fbpx

What to do when the cuteness no longer outweighs the behavior

Home Forums Miscellany Community What to do when the cuteness no longer outweighs the behavior

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Angelika_Zen
    Participant

Hi guys! I thought I would check with y’all about my little annoying K9 problem…our puppy (Hudson) just hit 6 months, and I feel if he were human, this would be the “terrible twos”. He started into this thing were he wants whatever our 9 years old dog (Hank) has, and does not let up about it. Scenario is, they each get a bone. Hudson isnt interested in the one I gave him, he wants Hank’s. He barks and whines, and does this high pitch howl that makes your ears bleed, and just won’t leave Hank alone. Hank either barks back, and they bark back and forth at each other, or Hank walks away, leaving his bone behind. Now Hudson has both and is quiet and content. If Hank doesn’t walk away annoyed, I swap the bones out, giving Hank Hudson’s and vice versa, but that doesn’t work. Hudson just wants what Hank has, and would rather he have nothing. I can easily separate them, but I would rather work on Hudson’s manners, than tuck the problem away in another room. Same with their toys…Hudson plays with his for a while, then like clockwork, he stops, looks over at Hank, and if Hank is playing with something of his own, that’s it! It’s the bones all over again. I would really like to break Hudson of this habit.

Any advice anyone?

IMG_0771

IMG_0772

IMG_0773

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Bodine
      Participant

Oh boy!🤪 Watch lots of videos about behavior,get pointers from them and work up a strong system for y’all.Stick with it and don’t wait,just like a two year old.Much luck😊

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
        (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
        Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Angelika_Zen
        Participant

I checked around for things like sharing and hoarding, because he seems to have an issue with both. He has never shown aggression thankfully.

When they first get the toy or bone, things are fine. They’re both focused on their own thing. When Hudson starts barking at Hank, I take the treat away and usually separate their pillows to put a little distance between them, and I wait. Once Hudson is no longer focused on Hank’s stuff, I give the treat back. And around an’ around we go.

Wanted: "Dragon Fruit" Male Dragon ~ "Fire Berry", "Paradise", "Dragon Fruit", "Tie Dye" ~ The brighter, the better!

Bodine
          Participant

Hahahahaha,such fun!🤣

Natasha
            Participant

Oh yes, this is Muenster and Tormund, too. It HAS settled down a bit but it’s incredibly annoying. Muenster is always a whiny shrill little bitch when Tormund has a toy/bone. I was lucky in that Tormund is very patient but will show Muenster his teeth about four or five times, then run him off. He doesn’t hurt him at all, he just rushes him and then Muenster then goes back to his bone. The only thing I’ve found that helps is just letting them work it out. The dog world isn’t “fair” and it’s ok to let your dogs have a pecking order as long as they know they are both your subordinates. I’ll also distract Muenster by throwing a ball when he’s fixated on Tormund’s bone. That way he gets tired out and is less of a Shrill whiny bitch 😂

Seeking Test Paints & GBs ! Please get in touch if you'd trade/sell. I'll remove pieces from list by owner request
              ANY Red Eyed Unis
              ANY Test Paint Bat
              UNIS:
              The Purple/Yellow Baby Uni of Awesome
              Male- Snow Leopard TP
              White Lighting Male, Pony, Colt and Grand - I have Mom, Baby, & Young
              Ponycorns: Golden Zebra and/or Spotted Skunk
              Mother: Okapi
              Gothic - Mahogany
              PEGS: Male Midnight Calico, Male Bloodstone, Mother Starlight Rain
              DRAGONS: Male Coyote

sherry10151982
              Participant

Distraction and redirection is always a good idea but can get tiresome for you after awhile; don’t give up. But what Natasha said was really a good point.

Angelika_Zen
                Participant

Oh yes, this is Muenster and Tormund, too. It HAS settled down a bit but it’s incredibly annoying. Muenster is always a whiny shrill little bitch when Tormund has a toy/bone. I was lucky in that Tormund is very patient but will show Muenster his teeth about four or five times, then run him off. He doesn’t hurt him at all, he just rushes him and then Muenster then goes back to his bone. The only thing I’ve found that helps is just letting them work it out. The dog world isn’t “fair” and it’s ok to let your dogs have a pecking order as long as they know they are both your subordinates. I’ll also distract Muenster by throwing a ball when he’s fixated on Tormund’s bone. That way he gets tired out and is less of a Shrill whiny bitch 😂

LMAO!!!! I can see your dogs doing that now, Natasha!!!

I would also use the same words to describe the pup. Its like ARGH!!! You have a bone!!!!! What is your problem! It has gotten super annoying but I am being patient…and persistent. I keep checking online for tips and tricks but it either doesnt apply or just before they tell you their strategies, they tell you to buy the book.

Angelika_Zen
                  Participant

Distraction and redirection is always a good idea but can get tiresome for you after awhile; don’t give up. But what Natasha said was really a good point.

Thanks Sherry. Having the right terminology brought me to more applicable articles online. A lot of the literature wasnt really useful to me because it dealt with aggression.

Thanks guys!

Bodine
                    Participant

YouTube has oodles of videos me the help a bit.
                      When my dogs bicker I remind them who the boss really is and send them to their kennels for a nap.When they get up,squabble all forgotten.Works Everytime.

Kim
                      Blocked

When we had dogs that did this kind of thing we separated them for food and treats with rooms, gates, etc. then gradually brought them closer together with it. Usually the problem one would get over it or grow out of it after a while.

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

sherry10151982
                        Participant

Have you tried kenneling Hudson or Hank? Maybe have bone time in the kennel only or something like that. Just a quick thought.

Setsunawolf
                          Participant

It’s a dominance thing. Your pup is challenging your older dog for his position as number one. Depending on your dogs it can stay this way for ever or it can escalate. Sometimes they work it out between themselves, but that depends on the dog’s personality. I’ve found separating usually works best and keeps it from escalating.
                            I had two German Shepherds who wee little mates. My little girl was always on charge until her much bigger brother realized he was bigger and didn’t have to do what she wanted. I had to separate them afterwards because they never got along after that and tried to kill each other every time they are together. Keep an eye on it, because this behavior can become a major problem if left unmonitored. Always be the Alpha and make sure the dogs know you are in charge, not them.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                            Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                            Sun Dragon Koi #3

Angelika_Zen
                            Participant

Right. Ok this makes sense. Thank you. Since i last posted about this, I’ve felt it was a dominance thing for sure! The pup is bigger than the old guy now, and his growls and barks, and showing of the teeth no longer phase the pup. The pup just “pushes and pushes” his luck until the older one snaps! I’ve also noticed that the older dog has been walking away shortly after the hogging of he bone begins. So before that happens, I take take their bones away and that stops things in their tracks (doesnt seem fair when the older dog has done nothing wrong). It’s not so much that the pup is hoarding as I thought. It’s a dominance thing because the pup started leaving his toy/bone behind, and just wants what the older dog has. I am watching things closely, and if I cant get the pup to stop before the old one leaves or before I take bones away, I will separate them and give them time alone with their bones. At first, I felt that separating them was just tucking the problem in a nice dark corner lol. Made me feel like I wasnt making enough of an effort to correct the problem. I’ll adopt this strategy and see where it takes us. Thanks!!

Setsunawolf
                              Participant

I’ve fostered dogs for years, so I’ve seen a lot of behavior issues with different dogs. Separating isn’t putting ignoring the problem, it’s giving each the dog the space they need and nipping dominance issues in the bud. My husky Macowi gets along great with my in-laws Shepherd except when it comes to chewies. We have to give them chewies in different rooms because they fight over it. It’s the only time they have ever scrapped and we broke it up quick. Other than that they get along great. Remember dogs don’t think like people, they have a pack hierarchy and structure, I’ve always found with issues like that it’s best for me to determine who will get what treat and where. That way I’m in charge as alpha and they still get the treats I want them to have. Separating will also reinforce your position as the boss.

Looking for Blue Fawn Baby Kirin
                                Sanguine Oriental Test Paints, kinglet
                                Sun Dragon Koi #3

Bodine
                                Participant

How’s it going?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.