fbpx

When does Christmas start for you?

Home Forums Miscellany Community When does Christmas start for you?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Maria
    Participant

Now that Thanksgiving is over and Advent starts next Sunday, I’m curious. When and how do you get ready for Christmas? What decorations do you put up, if any? What style? When do you start? And what do you plan for Christmas?
      (Everybody is welcome to answer. Star just said we needed a new topic in wolflodge’s forum. πŸ˜› )
      I’ve added a poll, just for fun. I’m sure I don’t have all the options down. I decorate in classic gold, red and green with lots of wood and branches.

Maria
      Participant

Skigod377
        Participant

I usually start right after Thanksgiving. We will probably put up the tree this weekend. πŸ™‚ How about trees?? Real or fake? I have used real since the basement fire a couple years back. Fake trees burn suprisingly well.

dragonmedley
          Participant

I voted classical because that’s the closest. I have a bunch of decoration accumulated over the years; some classic, some not.

Real tree, always.

I don’t want to hear about decorating before December! It means that this weekend, Chinook will start nagging me… “So, mom, when are we going to get the tree? Huh? Huh? Moooooom?”

Now Christmas shopping, that’s another story. I’m almost done!

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
            I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
            http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Jodi
            Participant

Growing up, we always put the tree up Thanksgiving weekend. And I did that when I lived alone too. But my hubby doesn’t want it up that early, so we wait a couple weeks now. We usually leave the tree up until Twelfth Night (January 6th), so we get plenty of time with it. We have a fake tree.

Maria
              Participant

Mom gets our Christmas decorations up over the course of the week after Thanksgiving, with the exception of the tree. We always have a real tree in the living room, and we buy it from our local market, which only opens two weeks before Christmas, so that’s when we get our tree.
                My tree is fake and I decorated it on Saturday.

My room is in red, green and gold, but I put blue and silver over my door because it matches the posters better. πŸ˜›

Pegasi1978
                Participant

Classic is the closet to how we decorate at my house. All my husband and I really do right now is an artificial tree with decorations. Hubby grew up without trees in the house because of large dogs and I grew up with artificial, so that’s what we use. My parents used the same artifical tree for nearly 40 years. They only replaced it last year with a new artifical tree. My mother-in-law normally has a room dedicated to a Christmas village, but she hasn’t had the time or energy to put it up this year.

Jasmine
                  Participant

We do an artificial tree, it’s only about 4 feet tall. Anything bigger and I’m afraid my cats will try and climb it. My bf collects Marvin the Martian stuff so we have quite a lot of Marvin ornaments. No tinsel on the tree, again cats. We do put up garlands around the windows and we finally bought a wreath for our front door, we had to go out and find the door hook since we can’t put nails in the doors according to our condo regs.

And we spend far too much money in presents. Mostly for each other. Every year, we say we should cut down but then we find just one more something else that would be perfect…that happens about 5-10 times after we say we’re finished. πŸ˜†

littleironhorse
                    Participant

Well, Thanksgiving is celebrated in October in Canada, so the situation is a bit different. I do usually put up decorations and the tree on the Week End closest to November 25th because that’s a month to Christmas and it feels right πŸ˜€

Classical green, red and gold decorations, but artificial tree. I leave it up for about 5-6 weeks and a natural tree just wouldn’t last this long.

I’m late this year though, the tree’s not up yet and the shopping is only about halfway done! πŸ˜•

lamortefille
                      Participant

I voted classic…I guess that’s the closest. We get a live tree about 3 weeks before Christmas. I like unique ornaments and don’t have many duplicates. I have so many that I have to rotate them from year to year. πŸ™„ My Mom likes a themed look (all orns. the same) so she gave my sister and I all of our childhood ornaments.

All of us are fans of Rudolph, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Charlie Brown Christmas, etc. Little by little we are collecting those figures and displaying them. That’s about the only decorating I do, except for maybe a wreath on the door.

twindragonsmum
                        Participant

I guess mostly we are traditional with our decorating. Nothing goes up until after the 29th of November. That’s because our twins b-day is 29 Nov. and we want to make sure they have their own special day and not get it mixed up with Christmas; ‘tho this year they are pushing hard to set up the tree early…

twindragonsmum

tdm

wolflodge100
                          Participant

I decorated the store on Friday. I don’t really decorate my house any more, no room! Sometimes I put up a christmas tree outside. I also get a small tabletop tree to put up at my neighbors house, real of course so I can smell it! I have tons of decorations in storage. Someday I will get to put them up again.

Starbreeze
                            Participant

Unthemed is probably the best description for me. We have an artifical tree, which will go up next weekend. The tree ornaments range from traditional glass balls to Star Wars and Star Trek ornaments. I also have a number of Breyer Christmas horses that I put on display. Add Christmas angels, snowmen, Christmas Beanie babies, and Christmas art made by my son in school and you get quite a hodge-podge. πŸ˜†

We were busy this weekend. We put up the tree, a 6 foot artifical prelit one, oh I love it! No more wrapping lights around it!

Then I redid all the ornaments with ribbons instead of hooks, safer for everyone, especially the resident diabetic who can’t feel his feet. I figure he really doesn’t need to be stepping on any stray hooks, and my 18 month old daughter doesn’t need to be trying to eat them!

We also put up the wreath, and matching garland. Put lights in the windows, and hung icicle lights on the outside of the house. We also added battery powered lights to the mailbox! LOL! Roommate’s idea, he loves lights.

We’re not quite done, we’re going to try to put more lights on the front of the house this coming weekend, we’ll have to see.

Kyrin

Lupin
                              Participant

Never before December 1st!! Often the week before Christmas eve, or on said day, however it also doesn’t end until Old Christmas Day on January 7th. I’m slightly old school……… πŸ™„

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.