fbpx

2016 Ebay Auction Picture Thread

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone 2016 Ebay Auction Picture Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 1,010 total)
  • Author
    etruscan
    Participant

Of course I track the winners of ebay auctions, but as an intellectual game, not to try to acquire something. It is interesting to see who is buying what. I was collecting other things on ebay before they started to hiding the identity of bidders, and it was a lot more fun to be able just to see who won something.

If I remember correctly, ebay started using concealed identities to cut down on off-ebay offers to sell a similar item to a losing bidder, or to buy an item that someone else won (as happened to Chloe). A lot of the “second chance” offers were scams, sad to say.

Ebay is a public venue and I think that the identity of a bidder/buyer is also public (if you can figure it out). On the other hand, sales in the Classifieds here are private and should stay that way unless the buyer chooses to post a photo of something.

Syn
      Participant

I only post pictures for Grab Bags, and not even for all sculpts. I have many pieces issued prior to Windstoneโ€™s gallery, wonderful pieces that many members now do not know exist. Members used to post pictures a lot more, and I enjoyed seeing their โ€œhomeโ€ pictures. People seemed to be genuinely happy for those who won pieces; now there seems to be more negative comments when people do not win a piece โ€ฆ. envy, compaints about how many pieces someone has won, why they want so many, etc.

No, I do not like to be โ€œtrackedโ€ by these negative people; I agree with Scathach and Chloe. However, I also agree with Etruscan. I do track the auctions I bid on; if I wasnโ€™t interested in the item, I wouldnโ€™t be bidding. If I do not win, I am still happy for the person who did. Of course it sometimes takes me a bit longer to get to that happy state; ๐Ÿ™‚ but there is only one time I didnโ€™t, the Koi Pond Male Unicorn. ๐Ÿ™ I still mourn that one.

etruscan
        Participant

I only post pictures for Grab Bags, and not even for all sculpts. I have many pieces issued prior to Windstoneโ€™s gallery, wonderful pieces that many members now do not know exist. Members used to post pictures a lot more, and I enjoyed seeing their โ€œhomeโ€ pictures. People seemed to be genuinely happy for those who won pieces; now there seems to be more negative comments when people do not win a piece โ€ฆ. envy, complaints about how many pieces someone has won, why they want so many, etc.

I don’t disagree, but I would suggest that there was less to covet when the Forum first started. Maybe it was easier to just enjoy collections without feeling envious. I can understand the frustration of someone who has just discovered Windstones when she sees a large collection. She may feel that she will never be able to have all the pieces she wants.

I started collecting/joined the Forum in 2010, so I missed the special ebay pieces that were painted and sold as Windstone got ready to move to Oregon. I also missed some of the original colors for the dragons and equines. However, I was around for the many ebay test paints that Windstone produced after the move while they were getting the new factory set up. I have been aware of the continuing stream of test paints, buying many that I liked, have had the opportunity to get production and LP pieces from the store, and have been able to participate in all the Grab Bags.

Compare that with someone who is just starting now. She has missed five years or more of test paints, missed the brown dragons, missed the Old Green dragons, missed the Ruby dragons, missed the Peacock dragons, missed the Emerald dragons, missed the white dragons, missed the Red Fire dragons, and may be trying to get Amethyst pieces before they disappear. Of the non-dragon sculpts, she has missed the brown kirins, the original white unicorns, the original black unicorns, the grulla unicorns, the original white pegs, the original black pegs, the palomino, buckskin, and Przwalski pegs … I’m sure I’m forgetting several things. She also has missed 37 Grab Bags. Then she sees photos of collections filled with wonderful pieces that she would love to own.

Envying someone else’s collection isn’t pretty – but it is understandable. That’s my feeling, anyway, and I’m sorry that so many people are no longer comfortable displaying their collections.

Pegasi1978
          Participant

“OIL SPOT #1” HATCHING DRAGON BY GINA

Ferlin1984
            Participant

I have to say this hatching dragon made me smile when I saw it. So cute!

MandBsMom
              Participant

Oooooo! I’m not really a fan of the version 2 hatcher, but the black sparkle paint on the egg combined with the Oil Spot color is gorgeous.

Love baby kirins, safari poads, mini keepers, and anything BLUE, BLUE, and, oh yes, BLUE.

Kim
                Blocked

To clarify I haven’t tracked or bid on any auctions in months. I rarely look at bids and have no clue who someone is on ebay or if they are on here. I just clicked on two of the dragons, noticed the bids and that the same person won them so yes it was a simple observation. Congrats to them and to Windstone as they sold for a good amount and it is nice seeing people value them as some haven’t sold for as much as they used to. Also not sure why someone would bring up something from the past like the cougars when this has nothing to do with them. Yes it does suck for anyone else who was bidding and lost but I got over that with the cougars and assumed everyone else would too. Not sure why anyone on here would get defensive about an innocent comment unless they were the winner maybe but I wasn’t being critical of anyone. I love seeing people’s collections and think it’s awesome when people post things they won. I thought that’s what being part of a forum was about, to be happy about collecting things and sharing pictures. In a perfect world, no one would ever get envious or upset at things like that but no one is perfect. It is not going to stop me from still sharing on here. If collecting things comes with bad feelings about sharing anything then why collect in the first place? I have noticed that the people who are positive on here also seem to get positive responses from other people so maybe we should all try to be more positive on here this year and leave the past behind.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

jmoore
                  Participant

Oooooo! I’m not really a fan of the version 2 hatcher, but the black sparkle paint on the egg combined with the Oil Spot color is gorgeous.

I agree! This guy is adorable!

Prezaurian
                    Participant

Of course I track the winners of ebay auctions, but as an intellectual game, not to try to acquire something. It is interesting to see who is buying what. I was collecting other things on ebay before they started to hiding the identity of bidders, and it was a lot more fun to be able just to see who won something.

If I remember correctly, ebay started using concealed identities to cut down on off-ebay offers to sell a similar item to a losing bidder, or to buy an item that someone else won (as happened to Chloe). A lot of the “second chance” offers were scams, sad to say.

Ebay is a public venue and I think that the identity of a bidder/buyer is also public (if you can figure it out). On the other hand, sales in the Classifieds here are private and should stay that way unless the buyer chooses to post a photo of something.

๐Ÿ™‚ I also like to look to see who wins, but not for the purpose of contacting them about the piece. For me, it’s also a game. I like to see how much disposable income some people have. It’s crazy and hilarious to watch! And I admit, I do get envious…but not of the pieces they win. I get envious about the money they seem to have. It would be nice to have the funds to go crazy like that (because a Secret Keeper would be awesome!). -laughs- I’d certainly pay off my car faster. ๐Ÿ˜€ It’s cool that they’re lucky enough to have/earn that kind of money. As someone who paints as a hobby, I think it’s even cooler that Windstone can earn money off of their art because it is super hard to do that.

People who have the funds to spend on luxury items (and art is a luxury item) keep a business like Windstone in…well, business! So no matter how envious I may be of their money, I can at least also be thankful about them too. Because I really love Windstone Editions!

GardenNinja
                      Participant

Link to eBay’s picture replaced with link to permanent storage.

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Ferlin1984
                        Participant

Wow! The green baby dragon blew me away! Go Gina!

GardenNinja
                          Participant

“MONARCH BUTTERFLY #1” OLD WARRIOR DRAGON BY GINA

My keyboard is broken. I keep pressing "Escape", but I'm still here.

Aggie83
                            Participant

I’m with prezaurian on this. It is a little bit of a game to see if I can figure out some of the bidders. And it also has kept me from bidding on some items, when I thought I knew who was bidding and knew that they were really after a certain sculpt based on comments on the ebay thread. (and other times I went ahead and bid – all’s fair in love and Windstones J) ) And I LOVED that cayenne set of unicorns and bid on both the daddy and the momma, but lost out. I would have loved to bid on the baby but when I saw the same person won both, I chose not to bid because I was sure they would want the set and I didn’t want to mess that up. Had I NOT known it was the same bidder, I would have gone after that baby with a vengeance.
                              Confession – I will admit there was a stretch when I was getting REALLY frustrated over a certain sculpt that was all going to the same bidder, but that’s the breaks and I am TRYING to be more adult about it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh, and I personally didn’t think anything about Kim’s comment, I took it as just an observation.

Rylorien
                              Participant

I’m with prezaurian on this. It is a little bit of a game to see if I can figure out some of the bidders. And it also has kept me from bidding on some items, when I thought I knew who was bidding and knew that they were really after a certain sculpt based on comments on the ebay thread. (and other times I went ahead and bid – all’s fair in love and Windstones J) ) And I LOVED that cayenne set of unicorns and bid on both the daddy and the momma, but lost out. I would have loved to bid on the baby but when I saw the same person won both, I chose not to bid because I was sure they would want the set and I didn’t want to mess that up. Had I NOT known it was the same bidder, I would have gone after that baby with a vengeance.
                                Confession – I will admit there was a stretch when I was getting REALLY frustrated over a certain sculpt that was all going to the same bidder, but that’s the breaks and I am TRYING to be more adult about it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh, and I personally didn’t think anything about Kim’s comment, I took it as just an observation.

This is pretty much my mentality on the whole situation, so I second prezaurian and aggie.

I’m adult enough to appreciate when other people wins things–especially if they’re some of the nice people on this forum–but I’m human enough to understand my selfish impulses, which mostly stem from simply not having the money to do what I’d like to do. I don’t hold it against people when they win though I can and do become bitter (towards my situation, not other people) at times I lose pieces I really love.

And, as etruscan said, it is very heartbreaking to come back into Windstones and see all that I’ve missed. Even if I have an opportunity to potentially obtain a piece I really like via a trade, there’s a much higher probability someone who’s been here even a year longer than I have will have a more valuable/desirable item to use as barter. At times it feels like a repetetive lose-lose situation and there’s not really anything I can do besides try to remain optimistic towards future grab bags + Ebay special items.

So yes, in that regard, it does suck. But that is MY problem, and I don’t lash out at other people because of it.

————————————————————————————————–

On another note, orange is not one of my colors in the least. But I do like the monarch butterfly scheme. So far I think the lap displays it best, though the old warrior would be a close second.

Ela_Hara
                                Participant

That OW in Monarch is AWESOME! Makes the Halloween Lover in me DROOL! Orange and Black! :love:
                                  Can’t wait to see a Curlie in this scheme Gina! Although I’m sure if I do, I most likely won’t be able to win it, but still makes Nice Eye Candy!

Would the Monarch scheme be easy enough to do as a Production Color?

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                                  Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                                  Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                                  *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 1,010 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.