2013 GB Young wants!

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone 2013 GB Young wants!

Viewing 12 posts - 196 through 207 (of 207 total)
  • Author
    Setsunawolf
    Participant

Goof up edition. I have one of the babies from that batch and that’s what her felt pad says. She came from a bad casting, and there were repairs to the scuplt, so she was never “mint.” Melody just painted them uniquely to see if they could save /sell the defective sculpts. And thus the grab bags were born.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
      Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
      Sun Dragon Koi #3

Setsunawolf
      Participant

Please, I need to say this again: The horns had nothing to do with this. We will make more horns and produce more unicorns, when time permits, so don’t let that influence your thinking, or buying.

You have the right idea about capital to invest however, and that has everything to do with the reality of the situation. This sale got one month’s rent and all the bills paid which leaves us only one month behind in the rent, as we have been for two years (kind of a loan from our landlord that we haven’t been able to pay back).

And I think it was more like 16 hours when they went out of stock, which means, even at $360, there was clearly not enough to go around. And that with a “one per” limit. Yes, Melody went nuts with the decoration on these and they were expensive, which got me to wondering earlier tonight, if she had painted a very plain batch of grab bag Emperor Dragons and we had put them in the store for $1000 each, how would this thread read? Think about it. But that’s a thread for another day.

Sorry John. I didn’t mean to imply the horn issue had anything to with the price. I simply wanted to people to understand why I thought you should do the last 100 as GB. My reasons really were about capital and the best use of resource investment. It simply makes more sense financially to sell the last 100 for 36,000 versus 8000.

Although GB Emperors huh? Give me a heads up about that one. It’ll take a few months (like 12 or so) of saving for one of those bad boys. πŸ˜‰

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
        Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
        Sun Dragon Koi #3

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

OOoh yea, goof ups! I remember now. I don’t have mine anymore… in fact I may have missed them entirely. I don’t remember, but I do remeber they were $65 a piece. LOL!

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Christine
          Participant

Chris, Maybe this batch was significantly different, but I am not sure that there was ever a concept behind the idea of selling these editions. It was just a screwy idea that was tossed out and acted on. We have never had any particular grand plan for what might happen next, or what it might turn into. We didn’t originate the idea of selling Windstone pieces on eBay, the collectors did, but we upped the ante with special pieces. Just another example of acting on an impulse to see what would come of it. The PYOs were partly intended to give people an affordable way to participate, but I don’t remember giving any such thought to the grab bags as they became more ornate. Now don’t get me wrong, we are quite sensitive to what you guys feel, and we do utilize the feedback we get as best we can, but there is are, at any point in time, financial and logistic realities to running the business that we cannot ignore. I, for one, still have a hard time understanding why Melody actually sits down and paints 100 or 200 of these pieces and then goes back and does it again a month later when we need so many other facets of her talent in so many areas. One way or the other, I don’t think we will be able to keep these things from evolving and I just hope that the forum members and collectors realize that it is a necessary evolution that we will try and steer back toward earth. But it may not be the same. That’s OK. Whatever comes next should still of great value and be fun. Let’s see if we can make the Kickstarter project fun, affordable and successful.

You said this well and it’s sort of the same conclusion I’ve been coming to over the past few days. πŸ™‚ Thanks for listening to our feedback, and giving us some of your own so we understand better all the factors that come into play!

A lot of collectors like me were ecstatic to have a chance at a piece made by Melody. I’ve not sold any of my GB Unis on the aftermarket, save one privately (below the going aftermarket), because I love them so! I was never in this for free money. While the concept of Grab Bags was evolving with each batch, it kinda became a certain special thing to a lot of collectors, even if it wasn’t the main intent of the staff at the outset. But that last bit certainly has not been discussed/acknowledged at this level before!

Now that it has, I dunno, a lot makes more sense and it seems futile to get sad about only being able to go so far on that evolutionary path. I’m really looking forward to hearing more about the Kickstarter idea. Thanks again for listening and for letting us know why you decide what you do; you’re not under obligation to do either and we all appreciate it quite a lot.

Katrina
            Participant

I don’t post on the forum much but I feel like adding my two cents to this conversation as I feel that it is an important one we need to have. Most of us love the grab bags. However, the price is becoming too high of a hurdle for many of us. Ms. Melody and Windstone in general deserves to make money on their work, and has the right to dictate whatever price they feel they must in order to do so. These are facts. However, we are a creative community. We should be able to find a solution (or solutions) that will satisfy both fans and art creators. I think the Kickstarter idea is genius, but it still does not address the issue of grab bags taking up Ms. Melody’s time. I know many people like grab bags because they are by Ms. Melody, but we are voracious for them, and she only has so much time. Plus, we are shooting ourselves in the foot by asking her to do grab bags rather than work on new sculpts or other neat things. For me personally, the random chance and the possibility of community trading (though I’ve yet to ever trade) are heavy driving factors in buying grab bags. Beauty is a factor in how much I’m willing to pay for that random chance (thus I have one on the way). So, how could the price be reduced? One possibility I have heard is getting someone else to do grab bags. I wanted to expand on this. What if, instead of them being done by “a Windstone artist,” Windstone set some talented but not very well-known painter to painting a batch? They would probably accept less pay than a known artist, Ms. Melody would have more time, and the artist could get name recognition and show the range they are capable of. It could be like a young artist spotlight. Think of how wonderful P.S. and Jordan’s pieces are. Jennifer Miller, though probably more well-known, created one of the most expensive Windstones ever sold. They would be pretty, they would be cheaper, and they would give us grab bags while Ms. Melody worked on other stuff. Just a thought I had.Β 

Christine
              Participant

I think the Kickstarter idea is genius, but it still does not address the issue of grab bags taking up Ms. Melody’s time. I know many people like grab bags because they are by Ms. Melody, but we are voracious for them, and she only has so much time. Plus, we are shooting ourselves in the foot by asking her to do grab bags rather than work on new sculpts or other neat things…One possibility I have heard is getting someone else to do grab bags. I wanted to expand on this. What if, instead of them being done by “a Windstone artist,” Windstone set some talented but not very well-known painter to painting a batch?

I think this is a great idea! I would not be deterred at all from buying another GB piece from one of the other talented artists at the factory. πŸ™‚ Melody’s work will always be highly sought after, but I like the idea of her having more free time to do what she wants!

Jenny
                Participant

I think artist spotlight grab bags are a wonderful idea, as well! Gives the other artists a chance to do creative pieces and draw a lot of attention to a proverbial portfolio of work πŸ™‚ I’d definitely still be interested in buying GB sets from other windstone artists, as well <3.

fatalbeauty
                  Participant

I think the Kickstarter idea is genius, but it still does not address the issue of grab bags taking up Ms. Melody’s time. I know many people like grab bags because they are by Ms. Melody, but we are voracious for them, and she only has so much time. Plus, we are shooting ourselves in the foot by asking her to do grab bags rather than work on new sculpts or other neat things…One possibility I have heard is getting someone else to do grab bags. I wanted to expand on this. What if, instead of them being done by “a Windstone artist,” Windstone set some talented but not very well-known painter to painting a batch?

I think this is a great idea! I would not be deterred at all from buying another GB piece from one of the other talented artists at the factory. πŸ™‚ Melody’s work will always be highly sought after, but I like the idea of her having more free time to do what she wants!

I agree with this idea too!

4 things I'm looking for:
                    1. Mother Meerkat
                    2. production color Sitting Young Oriental dragons to be made in more colors besides VF
                    3. Female Griffin – Siamese with White
                    4. September Raffle Prize 2022 AHD Male Griffin

John
                    Keymaster

Maybe I didn’t suggest it strongly enough, but this is exactly what we have been working toward. However, it takes not just an artist, it takes an artist who can paint and think at the same time, and fast. Melody can paint these things at full speed, and each one different and of about the same quality. That’s a tough act to follow! But stay tuned.

Chloe
                      Participant

So…..back to GBY wants….

I am looking for the Zipmunk in the store photo. I missed the livestreams, so I don’t know his/her name, but she is the far left unicorn in the store photo. I have a GBB that matches, and would LOVE to see them together.
                         photo young_unicorn_grab_bag700x335_zps4314c137.jpg

If you get this one and are not in love, I would definitely work something out with you. I have other GBs, Poads, youngs, and babies, and would perhaps be willing to talk about trading one of my eBay pieces. I could also perhaps broker a three-way (or more) trade. Please PM me, I won’t hound you. πŸ™‚ Thanks for considering me if you get this lovely unicorn. πŸ™‚

Edit: Or I could possibly purchase.

Sikek
                        Participant

Aardwolf #1 for me! No chance though =) Would like to see pictures if he surfaces.

Found thank you

Viewing 12 posts - 196 through 207 (of 207 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.