿ™

No doubt!That ones gorgeous!

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
      (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
      Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

fatalbeauty
      Participant

Nice one Ruffian. ๐Ÿ™‚
        I wonder who got the “wild dog”one?

???? never saw a picture of that one….link?

4 things I'm looking for:
        1. Mother Meerkat
        2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
        3. Female Griffin โ€“ Siamese with White
        4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

Pam

I never saw any wild-dog colored ones…

etruscan
          Participant

Maybe you are thinking of one that Melody said was painted like a merle dog? (Blue merle dog ?) I don’t remember clearly and haven’t found the post yet. ๐Ÿ™‚

Edit – Aha! I found it! From the store description for the Grab Bag colts:

“I airbrushed this batch in natural horse colors, (except for the one that turned out like a Merl dog).”
            Still wondering what that one looks like!

rock-reader
            Participant

I googled “Merle Dog” and this is what I got:

I wonder if the one I got is the Merle because that’s what I thought when I opened the box lol, that and he needs blue eyes lol.

Kim
              Blocked

I was thinking maybe the one she thought was merle was the one in the middle of the group photo with grey and beige colours because some merles have a combination of grey and orange/beige colours. I have never seen a horse with that mix of colours unless someone else has?

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Falcolf
                Participant

Nope, merle is a dog colour. It doesn’t show up in horses. There’s two different kinds of merle, ‘blue merle’ (most Australian Shepherds and Blue Heelers/Australian Cattle Dogs are this; it shows up in other breeds of well of course including great danes and less commonly border collies) and ‘red merle’ which is a lot more rare. Red heelers (also Australian Cattle Dogs; blue heelers and red heelers are the same breed, just different coloured – properly in their breed standard they are called Australian Cattle Dogs) are red merle. One of the prettiest red merles that I have ever seen was a dachshund, believe it or not! ๐Ÿ˜€ Merles are very pretty dogs. They seem to be most common in herding breeds. ๐Ÿ™‚

Horses can get small discoloured splotches in their coats called birdcatcher spots but those are nothing like merle.

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Bodine
                  Participant

The Merle one is the one I meant.The wild dog was a young,sorry.Still wondering who got it and what it looks like.
                    A friend in Arkansas has Merle Pitbulls.You talk about some gorgeous dogs and all of his have at least one blue eye.
                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Every act matters.No matter how small๐Ÿ’ž
                    (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                    Male Hearth....one day๐ŸคžDream on.

Falcolf
                    Participant

Blue eyes happen most often in blue merles; personally I’m not sure if the colouration of African Wild Dogs is actually called merle because they are a wild species which is not closely related to wolves/dogs (though yes, they are canine but despite their name ‘African Wild Dog’ they are a dog only in the fact that they belong to the evolutionary Family Canidae – their latin name is Lycaon pictus) – merle being a dog colour. The eyes of African Wild Dogs are always brown (blue eyes being a trait of domesticated dogs/horses/cats and does not generally occur in wild populations of mammals. They DO occur in mustangs but mustangs are not wild – they are feral and their ancestors were domestic.) There are brown eyed blue merles but they aren’t as popular as the blue eyed ones which is why you see more of the blue-blues. (Oh people, breeding for looks only, whyyyyy. ๐Ÿ™ ) Brown eyes are really just as likely as the blue genetically (probably more, as I am guessing the blue-eye gene in dogs is recessive but when you have a lot of blue-eyed dogs getting together you get a lot of blue-eyed puppies) and it’s better to have brown eyes on one of these animals because sometimes dogs with blue eyes are born deaf. (Same with blue eyed cats.) Also, loads of blue eyed animals (especially dogs and horses) aren’t entirely blue eyed – many of them have both brown AND blue pigment in their eyes. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m a big fan of the brown-eyed blue merles; some blue eyes on dogs have a sort of intense ‘ghosty’ look that is a bit creepy. (Interestingly I’ve heard them called ghost eyes a few times.)

Really, you could also call African Wild Dogs calico if you wanted! Merle tends to be patches of the same colour in different shade gradients (like blue merle being a mix of silver, white and black. Red merle is mixes of dark reddish brown, chestnut and white.) Wikipedia (not that it’s the best source) describes merle as a colouration unique to domestic dogs.

Blue merle-like patterns can also be seen in some seal pups.

Sorry I’m an animal nerd. ๐Ÿ™ And sorry this is getting off topic. *shuts up*

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Just for clarification it refered to Dapple in dachshunds, but it is the same gene I believe. Merle is not an accepted Great Dane colour and I would recommend staying far away from any breeder purposely breeding them. The reason many breeds do not allow red or blue Merle is because the gene can cause a great deal of issues if done incorrectly, which it often is because it’s pretty. Breeding Merle to Merle (or dapple to dapple in dachshunds) can and will cause blindness and deafness, pups are often born both deaf and blind, and even with out eyes. If they have blue eyes and white ears they are probably deaf. It is commonly bred for in collies and shelies to get a colour headed white dog.

Here is my little colt! He actually arrived last week, but I’ve been busy and procrastinated on taking pictures. I actually found the delivery notice down the path by my house, apparently the wind had blown it off my door. Lucky I found it!

photo IMG_3829-1.jpg

He’s a lovely rich, metallic red bay, with a blaze and four white socks. I was hoping for something a little more busy and/or unusual colour wise, but he is still lovely. And I really do like the red crystals!

I was hoping to put him up for trade, but right after taking pictures I accidentally jostled my desk and he toppled over (AHHHHHH! Curse my bust!) and now has a tiny chip off the paint on his left ear. It’s something I can easily fix once I find the right adhesive, but I guess I will be keeping him now. Gotta think of a name!

Matryoshka
                      Participant

aww, that so sad about his little chip! I love the colour ๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks! I do really like dark red. blood bay on live horses. I feel like an idiot about the ear though.

Chloe
                        Participant

Thanks! I do really like dark red. blood bay on live horses. I feel like an idiot about the ear though.

I ALMOST toppled mine…..and freaked out. I stood there breathing heavy and in shock for a second. Luckily, I caught him at the last second, but it was a close one! Right then I remembered what Melody said about taking a class picture and them toppling over like dominoes.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 237 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.