fbpx

1980s Windstone Griffin – Identification and Value?

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody 1980s Windstone Griffin – Identification and Value?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Evan B.
    Participant

Hello! I was recently helping my parents sort through their curio cabinet and stumbled upon this. It is clearly Windstone Editions and they know they bought it in the late 80s. Maybe 1989? I was wondering if anyone had more information on it. It has a chip on one of the talons of which I included a picture. Thank you for any and all help! 🙂

Evan B.
      Participant

Oops the full pic wasn’t included. Here it is.

Setsunawolf
        Participant

It’s a brown griffin. He was a atandard production piece.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
          Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
          Sun Dragon Koi #3

Evan B.
          Participant

Thank you for your prompt reply. I don’t know if they would even be interested in selling but it there a place for general values on these? I’m an avid collector, but not of these statues in particular so my familiarity is limited.

Setsunawolf
            Participant

I’m sure one of the other forum members will be able to give a better value than I can. I haven’t been watching eBay for the current value of these guys.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
              Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
              Sun Dragon Koi #3

Kim
              Blocked

I have a brown male Griffin I paid around $100 for without any damage. Prices can vary though. If they have chips or damage like yours they’d maybe go for half that like $50.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

Angelika_Zen
                Participant

I paid $50 USD for one, non-mint.

Even with a bo-bo on his toe, I’m sure he displays beautifully.

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Evan B.
                  Participant

Thanks for your help everyone 🙂

Nightcrow
                    Participant

Adding to what others have said. 🙂 This was a production piece, and it’s the most common version rather than the “stripy” variation that’s harder to find. A mint one would probably go for $100 – $130. The griffins are very prone to damage on their forefeet, though, so it’s hard to find an intact one but there are plenty of damaged ones out there. He could still be worth $50 – $60, depending on how clean he is (caked-on dust, cigarette or other odors would lower the value) and whether there’s more damage (in the photo I see just the toe chip, but I can’t tell if his wings/ears/base are okay).

Editing to add: If you sell him online, make sure you’re familiar with safe Windstone shipping practices. They are very fragile, and should be packed firmly into a box and then that box should be nested inside another box, fully cushioned on all sides. It generally costs $20-50 just to ship a piece of this size safely (depending, of course, on the distance involved), so be aware of this if you’re thinking of offering him in the Classifieds here or on Ebay!

Interested in buying or trading for: GB Pebble Sitting Red Fox in dark grey, Lap Dragon Test Paints (Water Sprite, Glacial Pearl, Opulence, Pastel Rainbow, and many others - see my Classifieds ad), Blue Morpho OW, GB Pebble Loaf dragons in blue/aqua/teal, and Griffin Test Paints (Black Rainbow or Frosted Jade).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.