what kind of spider is this?

Home Forums Miscellany Community what kind of spider is this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

I found this GINORMOUS spider in my bathroom this morning. What kind of spider is it? It had huge fangs… *shudder* Its body was maybe 1/2″ long, around 2″ total.

While I was looking for something to kill it with it ran under the cabinet, so I ended up waking my dad up to spray insecticide all around the cabinet. I don’t need that thing crawling up my leg while I’m trying to piee thankyouverymuch. :negative:

And I had my hand like three inches away from it to take pictures. I’ve never seen a spider quite like this (or this big) before, and I live in NEW MEXICO. O___O;;

big (gross) pics here~
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/PCluvsNaraku/photos/eww1.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/PCluvsNaraku/photos/eww2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/PCluvsNaraku/photos/eww3.jpg

*cringe* I can’t even look at the pics without feeling like throwing up. :puke:

PLEASE DON’T TELL ME THAT THING IS A FRIKKING RECLUSE I WILL CRAP MY PANTS OMG.
    I mean it has some of the same features, but the eyes don’t seem to match the recluse pics I’ve seen?

OTL *cries in a corner*

Rusti
    Participant

Actually…that’s exactly what she looks like…a recluse. I can’t see her back clearly enough, but her body shape is right.

Edit: Could also be just a little brown house spider, after a quick google search.

http://share.triangle.com/node/18513

Kujacker
      Participant

No, that spider isn’t a recluse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recluse_spider
        It’ll take some time, but with enough digging I might be able to find out what type of spider it is.

Yesterday there was a giant crab spider in the house. I love spiders, but seeing as I have three curious (free roaming) ferrets, the idea of having such a large spider that could deliver a very painful bite to such a small animal made me uneasy. I took him off the wall and put him outside.

edit: Like Rusti just pointed out, he very well could be a house spider. Looks very similar, but most photos I get when image searching are so different.
        I found this website http://www.insectidentification.org/ It may help you figure out spiders in the figure! Or any bug for that matter.

Hmm…. it does look quite a bit like the house spider you posted, Rusti. I hope that’s all it was… *shudder*

I have six cats, and if one of them got bit by a recluse my mother would go postal. They love to play with bugs/spiders/centipedes. Eeep… 😮

Kujacker
        Participant

In fact, spiders are the ONLY “safe” bug in my house. If I see insects in the house, I kill them dead. But if it’s a spider, I let them go on their way (or remove them without harming them from the house. I just use my hands, or if it’s a dangerous kind, the cup trick). Speaking of things climbing on you, I once had the biggest wind scorpion/camel spider I’d ever seen on my bed one night. He stopped and stared then charged at me lol (I was sitting on the bed). I thought it was funny. I put him outside after that.

Spiders are actually pretty beneficial to have in a house. Except for the poisonous ones, of course.

*cringe* If I see ANYTHING with more than four legs I either kill it or (usually) get one of my parents to do it. It they’re put outside alive, they’ll just come right back in.

We’ve found several black widows (male and female) outside, but none inside (yet anyway). We’ve had those wind scorpions here too. Gawd, those things are fast. 😮 First time I saw one I was in the bathroom doing my business when this thing came running right at me. I shrieked this long string of swears that would’ve made Eminem cringe and smacked it with a mirror (the only thing in reach). XD;;

I’ve had a couple giant desert centipedes crawling on me too. Once on the back of my neck in the middle of the night, and once under my shirt. I almost had a stroke… I’m completely traumatized for life from those things now. *shivers*

They come in through the spaces around heater pipes down near the floor most times (and that’s where they disappear when they’re too fast to kill). Ugh.

I’m gonna have some serious nightmares tonight, yep. :nea:

Bodine
          Participant

LOL Kujacker,Spiders don’t really spook me either and I live in the country and live with spiders trying to move in on me too but if one charged my butt like that,I wouldn’t have been sitting on that bed very long XD

Every act matters.No matter how small💞
            (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
            Male Hearth....one day🤞Dream on.

Apari
            Participant

Sorry to say, but that looks just like a recluse. (we call them fiddle backs in OK.) this one is very light though. They are usually darker.
              I see them all the time in the house in the summer time, they get huge too!
              I usually don’t kill spiders, especially the little black jumping ones and wolf spiders.

Apari
              Participant

bodine6127 wrote:

LOL Kujacker,Spiders don’t really spook me either and I live in the country and live with spiders trying to move in on me too but if one charged my butt like that,I wouldn’t have been sitting on that bed very long XD

OMG me too… And the camel spider is the creepiest thing on the planet! Google them if you don’t believe me.
                not u paper cut. lol

KoishiiKitty
                Participant

This fella is called Loxosceles deserta.
                  I have seen a few of them here, but this made me look them up.
                  Loxosceles is the Violin Family…but this one is NOT a brown recluse. Although related, the venom is not as dangerouse as his more known brother. His look fits this spider, spindly, eyes are in the right spots, light to white coloring, and soft fur.

I am now going to have to do a house search. We had a few mystery spider bites in the house and I think I saw one of these inside..but I did not kill him.

Like Kujacker, I don’t USUALY kill them if I see them in the house, unless it is something like a Black Widow or Wolfs that I don’t want breeding indoors. We regualarely have Jumping spiders that come in though and hunt the screens and cielings for flies.

KoishiiKitty
                  Participant

Here are some good photos of a few a guy found(as well as other spiders) Don’t look if you are squeemish.
                    http://scabies.myfreeforum.org/sutra6824.php

drag0nfeathers
                    Participant

It does look a bit like a recluse or a violin spider. I’ve had them in my house, but the fanges on the ones around my house have been very reddish in color. siberkh got really up close and personal with one of them while using my bathroom!

Got a busted Windstone?
                      drag0nfeathersdesign@gmail.com
                      *OPEN for repairs*

*SEEKING GRAILS*
                      Arc-en-ciel Emperor
                      Siphlophis Male Dragon
                      Calypso Hatching Empress
                      Ivory Moss Sitting Baby Kirin
                      Tattoo Mother Kirin
                      Emerald Tabby Male Griffin
                      Tie Dye + Orion Hatching Royalty
                      Indigo Rockfish + Flame Tabby Little Rock Dragons
                      Dragon Quail + Obsidian Frost Old Warriors
                      Betta Sun Dragon + Male Dragon
                      Dreamscape, Orion, Poison Dart, Fireberry, Spangler + Tigerberry Dragons

Kujacker
                      Participant

PaperCut wrote:

It they’re put outside alive, they’ll just come right back in.

You make it sound like they’re out to get you lol. I release all spiders right outside my front door, and I never see them again. We even have several tarantulas that live around our house. One even lived inches away from the front door, and they never tried coming inside. … whenever I see one I can’t help myself but pick ’em up for a bit. Love them.
                        My mom did kill one on accident one night, letting my dog outside. He must have been right on the door when she opened it, and when she closed it she caught him 🙁 Didn’t find him until the morning. She felt so horrible about it.

bodine6127 wrote:

I thought it was funny because he seemed to know what he was doing. Staring me down, then charged and tried to get around my butt to the pillow 😆 I had to push him away from the pillow before I was able to capture and release him. Guess he just wanted somewhere cozy to sleep :p

I did have a scorpion charge me in the same manner once too. I was pretty young at that time though. I was on the floor in my room and I saw him come out from under my entertainment center. He didn’t move at first so I just called my parents and then like he knew what I did, he waited for them to come in and started charging at me lol. I wasn’t dumb enough to let a scorpion near me XD That one died, a horrible death of… tennis ball. Yes. My dad picked up the nearest object, one of my dogs tennis balls, and squished him dead.

They are out to get me lol! 😳

Well I haven’t seen the spider again so it’s either dead under the cabinet from the stuff my dad sprayed, or else it found a crack in the wall/floor under there and escaped.

I’ve had random spider bites several times, no idea what bit me or when. I just find them once in a while. Nothing serious anyway…

Gah, all the bug pics I looked at yesterday made me dream about giant centipedes. *flails*

And yeah, those camel spiders are NASTY. Especially the ones that guy found in Irak or wherever… that pic was SO GROSS. Isn’t it actually like two stuck together or something? Ewww.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.