What to do when the cuteness no longer outweighs the behavior

Home Forums Miscellany Community What to do when the cuteness no longer outweighs the behavior

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Angelika_Zen
    Participant

My posts keep disappearing ?!

Things are getting better all the time. The dominance issue with the toys/bones has morphed and the pup is more interested in playing tug-o-war than he is in stealing Hank’s stuff for himself, which is a lot less annoying.

Having said that, I dont think the puppy is done trying to assert dominance over my old boy. When we’re out for our daily hike, Hudson is all over Hank. Nipping at his sides, biting his tail, jumping at him/on him…Hudson spends most of the time walking sideways in front of Hank, and doesn’t let him go by. He’s like that annoying dog from the old cartoons “hey spike!? Hey spike!? Bounce, bounce, bounce” Sometimes I cant tell if Hank is chasing him because he’s had it or if he’s playing with him. Im 99% sure he’s not playing. The puppy is faster and more agile and I THINK he wants to be chased. Once Hank starts running after him, Hudson just dekes him out and gets a tail-bite in before running the other way. Its been good exercise for the old guy, but Im wondering if its healthy play. We have to distract Hudson by throwing sticks. He forgets about Hank for 30 seconds, drops the stick, so we throw another one. And around and around we go with this.

IMG_0779-2

It’s not always like that; they do love each other…some of the time 😉

IMG_0782-2

Check out my gallery ** PYO Windstones for sale **
    Wanted: "Dragon Fruit #1" Male Dragon

sherry10151982
    Participant

You sure do have a handful with that puppy of yours!! I think with all the excitement of going for a hike, Hudson is wanting to play and be annoying. I also think he senses that he’s younger and may feel that urge to take over. It’s good that you’re interfering and making sure that you’re the pack leader. That last picture is so freaking cute!!!

Angelika_Zen
    Participant

I should correct my last post. The second paragraph was supposed to say “I STILL think the pup is trying to assert dominance…”. Now it makes more sense lol!!

Yes, I have my hands full for a couple of hours every day…he is a Dane, and still a baby, so there’s a lot of sleeping going on during the day.

You should see what the puppy does when Hank takes one of his toys, or bone, or stick…he has a tantrum like a toddler!!!! His bark changes and everything. You can see that he’s having a fit! I have to laugh. He does the same thing if they’re horsing around and Hank nips the puppy’s ear or something, the puppy gets mad at him, and its almost like he’s telling Hank off.

Bodine
    Participant

Hahaha,he wants to play Ang..I have raised lots of dogs and the more you talk about his behavior the more I am convinced “most”of his behavior is trying to get Hank to play.Think about it,his age,he isn’t feeling “male so to speak”yet,he is young.He is however acting like a bored puppy trying to get Hank to play.He doesn’t understand Hank is old and doesn’t have to energy of a child.He is teasing him to get a reaction.Remember the Fox and the Hound,how the puppy would mess with the old dog to get him to play?I believe it is the same thing. Imagine him as a little dog,stealing toys,wanting to be chased,etc..I think you will see him becoming dominant first at feeding time.I could be wrong but be patient,remember he is a young teen right now.Full of life and gets bored easily.Just my opinion but let him be a pup, that’s what he is,just a HUGE one.Keep up the training, don’t let up,just remember he is a puppy.They will be fine.

May this New Year be the best year of our lives!
    (Wanted-safari (pref.tiger) baby unicorn)

sherry10151982
    Participant

That is so freaking cute!! They’re such toddlers!!! Mine is the same way with his foster sister…he has a fit when she has a toy he wants! Since they’re both around the same age around a year old they’re equally matched as to physical level. They’ll spar and nip at each other and bark at each other; it’s really comical

Angelika_Zen
    Participant

Hahaha,he wants to play Ang..I have raised lots of dogs and the more you talk about his behavior the more I am convinced “most”of his behavior is trying to get Hank to play.Think about it,his age,he isn’t feeling “male so to speak”yet,he is young.He is however acting like a bored puppy trying to get Hank to play.He doesn’t understand Hank is old and doesn’t have to energy of a child.He is teasing him to get a reaction.Remember the Fox and the Hound,how the puppy would mess with the old dog to get him to play?I believe it is the same thing. Imagine him as a little dog,stealing toys,wanting to be chased,etc..I think you will see him becoming dominant first at feeding time.I could be wrong but be patient,remember he is a young teen right now.Full of life and gets bored easily.Just my opinion but let him be a pup, that’s what he is,just a HUGE one.Keep up the training, don’t let up,just remember he is a puppy.They will be fine.

[/

Luckily he hasn’t shown any aggression in the feeding department. They eat at the same time, in different parts of the house. When they’re both done eating, Hudson comes out and licks Hank’s bowl lol!

Angelika_Zen
    Participant

That is so freaking cute!! They’re such toddlers!!! Mine is the same way with his foster sister…he has a fit when she has a toy he wants! Since they’re both around the same age around a year old they’re equally matched as to physical level. They’ll spar and nip at each other and bark at each other; it’s really comical

That’s hilarious and sounds familiar!!! Lol!!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.