Why to keep the boxes…

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Why to keep the boxes…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Tyrrlin
    Participant

As some of you know, I’m moving (again) and came back to Iowa early in order to pre-pack some items… most notably, my Windstones. Some people used to ask me why I keep original boxes for… well, most of my stuff. THIS is why.

Yeah, they’re not really all that happy, but once they get boxed into a second moving box, they should be very secure. (Except for madame Secret Keeper, as she is already double-boxed. Maybe they’ll triple box her, I dunno.) The highest point of that pile is over four feet tall. Those are JUST Windstones, too. My other gryphon statues were taken out of the way to snap this pic.

How many of you also have kept the original boxes? Have you needed them? (This is move #4 for at least two of the pieces in that pile).
      😳

EDIT: I JUST realized I need to add five more PYO griffin boxes to that total… forgot I had ’em in the back of the closet. Gah. Can you mentally add ’em, peeps? They’re the same as the rear column to the left (next to the door frame)… just add five more boxes. πŸ˜›

Windstone collector in remission. πŸ˜‰

Tyrrlin
      Participant

Windstone collector in remission. πŸ˜‰

Anonymous

I have kept my boxes too…. My hubby thinks im nuts!… But I want My babies safe if they should ever need to be moved! πŸ˜†

Adaneth
          Participant

Love the sound effects! πŸ˜†

Once I joined the Forum I started keeping most of the boxes. But most of mine are Poad boxes or for pyos, not many big sculpts. Someday I hope to move; it will certainly pay off then!

Nicole
            Participant

I have kept my boxes to. Not everyone has a box but mostly everyone. I’m actually getting a little over whelmed by all my boxes so i’m weeding through and seeing if I can bare to be parted from anyone πŸ˜€

siberakh1
              Participant

Yeah, that’s why I have all the original boxes that I have received for Windstones (some never came with their box from previous owners). I second liking the sound effects, especially the collective ‘peeps’. πŸ˜€

megamibabe16
                Participant

I always keep the boxes that any of my figurines, whether they are Windstone or not, come in because those boxes are usually the most optimum for them. It gives them a lot better protection than simply just wrapping them all up and putting them in the same box. Most of the time that results in broken or damaged pieces. Also, it saves me the time of having to locate a box to put them in. Basically I just feel that they are safer in the boxes they came in.

Mmloda
                  Participant

Same here, I keep all my boxes, actually now my hubby refuses to buy windstones at the stores around here unless they come in the original box and I think he thinks i’m nutz too but I guess he just goes with the flow…LOL..iin the begining he used to complain but now he Ok with it… πŸ™‚

Marzena

Megan
                    Participant

I’ve kept all my boxes since joining the forum and figuring out it was probably a good idea. I’ll be moving into my own place someday and will need them then. Also, if I ever need/want to resell they will be safer in the mail this way.

I have a box for every Windstone…One day I will open the door to the room they are in and snap a pic for you (The room is 6x9ft and is over 3/4 full of boxes)…It is a massive undertaking for me to move them all. It takes me atleast 3 days straight and atleast 8 hours a day to pack them all up…Without dusting. With dusting it takes about 6 days. I hate it more than anything. It took me 4 trips with my 94 Taurus packed to the roof and stuffed trunk to get them here last time, and I have added to since. I need cases with doors! :shout:
                      But, yes, I firmly believe that keeping the boxes is the smartest thing you can do. Even if room is limited. πŸ˜• Not all of my boxes are originals, since some I got from Ebay did not come with them, but all the ones who came with them still have them. πŸ˜€
                      I have moved 14 times since I got my first Windstone…*sigh* πŸ™

Stephanie
                      Participant

I don’t have a lot but I have every box they were shipped in! πŸ™‚ Even my breyer boxes I keep. πŸ™‚

Pegasi1978
                        Participant

It was a natural thing for me to keep the boxes my Windstones came in, as my parents had kept the boxes to other collectibles I had growing up. It just made sense to have them in case you have to move. I packed the pieces in their boxes, the movers put those boxes inside another box (a dish barrel box if I remember right). When I unpacked the pieces, I put the boxes back in the dish barrels which is now stored in the attic. I think between my windstones and my other collectibles I’m up to three dish barrels now. I’ve needed those boxes for several moves now (at least four moves for most of them, more for others that are older or were kept with me while the rest of the collections was at my parents house).

twindragonsmum
                          Participant

I keep the boxes but break them down so that they lie flat (cut through the packing tape on top and bottom of the box) then I store them under the bed. They dont’ take up much space this way and I have the boxes if I need them for moving πŸ˜€

twindragonsmum πŸ˜€

tdm

twindragonsmum wrote:

I keep the boxes but break them down so that they lie flat (cut through the packing tape on top and bottom of the box) then I store them under the bed. They dont’ take up much space this way and I have the boxes if I need them for moving

On the larger boxes, do you label the fat corrugated inserts with the name of the piece so you can match them up later? I find that flattening the boxes and stacking them with the inserts doesn’t save enough room to make the awkwardness of having three distinct items per box worth dealing with.

My feeling is that if you have a loft, that’s what it’s for. If you don’t have a loft, hopefully you have a wardrobe or a couch or a dresser that’s against a wall that you can pull out 12 inches to make room for stacking boxes behind. Alternately a fisherman’s net strung across the room above head height may be the way to go. Or stack the boxes in the shape of a bench and throw a rug over them.

Or, better yet, invest in a set of bunk beds, remove the bottom bed from the frame and throw it out, and just use the top one. That way you can easily stack all your boxes under your bed.

Jasmine
                            Participant

The Castle [Dave wrote:

On the larger boxes, do you label the fat corrugated inserts with the name of the piece so you can match them up later? I find that flattening the boxes and stacking them with the inserts doesn’t save enough room to make the awkwardness of having three distinct items per box worth dealing with.

My feeling is that if you have a loft, that’s what it’s for. If you don’t have a loft, hopefully you have a wardrobe or a couch or a dresser that’s against a wall that you can pull out 12 inches to make room for stacking boxes behind. Alternately a fisherman’s net strung across the room above head height may be the way to go. Or stack the boxes in the shape of a bench and throw a rug over them.

Or, better yet, invest in a set of bunk beds, remove the bottom bed from the frame and throw it out, and just use the top one. That way you can easily stack all your boxes under your bed.

Great ideas Dave!! πŸ˜€ I keep all the boxes with inserts. Those I try to fit into our crawl space. The rest I usually recycle when I have a bunch. The area behind the sofa is stuffed with boxes, time for a recycling run. The next time we move, the Windstones will be moved by me and hubby. The movers won’t be allowed to touch them, not after the way the last bunch damaged our bed frame and our office desk.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.