fbpx

2013 GB Young wants!

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone 2013 GB Young wants!

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 207 total)
  • Author
    Kalandra
    Participant

There is something I would like to say, but I really don’t want a backlash for saying what I’m thinking or what others might be thinking.

There is no doubt in my mind, that Melody and the entire team at Windstone put a lot of work, and hours into these guys, and they should be fairly paid for doing so.

My problem is: When the GB’s first came out they were pretty basic natural horse colors, and then the regular fantasy young came out, and of corse the price went up. ( rightfully so, given the extra work, and effort.). But for the most part those unicorn were still on the basic side compared to what we have now.

Then the safaris came out, price went up because the complexity went up, then the crazy wild candycorn/ fantasy …. Price went up…same reasons as above, And every time a new batch came out, I thought to myself ” wow, how is Melody going to top herself next” because every new batch has been better than the last, to the point that you now have EBay level pieces and eBay prices.

I thought the purpose of the GB’s was to give EVERYONE a chance to own a beautifully painted piece at a good price…..

I don’t think anyone asked for these to be so elaborate and expensive. I’m willing to bet that if a normal batch of fantasy or natural colored horse was painted at a lower price, most customers would be happy with that.

Now I understand some of the “aftermarket ” prices were, and are in the range of this current batch, but not everyone sold their $130.00 GB for $200-$300+. And not everyone can afford that. And I feel if any GB makes it into this price range, they should be offered on eBay, because the purpose of these was to allow everyone to be able to afford one, not just those with large bank accounts….. And I fully believe the vast majority of customers here were not paying the after market price, I think it was a handful of people…… Which is fine, but the majority of people on this forum have a price limit on what they can spend on an item that just sits there looking pretty. (And I mean no disrespect, because I love my WS’s, but lets face it, they are just pretty dust catchers and sometimes I have to ask myself “am I out of my mind for spending as much as I have on my collection?” The answer is NO! Because Melody’s creations and art are amazing….

I don’t want to come across as bitter, I have more then enough funds for this current batch…… I just can not bring myself to part with that much money on a GB. I would be happier with a more basic color scheme, and a lower price tag.

Kalandra

Kiya
      Participant

I think if the consensus is people would REALLY like to see the last few youngs painted in a simpler scheme, you guys should start a thread asking for it. I’m fine with another batch of elaborate ones so I don’t plan to start a thread. 🙂

These ARE ebay quality pieces. I disagree the prices are ebay prices. The last grab bag young which was VERY SIMPLE that was offered by the factory went for $700.

But, it’s a fair point that you think that most people would be happy with a simpler, less expensive batch. So again, I recommend you go squeak for it! 🙂

I wouldn’t expect the price to change if Melody paints the last of the youngs (for awhile anyway – this is the end of the existing horns!) in a similar scheme. Can you imagine what would happen if they sold the last unicorns in the same type of scheme for less after the $360 for these? That would be a huge mess! LOL

drag0nfeathers
        Participant

Not to beat a dead horse, buuuuuuut we just had a normal batch of baby unicorns and that didn’t make the price go down at all… I mean, I’m not complaining here, just wondering if anyone remembers that. There were appys, pintos, etc. Dapples were just about the only thing that was different.

I’m just saying that making “less complicated” ones doesn’t seem to be really something that’s going to have a huge effect on the selling price. It’s simply a fact of supply and demand in my opinion. *shrug* Not trying to sway anything of course, but it might not be something that is possible for Windstone at this juncture so I wouldn’t hold them to that is all I’m saying.

Got a busted Windstone?
          drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
          *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
          Arc-en-ciel Emperor
          Siphlophis Male Dragon
          Calypso Hatching Empress
          Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
          Tattoo Mother Kirin
          Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
          Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
          Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
          Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
          Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
          Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Kiya
          Participant

Not to beat a dead horse, buuuuuuut we just had a normal batch of baby unicorns and that didn’t make the price go down at all… I mean, I’m not complaining here, just wondering if anyone remembers that. There were appys, pintos, etc. Dapples were just about the only thing that was different.

I’m just saying that making “less complicated” ones doesn’t seem to be really something that’s going to have a huge effect on the selling price. It’s simply a fact of supply and demand in my opinion. *shrug* Not trying to sway anything of course, but it might not be something that is possible for Windstone at this juncture so I wouldn’t hold them to that is all I’m saying.

I have absolutely no idea either way – but I figure it couldn’t hurt to ask. 🙂

Pam

The aftermarket price was not the sole reason for the price increase 🙂 My understanding was that it was for a variety of reasons: horn shortage, needing to pay bills(!), time and effort that went into making the unis, and the knowledge that the unis would still sell out just as well at $360, which they did (albeit slower – 23 hours instead of a few minutes). Even with 23 hours, Susie still got a couple emails from people who missed them before they went out of stock.

Danzig Moon (Karen)
              Participant

These ARE ebay quality pieces. I disagree the prices are ebay prices. The last grab bag young which was VERY SIMPLE that was offered by the factory went for $700.

I actually own the LAST 2 YOUNG that were sold BY Windstone on Ebay. Overo TP #3 w/bi colored eye’s and Dark Dapple Gray TP #3. Overo came out right as the first batch of GB Young were coming out and Dapple Gray was put up after a different set of GB Young had left the store. I would have to get their COA’s out but I don’t believe were over $300.00 for each of them.

The one that has recently sold for $700.00 was Nebula and he was in a Private Collector’s set and is a coveted piece as was Lexicon and several of the other’s that have brought such price’s.

We knew what those Young looked like before spending that much money on them. I have paid close to the same for some of the Young I own and in a weird twist would have really loved to have seen Melody receive some of that money, for she is the one who painted those masterpiece’s for us.

These we don’t, I did hesitate on buying them because of the price and the unknown’s on them. I’m just hoping for mine to be something I want and if not at least someone else want’s it or if all else fail’s send it back to the store.

*** Always looking for Brindles..*** AWD Pieces **** Lavender Coiled Mother with Globe**** if you have one you would like to sell or trade please contact me ?

drag0nfeathers
                Participant

Vesper was a damaged return Windstone had and sold for $700 on ebay after his horn was replaced, I think that was the one they were referring to on ebay.

Got a busted Windstone?
                  drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                  *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                  Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                  Siphlophis Male Dragon
                  Calypso Hatching Empress
                  Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                  Tattoo Mother Kirin
                  Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                  Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                  Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                  Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                  Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                  Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Kiya
                  Participant

Vesper was a damaged return Windstone had and sold for $700 on ebay after his horn was replaced, I think that was the one they were referring to on ebay.

Yes, that is the one I was referring to – thanks, drag0n!

Sarah
                    Participant

I’m one of those who emailed Susie about the possibility of any extra’s becoming available. After thinking on it, I decided the risk was worth the price, since this set has so many gorgeous pieces in it. I’m not good with making spontaneous decisions regarding lots of money! So I slept on it, and the uni’s were all sold by morning, which I expected. I am happy either way it goes- if I get one I’ll be on pins and needles, hoping for a Safari and my bank account will be crying, if not, I save myself spending a bunch of money! So, win-win. 🙂 Regardless, I really hope lots of people post photos as they arrive!

I hope it doesnt’ hurt Melody’s feelings to hear all the debate on prices! If I comment on prices, its more about my own personal ability to pay, not about the worth of the piece! I’m always happy when the profit of the artwork goes to the artist themself and not the second-hand seller. As a working artist in the entertainment industry, I know how frustrating it can be to produce art and then helplessly watch as a company makes millions off of your designs when you were paid pennies. So the artist making the profit instead of others= win.

rock-reader
                      Participant

I thought the purpose of the GB’s was to give EVERYONE a chance to own a beautifully painted piece at a good price…..

I don’t think anyone asked for these to be so elaborate and expensive. I’m willing to bet that if a normal batch of fantasy or natural colored horse was painted at a lower price, most customers would be happy with that.

Now I understand some of the “aftermarket ” prices were, and are in the range of this current batch, but not everyone sold their $130.00 GB for $200-$300+. And not everyone can afford that. And I feel if any GB makes it into this price range, they should be offered on eBay, because the purpose of these was to allow everyone to be able to afford one, not just those with large bank accounts….. And I fully believe the vast majority of customers here were not paying the after market price, I think it was a handful of people…… Which is fine, but the majority of people on this forum have a price limit on what they can spend on an item that just sits there looking pretty. (And I mean no disrespect, because I love my WS’s, but lets face it, they are just pretty dust catchers and sometimes I have to ask myself “am I out of my mind for spending as much as I have on my collection?” The answer is NO! Because Melody’s creations and art are amazing….

I don’t want to come across as bitter, I have more then enough funds for this current batch…… I just can not bring myself to part with that much money on a GB. I would be happier with a more basic color scheme, and a lower price tag.

I would like to respond to a few points (and no, you don’t come across as bitter and you make some very reasonable agruements) First, I thought the original purpose of the Grab Bag was to let Melody paint some flawed castings and sell them at a slightly higher than stock price because Melody painted them. (Normally flawed pieces would have been recycled – this was a way for Windstone to not take the hit for the problem sculpts). I’m not sure about the evolution of the grab bags from basic colors to more elaborate colors (which I totally like) but it might have been a combination of forum members squeeking and Melody trying new things to keep from getting bored…I don’t know. What I do know is that all the grab bags sold out shortly after being posted to the store but, according to John, Windstone was still having trouble breaking even, let alone showing a profit. Also, don’t want to take a chance of getting stuck with a piece you don’t love? Don’t buy a grab bag. Wait, as many have wisely decided to do and wait to see what is available in the classifieds and on ebay. Maybe your favorite piece will be up for sale or trade and you can get it for what you think its worth. Ours is a supply and demand economy. Lastly, about the after market sales: I started following this website last December, a day after the grab bag baby candycorns posted. I read that the website has crashed repeatedly because people were rushing to get their ‘corn and, when I saw pictures of the candycorns online, I understood why. I was entranced, even obsessed. And I wanted one, just one, so I started haunting the classifieds and ebay. Until this last month, I have never seen a GBB unicorn or young poad listed for less than $200 (and this includes the older ones that sold originally for much less than $130). Most listed for $275 to $350 (some up to $500-$600!!) and the ones offered were rarely the top favorites; those were sometimes traded I gathered but I had nothing to trade. Many stayed with the people who had gambled on the grab bag and had forever homes. As I said, I was hooked in a OCD type way. I don’t blame anyone for not selling at lower prices; Melody’s pieces, we all agree, are worth it. My point is that if you want normal but beautiful colors, you go to production pieces. IMO it would be a waste of time to have Melody pump out grab bag babies in normal, stock colors (that could just as easily be done in production) just so we can have “OOAK Melody” pieces at an inexpensive price. Once you get into the safari/supernatural colors, you are talking artistic innovation and alot of time spent designing and creating each piece. The price has to go up, we’ve all agreed. So, you want less expensive? (that would fit my budget better too) Ask for more stock normal colors/patterns to be done in the store and/or have a grab bag that incorporates a small assortment of Melody’s less exotic designs painted by the production artists.

In a perfect world Melody could spend all her time creating original artwork that would sell at a price that we could all afford. Maybe when she wins the Powerball Lottery she will. This isn’t a perfect world; we all get left outside the store window sometime, staring in at the fantastically executed Melody Pena dragon or unicorn or whatever that we can’t afford. That’s life in a nutshell….

rock-reader
                        Participant

I would like to respond to a few points (and no, you don’t come across as bitter and you make some very reasonable agruements) First, I thought the original purpose of the Grab Bag was to let Melody paint some flawed castings and sell them at a slightly higher than stock price because Melody painted them. (Normally flawed pieces would have been recycled – this was a way for Windstone to not take the hit for the problem sculpts). I’m not sure about the evolution of the grab bags from basic colors to more elaborate colors (which I totally like) but it might have been a combination of forum members squeeking and Melody trying new things to keep from getting bored…I don’t know. What I do know is that all the grab bags sold out shortly after being posted to the store but, according to John, Windstone was still having trouble breaking even, let alone showing a profit. Also, don’t want to take a chance of getting stuck with a piece you don’t love? Don’t buy a grab bag. Wait, as many have wisely decided to do and wait to see what is available in the classifieds and on ebay. Maybe your favorite piece will be up for sale or trade and you can get it for what you think its worth. Ours is a supply and demand economy. Lastly, about the after market sales: I started following this website last December, a day after the grab bag baby candycorns posted. I read that the website has crashed repeatedly because people were rushing to get their ‘corn and, when I saw pictures of the candycorns online, I understood why. I was entranced, even obsessed. And I wanted one, just one, so I started haunting the classifieds and ebay. Until this last month, I have never seen a GBB unicorn or young poad listed for less than $200 (and this includes the older ones that sold originally for much less than $130). Most listed for $275 to $350 (some up to $500-$600!!) and the ones offered were rarely the top favorites; those were sometimes traded I gathered but I had nothing to trade. Many stayed with the people who had gambled on the grab bag and had forever homes. As I said, I was hooked in a OCD type way. I don’t blame anyone for not selling at lower prices; Melody’s pieces, we all agree, are worth it. My point is that if you want normal but beautiful colors, you go to production pieces. IMO it would be a waste of time to have Melody pump out grab bag babies in normal, stock colors (that could just as easily be done in production) just so we can have “OOAK Melody” pieces at an inexpensive price. Once you get into the safari/supernatural colors, you are talking artistic innovation and alot of time spent designing and creating each piece. The price has to go up, we’ve all agreed. So, you want less expensive? (that would fit my budget better too) Ask for more stock normal colors/patterns to be done in the store and/or have a grab bag that incorporates a small assortment of Melody’s less exotic designs painted by the production artists.

In a perfect world Melody could spend all her time creating original artwork that would sell at a price that we could all afford. Maybe when she wins the Powerball Lottery she will. This isn’t a perfect world; we all get left outside the store window sometime, staring in at the fantastically executed Melody Pena dragon or unicorn or whatever that we can’t afford. That’s life in a nutshell….

Matryoshka
                          Participant

I think people have said clear enough why aftermarket prices are higher than store prices for very valid reasons.
                            If windstone want those prices they could have put them on eBay too. Most GB items that have gone straight to eBay by windstone have sold for more than the “second-hand” grab bags so I don’t see why people should be complaining about windstone not getting the money. The big reason they aren’t is because these pieces are being sold as blind-bags- not eBay items.

I also just want to make a point that the aftermarket prices also work FOR windstone- even if they don’t get the money. How many people honestly would have gambled $360 on this batch if they knew they couldn’t get their money back on eBay if they dislike the piece they receive? There’s no way I would have.
                            Keep in mind people selling grabbags on eBay don’t get all that money anyway- shipping costs and taxes make grab bags A LOT more than $360. Even if we can re-sell on ebay for $400 we still may be short of money.

Jenny
                            Participant

Slightly off topic – but didn’t someone create a database of the young unicorns from the last GB? I know that my wife bought one before either of us were on the forums much – and I was curious to see the range of designs from last time.

Danzig Moon (Karen)
                              Participant

Slightly off topic – but didn’t someone create a database of the young unicorns from the last GB? I know that my wife bought one before either of us were on the forums much – and I was curious to see the range of designs from last time.

Yes, here is the page that Hannah has made and I hope will continue. It is a sampling of the piece’s but not all of them.

http://www.deadbunny.org/gby/index.html

And this is done by Amy Jane. It is all of the tread’s with pic’s.

http://www.windstoneeditions.com/forum/directory-grab-bag-windstone-photo-threads

*** Always looking for Brindles..*** AWD Pieces **** Lavender Coiled Mother with Globe**** if you have one you would like to sell or trade please contact me ?

Danzig Moon (Karen)
                                Participant

Yes, that is the one I was referring to – thanks, drag0n!

OK, I’ll take that one because I did win him, I thought you were referring to Neb. I wasn’t even thinking about Vesper, that was just like buying after market with him.

These are different, I think that until some are seen in person people are just worried and I’m just feeling bad for a lot of my friend’s who, have been collector’s far longer than me, can not afford to pay Ebay price’s for these piece’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 207 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.