fbpx

WTF! There's no nuts in my Rocky Road ice cream!

Home Forums Miscellany Community WTF! There's no nuts in my Rocky Road ice cream!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Greater Basilisk wrote:

$1500 for a dog? Wow, Ruffian – respectable. I got Beretta for the price of the vet putting an ID chip in her.

If I am not able to show and compeate in obediance and possibly carting I will go to the SPCA and adopt a dog. But I really want another show dog.

Skigod377
    Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Didn’t your ex watch any sports himself, Ski?

None at all!!! His only hobby was drinking and kareoke.(Sp)

Maria
      Participant

I guess show dogs cost a lot of money. But can’t you even get a cheap puppy with no training? I’d think the training is what makes them so expensive.

Skigod377
        Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I guess show dogs cost a lot of money. But can’t you even get a cheap puppy with no training? I’d think the training is what makes them so expensive.

I think my next dogs will be adopted, but having a pure bred is kinda cool. You should see the looks I get when I walk my pair.

I think its actually the pedigree that makes them expensive. The better conformation and disposition of the parents, the more expensive the puppy. Thats why puppy mills are frowned on. They breed with no thought to improving the breed…they are just in it for the money.

Maria
          Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

And I’m sure the two combined sounded wonderful. 🙄

Maria
            Participant

skigod377 wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

I think my next dogs will be adopted, but having a pure bred is kinda cool. You should see the looks I get when I walk my pair.

I think its actually the pedigree that makes them expensive. The better conformation and disposition of the parents, the more expensive the puppy. Thats why puppy mills are frowned on. They breed with no thought to improving the breed…they are just in it for the money.

Is it required that show dogs have a pedigree? (I know, that’s probably a stupid question. 🙂 )
              Retta’s three quarters purebred, and that’s good enough for me. I prefer mixed bred dogs anyway, because with the purebreds, the purer they are the more health problems they have. Their immune systems lose more ability to defend against weakness and disease with every new purebred generation. Just look at German shepherds and collies and labradors. They get really weak legs and backs, and it’s so awful to see a dog who can’t walk anymore.

skigod377 wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

There are many factors that go into the cost of a show dog, training is sometimes one of them. I want a Bouvier Des Flanders, she will be docked and cropped, both before she leaves the breeder, add that in to the cost. The breeders I am looking at have 5 year health guarentees, they guarantee that the dog will not have any congenital health problems, for at least 5 years, pretty much anything will show up before then. They also guarantee that the dog is a good representative of the breed and will infact win at dog shows. The dogs parents have also been tested 5 ways from sunday for anything they can test for to help produce healthy pups. The breeder will also be there anytime I need to ask a question, will help me find an appropriate sire when/if I need as well. It is something I do truly enjoy and can not wait until I can get back in the ring. The only downside to a new puppy, is that it means my dogs have passed on, I know it is going to happen someday and know myself well enough to know that I had better have a puppy lined up to prevent myself from getting one from an unsavory place.

Maria
              Participant

Puh, what a lot of work and paper. Makes me feel very blessed to have little uncomplicated Retta. But if that’s what you end up doing, Ruffian, I hope it all goes smoothly.

Skigod377
                Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

skigod377 wrote:

Greater Basilisk wrote:

And I’m sure the two combined sounded wonderful. 🙄

Actually, he really can sing! He should have been a star or a model or something. He is ridiculously good looking… But as the saying goes, “No matter how good she/he looks, someone, somewhere, is tired of putting up with their Sh*t!”

Maria
                  Participant

At least he had the asset of good looks and agood voice. Did he ever end up putting them to any use?

Skigod377
                    Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

At least he had the asset of good looks and agood voice. Did he ever end up putting them to any use?

Not really. Only at the bars. He doesn’t sleep around alot, so he just gets drooled over on a regular basis. Esp after he sings…. The girls love him.

Bob

Ski congrats on landing a Hunk.
                        If I ever get another dog it woudld have to be a Basenji. We had one for 15 years and they are GREAT dogs. They are an ancient Egyptian hunting dog and barkless

Skigod377
                        Participant

Dragon Master wrote:

If I ever get another dog it woudld have to be a Basenji. We had one for 15 years and they are GREAT dogs. They are an ancient Egyptian hunting dog and barkless

Ahhh…barkless. How nice would that be? Actually, my dogs dont bark too much. I lucked out. The dogs you have now are really beautiful, DM.

Bob

skigod377 wrote:

Dragon Master wrote:

Ahhh…barkless. How nice would that be? Actually, my dogs dont bark too much. I lucked out. The dogs you have now are really beautiful, DM.
                            ??? I have cats now not dogs.

If you look up Basenji’s they are small dogs about 16″ at the shoulder and very clean, sleek dogs. We had her for 15 years before she passed and we only heard her bark twice to my memory. They do what they call yoddle. If we left for the day and let her in the house after we go home she would run from person to person to say hi then cuss us out for leaving her. It’s hard to describe what it sounds like

Skigod377
                            Participant

Who the heck was it that posted the pics of the two dogs?? They looked kinda like akitas? Dang…now I gotta find that topic. I coulda swore it was you who posted the pics…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.