fbpx

Windstone Graveyard

Home Forums Windstone Editions Ask Melody Windstone Graveyard

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Elena
    Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Augh– sparkle*anythings… D: D: D:

Here’s a few questions for the community, and I realize that I can be shooting my own foot here but it is something I think about often.
      At what point is the saturation of ‘special pieces’ floating around out there greater than regular production pieces being made? I’m not talking about the Golden Days where there were thousands and thousands of a given sculpt being produced (ahem, peacock). At what point are ‘special’ pieces less special and devalued because there are so many? Does anyone care or is the allure of having a special piece outweigh that? Is it less special to you, if say… there are a bunch of other pieces out there with close coloration to yours? How much does the monetary value and investment matter to you– do you get dismayed when the resale value goes down or even plummets if similar pieces are made (black gold Old Warriors come to mind)?

hmm…
      A valid point

For me, while I am a collector, I tend to buy my windstones because I like the particular sculpt or color, not because expect the value to go up and am buying for ‘investment’ purposes. I don’t really pay attention to what the piece could be at resale. Now mostly this is because I have no intention of selling my pieces, but if I were reselling I would have to realize that buying an item to make money is a gamble. There is no guarantee that the price will increase. This is true whether you are investing in windstones, realestate, stock etc.

As for saturation… Well If I recall correctly, there has been no repeated ‘special’ color and runs of a particular color no longer that 24. I also seem to recall that Windstone was useing the ‘special’ pieces to get over the hump of moving the opertaion up to Corvallis. Since it has taken longer than anticipated to get things up and running again, I see the special pieces as a way of keeping the buiness afloat and keeping their name out there so people don’t forget about them. I would also anticipate that once things are up and running again the proliferation of special pieces will go down as every one shifts into keeping up with the regular production orders.
      On another note, I would hope/assume that Windstone is keeping records of the types of special pieces, dates availble, quantiy made, signed/not signed, reason for the special run, etc. for future reference and to know exactly what, in what quantity is out there.

For grab bags, perhaps using a PYO painted up in a ‘production’ color or using a production piece that you allow a painter to have free reign with, barring production colors and slight variations? As well as throwing the caveat of ‘possibly’ becoming a production color as well as marking the pad. Maybe add or retract something from the sculpt like no jewels or carve a something into the signature or sculpt itself? Make a detailed record or the piece that goes up. In the end you can only take precautions. You can’t predict what someone is going to do months or years down the road

I think that the people who would be bidding on a ‘grab bag’ item from Windstone would be those who truly love Melody’s work an want a chance at owning one of her sculptures, not those who are looking to turn it around for profit

Just my pennies worth :shrug:

etruscan
      Participant

Jennifer wrote:

Pam Thompson wrote:

Quote:

At what point are ‘special’ pieces less special and devalued because there are so many?

Well, Windstone DEFINITELY cares.
        Unfortunately we do have to make a living, so we have to try keeping things in high demand.

Oh I never meant to imply that Windstone does not care. By anyone I meant the collectors that buy these! I know that you guys do care! And I know all about having to make a living.. trust me.
        Hopefully casting can be resolved sometime.. soonish, so that you guys can make regular production pieces… well.. regularly! And won’t need to depend on special pieces so much.

I was just asking the collectors, is all.

Is casting still a problem? I read an earlier thread about how the problem is not the water, and is not the supplier, and then I thought the casting problems were resolved, or at least better. If the problem is continuing, could it be mechanical? Maybe a new mixer that is a bit faster – or “controller creep” on an old mixer. Tiny air bubbles in the sculpts (which I gathered is the problem) sounds like air being incorporated during mixing to me. 😕

Jennifer
        Keymaster

My questions were not those related to profit– as in reselling them*. Buying any art as investment for resale is tricky and risky at best! I was more concerned about the loving collector that spends $x,xxx.xx dollars on a special piece, only later to find that many other pieces of substantial similarity are made and perhaps for far less money (the likelihood of this tends to go up as the number of ‘special’ pieces goes up). Now this is a risk– it says so in each auction so it’s not ever a surprise. Even though it is a risk, does that thought bother anyone? Does it matter? Should it?

These questions are just ones I am curious about … how do the collectors feel?

* Right now I don’t think many people at all are doing this; the economy and collector base just isn’t supporting it the way it used to a few years ago.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
          My art: featherdust.com

bayoudragon
          Participant

I agree with ghostdragon and foxfeather. If I like a piece, I’ll weigh the pros and cons on how much I am willing to spend (which unfortunately, isn’t as much as others). I guess it’s the collectors who DO have all the money that need to be answering this question. LOL! 😆

What you pay is what you pay. Who wants the piece the most (and can afford it). Those who get the first ones in a series do not have to worry about whether Mel makes any more. I consider it reassurance. For instance, I have been waiting for another nautilus poad, because at the time, I really couldn’t justify spending any money on luxuries (I believe it was close to Christmas if I remember correctly). Well, holding out left me empty-handed. I have seen no others. That’s the chance you take. 🙄

If I spend twice as much on a Windstone compared to everyone else after me, then so be it. At least I know I have the one I wanted. 🙂

Rachel
            Participant

Jennifer wrote:

My questions were not those related to profit– as in reselling them*. Buying any art as investment for resale is tricky and risky at best! I was more concerned about the loving collector that spends $x,xxx.xx dollars on a special piece, only later to find that many other pieces of substantial similarity are made and perhaps for far less money (the likelihood of this tends to go up as the number of ‘special’ pieces goes up). Now this is a risk– it says so in each auction so it’s not ever a surprise. Even though it is a risk, does that thought bother anyone? Does it matter? Should it?

* Right now I don’t think many people at all are doing this; the economy and collector base just isn’t supporting it the way it used to a few years ago.

Again, for me, I don’t care whether other people have something similar. If I paid a crapload for something I wanted, then that was a decision I made based on how much I wanted it and whether I could afford it. Therefore, the cost and rarity doesn’t matter to me. That being said, more common pieces are more affordable, so that’s what I have. If I could ever afford the ‘special’ ones, I’d buy them. I won’t be justifying it based on rarity because I won’t have other obligations for the money I’d be spending. Others may feel differently, though.

Jennifer
              Keymaster

Thanks for your answers! 🙂 I think the general attitude toward collecting Windstones has shifted a little since the forum started. I remember a few folks getting very upset about these issues! Not that I am saying it’s bad or good.. I was just curious how you guys thought of these things. 🙂

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                My art: featherdust.com

Pam

So, does that mean we can have LP black grand unis??? Please? 😀

PurpleTurtle
                  Participant

Pam Thompson wrote:

Oooo! I’d love to see those as LP 😉 .

Kujacker
                    Participant

I also agree about the price points. Windstone states that it is ALWAYS a possibility that the color/sculpt could be a production piece. That’s the risk. If you’re willing to pay for it because you want it, then so be it, even if it comes out later as a production color. Besides, that original one will be the only signed one with a coa, so even if the color is the same, it will still be “a little more special” (if that makes sense).

Rachel
                      Participant

Kujacker wrote:

I also agree about the price points. Windstone states that it is ALWAYS a possibility that the color/sculpt could be a production piece. That’s the risk. If you’re willing to pay for it because you want it, then so be it, even if it comes out later as a production color. Besides, that original one will be the only signed one with a coa, so even if the color is the same, it will still be “a little more special” (if that makes sense).

Makes sense to me.

Jennifer wrote:

Is it less special to you, if say… there are a bunch of other pieces out there with close coloration to yours? How much does the monetary value and investment matter to you– do you get dismayed when the resale value goes down or even plummets if similar pieces are made (black gold Old Warriors come to mind)?

I never have money so the second question doesn’t really apply (I got the ones I have now from yard sales and swap meets anyway.) but no, I don’t think my peacock dragons (even if a little dinged) are any less special than if someone else has something similar to mine. Not to mention that aren’t ALL windstones special anyway? I HIGHLY doubt that another peacock dragon has any less ‘midnight blue’ coloring than the ones I have (they’re all pretty dark) or if someone else’s sculpt is completely identical. It’s all different because of the variety of painters and whether the airbrush wants to be nice today. So there isn’t any contest.

I’m sorry to spark this much debate…. 😳

Pegasi1978
                        Participant

purpleturtle wrote:

Pam Thompson wrote:

Oooo! I’d love to see those as LP 😉 .

squeek* squeek* squeek* Please!!!!

Lokie
                          Participant

Maybe I’m being forgetful, but there really haven’t been that many Ebay color schemes released as LP. At least, not in comparison to how many new ones are being released every week on Ebay. Sure, we squeek* and make “Ask Melody” threads for A, and Melody says “maybe”, but then B pops up on Ebay and we are squeek* ing for that. And so on and so on, with A, B, and C not being released as LP in the meantime. I think anyone not bidding on a piece they like (funds allowing) in the hopes it will be LP will probably end up disappointed.

And although I haven’t a clue what Windstones business plan is going forward, I wouldn’t be surprised if in the future LP and Ebay pieces are what makes up the majority of member’s collections. So in my mind, I don’t know if I think of Ebay pieces as being “special” just because they are Ebay pieces. Just my opinion, though.

drag0nfeathers
                            Participant

KoishiiKitty wrote:

Here is an example of a ‘Sparkle’ dragon coloring style, for those that may be unfamilier with the sparkle reference 😆 > http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/092/d/7/d7afbc103a9107f1663c831574860bfa.jpg (that might be a bit extreme of an example, but it gives the idea)

I don’t care what you guys say 😛 I would be SO ON BOARD with this! 😆

Got a busted Windstone?
                              drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                              *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                              Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                              Siphlophis Male Dragon
                              Calypso Hatching Empress
                              Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                              Tattoo Mother Kirin
                              Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                              Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                              Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                              Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                              Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                              Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

WolfenMachine
                              Participant

Jennifer wrote:

While reading this thread, I didnt ever think about this. Although The Nam presents a totally valid point. I think after hearing this, maybe the “grab bag” idea is a bad one. If there are minor casting defects, stick to Copper Patina and raffle prizes. I feel sorry for folks that did shell out $1,000 or close to that for a BG OW and now anyone can get one for $260 when they get restocked. I got a color of cats candle lamp and I think I paid close to $280 for it, and now there are colored trio of cats candle lamps that are even cuter, and I am having a hard time selling my “special” ebay piece for anything close to what I paid for it. But at the time, it was one of a few painted stone pieces-and I like the idea of the painted stone.

So…no grab bags. Windstone produces (in my opinion) THE nicest, prettiest dragons, unicorns, cats and griffins out there. Lets keep it this way 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.