fbpx

2 New Unicorns and Really Bad Pix

Home Forums Windstone Editions Paint-Your-Own Windstone 2 New Unicorns and Really Bad Pix

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Ok, I didn’t think I’d be painting these, but the gal who was sending the big commission hasn’t even shipped the horses yet (but she paid! πŸ˜€ ) so I had a few moments to paint. I’ve gotten a lot of dapple grey requests on other horses, so that’s what I painted last night, and this pretty came about. I know this is just about an awful picture of her, my greys are very nice. I actally really like her, but probably can’t keep her just because of a bad buisness deal I made and am STILL paying for. gag. Anyway, here she is. She will have a black mane and tail, maybe one white sock to give her some color, brown eyes.

The second one I’m slightly annoyed about. Someone non-windstoneland commissioned an “airbrushed black and white pinto”, sent me a picture, ect. Well, I tried to tell her that is a BAD idea, airbrushing pinto markings creates overspray, and DUH, this one has it.. well, I sent her pxi of this gal 2 weeks ago, and never heard back. I did have a better picture, I’m not sure hwhere it went. This one is really quick. Does anyone think I should keep working on her, or just scrape her altogether? I was thinking about doing something similar to this, but by hand, so there isn’t so much overspray.

Wow, sorry the pic is so insianly dark.

Andrea
    Participant

That dapple grey is amazing! Love it!
      You can fix the paint. Just hand paint the markings larger and paint over the overspray.

Phoenix wrote:

That dapple grey is amazing! Love it!
      You can fix the paint. Just hand paint the markings larger and paint over the overspray.

Yeah, I know, I was thinking about totally redoing her though. Maybe similar pattern but bay or something. Black and white is very bland. She’s cute and all, but I donno.

Adaneth
      Participant

I love that dapple grey! πŸ˜€

Adaneth wrote:

Thanks. She’s actually not so washed out and stark in person, the flash really doens’t do well with these guys sometimes πŸ˜•

Participant

bluepony78 wrote:

Adaneth wrote:

Thanks. She’s actually not so washed out and stark in person, the flash really doens’t do well with these guys sometimes πŸ˜•

How do you create the dappling effect with an airbrush?

Yah, I love that dapple grey!! I wanna know too, how did you do the dapples with the airbush? White over grey, grey over white, avoidance? I’m so close to just saying screw it and getting an airbrush w/ my credit card, seeing your paintjobs isn’t helping my will power!! πŸ˜†

asinnamon wrote:

Yah, I love that dapple grey!! I wanna know too, how did you do the dapples with the airbush? White over grey, grey over white, avoidance? I’m so close to just saying screw it and getting an airbrush w/ my credit card, seeing your paintjobs isn’t helping my will power!! πŸ˜†

haha.
          It’s taken me 3 years to do decent dapple greys. I paint about 15 a month, which has spured things along a lot.
          I do 8 layers, starting on white. This uni didn’t get 8, I think she only got 5. My darker ones, like this, get about 8 layers. Takes me about 3 hours to do a horse like that.

Hubby is actually wanting me to upgrade my airbrush again. Right now I use an Eclipse($85ish) and an HP-C ($125-150). I have my eye on one of the newer ones that are about $300, but I gotta get my money back out of the horses I bought last week before I can do anything fun like that πŸ˜•

wolflodge100
          Participant

I love the dapple, she is cute! πŸ˜€

Maria
            Participant

Your dappling is amazing, bluepony! And I don’t think the pinto looks that bad, really.

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Your dappling is amazing, bluepony! And I don’t think the pinto looks that bad, really.

I am really hard on myself sometimes. She’s not horrible, but airbrush’d pinto’s just don’t turn out as well as someone who takes the time to do them right. I quoted the gal next to nothing to do that(I think $50 plus shipping) just because, even though it took a half hour, and I went real slow, it just didn’t turn out. She is kinda cute, but the more I look at her, the most I think she could be something really cool if redone.

what is overspray?

(both dapples look awesome)

gryphondreamer wrote:

what is overspray?

(both dapples look awesome)

On the pinto, all around the markings, there’s little dots, instead of a nice crisp marking.

Patricia
              Participant

I love the dapple gray! Wait…were you the one I was going to commision to do a dapple gray? I have such a bad memory…

While hiding somewhere in my head I'm on the lookout for white oriental dragons! Please let me know if you know of any available. Thank you!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.