fbpx

+2 suggestions added to the Classifieds rules

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone +2 suggestions added to the Classifieds rules

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

Just wanted to let you know that we did add two more suggestions to the Classifieds Rules page. These are suggestions, NOT rules. This is based on discussion I’ve had with others, including some Windstone Staff, as the best way we can suggest for our users to protect themselves.

http://windstoneeditions.com/content/classified-ad-rules-guidelines

New Suggestions:

When trading, consider “buying” piece from each other as a form of protection. Trading items comes with no “buyer/seller” protection, as no money is exchanged. Because of this, it is trust based alone, and where we see the most problems! We strongly suggest that upon agreeing to a trade that you actually purchase each other’s items at an agreed upon, fair, and equal value via PayPal (or another service that grants buyer protection). This gives you recourse if something goes wrong with the trade. The money lost to transaction fees can be worth it, if something goes wrong!

I know that it’s sort of a bummer to lose a little bit of money via PayPal fees, trust me. But, and ESPECIALLY if you don’t know a person well, this could really save your bacon if the other person doesn’t send their end of the trade, or sends something other than what you agreed upon. Most trades seem to be for grab bag items and others that aren’t super expensive, so the PayPal fees shouldn’t be too bad. Again this is a suggestion we are making just in hopes that it will keep people honest!

When selling an item, if using PayPal, consider invoicing your buyer. This is easy to do when logged into PayPal. Invoicing a buyer makes sure not only that they understand exactly what they are getting, but that they will send the money to the correct PayPal account, and will not send it accidentally as a ‘personal payment’. This also makes record-keeping easier, and tax time easier too!

I talked about this in the last thread, but it’s a very good idea, and only takes a minute to do.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Prezaurian
      Participant

Ooo! I LIKE that first one! I’ve always felt very skittish about trading. That suggestion would make me a heck of a lot more comfortable about it.

Kim
        Blocked

I agree. I thought about that when I first started trading with people, about just buying each other’s items as a form of protection but then it seemed everyone just trusted each other so I went with that. But I think everyone probably should start trading or buying this new way unless they know someone super well on here and have a history dealing with them.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Mary
          Participant

Very good suggestions. I’m always a little nervous trading with forum members that are new or don’t have any feedback, and these tips help solve that problem.

Christine
            Participant

It’s easy to forget to forward feedback as well. I have positive feedback but it’s several years old and I’ve had….probably a hundred good transactions on the forum since then, buying/selling/trading. I tend to be lazy about it too since the people I trade with regularly are really trusted and also have good feedback already. Never hurts to have more though! I’m going to start being more proactive about feedback! πŸ™‚

Ela_Hara
              Participant

It’s easy to forget to forward feedback as well. I have positive feedback but it’s several years old and I’ve had….probably a hundred good transactions on the forum since then, buying/selling/trading. I tend to be lazy about it too since the people I trade with regularly are really trusted and also have good feedback already. Never hurts to have more though! I’m going to start being more proactive about feedback! πŸ™‚

This is an excellent point – I’ve traded (and sold/purchased) successfully with several forum members over the past 1-1/2 to 2 years and I’m not listed on the Feedback lists – I’ve also been remiss on reporting my experiences too. I need to rectify that.

IN SEARCH OF MY NEXT GRAILS:
                Black Peacock & Butternut Adult Poads
                Kickstarter 'Rainbow Tiger' Bantam Dragon

*~*~*~* Ela_Hara: The DragonKeeper *~*~*~*
                *** Come visit me on deviantArt at http://ela-hara.deviantart.com

Prezaurian
                Participant

-looks sheepish- I third this. I’ve not left feedback for anyone, though I’ve had a small handful of experiences (all positive I might add). I need to start leaving feedback for the list. I’ll try to fix that for future experiences.

Kim
                  Blocked

Same here. I don’t know how many pieces I have bought, sold or traded, maybe 100 in the last couple years? I did ask some people to leave feedback but I only have one on there. I have left feedback for a few people but should probably go through and leave more.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

StormDancer
                    Participant

I had been leaving feedback but haven’t in the last year because the last time I looked at the feedback lists I wasn’t in them either. I got the impression that people were not really using the list much.
                      So I went thru my messages yesterday and made sure to leave feedback for everyone that I have bought from, sold to or traded with in the last 2 years. Ive been lucky, they are all positive.

Looking for:
                      "COSMIC SHIFT DRAGONS and KI-RINS" and the "OCTOPUS TANUKI TEST PAINT #1"

Mary
                      Participant

I confess that I also have been quite lazy about updating the Feedback list after every trade. It gets a little time consuming, for those of us that do lots of trading, but I’ll try to get better about it.

Although, I must admit that I don’t check the whitelist, but mostly concerned with blacklast before doing a trade with anyone I’ve not traded with before.

And, I know that there can be extenuating circumstances to every transaction. Some forum members on the blacklist, I’ve had good experiences in doing trades. So, I guess all we can do is take the best precautions while trading.

Kiera
                        Participant

But then what happens if one trader’s item does not arrive, is stolen, or broken? The sender is automatically out the money? (Assuming they are a legit trader who has proof of shipping).

Two traders each send $200 to the other, and then ship a grab bag baby uni. But one is lost or damaged. The one who received the damaged one, gets their money back? (Say, they open a claim for a damaged item). Since Canada Post does not offer insurance on fragile items (does US Post?), then the sender of the broken uni is out of pocket.

Do we trust recipients to not file a claim for a broken item? Or do we currently expect senders to pay for or replace something damaged in the post?

I agree, i think these are great suggestions

Recently married to the ever lovable BiPolarBear (little John)
                          www.weaselsoneasels.com | www.facebook.com/weaselsoneasels

As seen on This is Life with Lisa Ling on CNN (2018) !
                          Always open for pyo commissions, repairs and fine artwork! Email me for current prices! awier(@)weaselsoneasels.com

Falcolf
                          Participant

This is an excellent point – I’ve traded (and sold/purchased) successfully with several forum members over the past 1-1/2 to 2 years and I’m not listed on the Feedback lists – I’ve also been remiss on reporting my experiences too. I need to rectify that.

I just gave feedback for you Ela-hara. πŸ™‚ (Don’t worry, nothing but glowing praise!)

I frankly never knew that the feedback list even existed until recently but I have also only ever traded once.

Check out my finished artwork at http://falcolf.deviantart.com/ and my sketch/studio blog at http://rosannapbrost.tumblr.com/

Excellent!

Jennifer
                            Keymaster

Do we trust recipients to not file a claim for a broken item? Or do we currently expect senders to pay for or replace something damaged in the post?

If I understand correctly, then yes, if insurance is not an option. In the US, insurace is available at a cost. Claiming it is a bear at times,, but thats why it’s so important to pack well. The whole point of doing it that way is to treat the items like purchased items, with all of the same buyer/seller protections in place as if one is buying and selling. But, trade as you wish to, as this was not a rule but only a suggestion to better protect people doing trades.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                              My art: featherdust.com

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.