fbpx

Welcome Jim Upton!!

Home Forums Miscellany Introductory and Welcoming Area Welcome Jim Upton!!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Skigod377
    Participant

dragonessjade wrote:

dragonessjade wrote:

Is this one something you did?

http://www.rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/5169/cat/502/page/

It looks simular to a Windstone.

Jim Upton wrote:

You can see some of my work and that of others at http://www.hirods.net There are other forums but they require registration. If you go there, click on gallery and then on my name.

Those are awesome. Have you ever done a pool stick before?The first one Says “Special thanks to Jim Upton for letting me play with the pattern” so I am thinking he didnt actually do that one. I dont think it looks as good as the other one, either. Dont mean to offend. Could just be the color.

And a pool stick would be stellar! Though I dont think I would actually use it πŸ˜†

Jim Upton wrote:

Dragonessjade; No that is a copy of my work. The guy that did that has a friend that made a pattern for him with his computer and flipped the image. After doing two, that one and another, a different pattern, he said he would never do another. He does fish not Dragons. It gave him a new respect for the work I do.

Most weavers want patterns that don’t take too long to complete. Four to eight hours is about all they want. My work takes thirty to ninety hours plus to complete. Many more thread changes and better detail but a lot more time.

Have never done a pool cue but have done golf clubs and never want to do another. Actually if you have ever seen some of the intricate work done on pool cues there might be a place for the weaves but the taper is a lot greater than that on a rod so it might be a bit of a problem unless it was inlet.
      I am glad he gave you respect after he tried it. I wouldn’t think that it would take that long to do something so small…but then again it is long. Do you do the whole rod or just around the handle part? Do you make the rod or just weave on a pre-made rod? I think a custom pool cue would be awesome to have espically done by yourself.. Sorry if I am repeating questions, but on the site it makes you upload Japanese language package.

Ski,
      Thanks for pointing that out…I was just flipping thru pics and I didn’t read. I think I would actually use the pool cue..it would be more advertising for Windstone.

Jodi
      Participant

I’m a bit late getting to this, but welcome to the forum! Your work is amazing!

Dragonessjade; I’m not Ski. He’s the one that copied my work. He stated that he would never do another it takes too long. My pattern has 137 design threads in 7 layers stacked one on top of the other and it takes 180 wraps to complete the pattern. It took him 45 minutes to complete a wrap so it would have taken him about 135 hours to do that weave if he had used my pattern. I don’t know how many wraps his pattern had in it but that should give you an idea.

Yes, I build the whole rod. I don’t make the blanks, reel seats, or the guides but I do often shape the grips both fore and rear, depending on what they are made of.

A pool cue would cost over $3000.00 if I were to put a weave like the Lap Dragon head on it. The dragon head done in flames went to a collector for a little over $2000.00 and will never see the water.

Jim Upton wrote:

Dragonessjade; I’m not Ski. He’s the one that copied my work. He stated that he would never do another it takes too long. My pattern has 137 design threads in 7 layers stacked one on top of the other and it takes 180 wraps to complete the pattern. It took him 45 minutes to complete a wrap so it would have taken him about 135 hours to do that weave if he had used my pattern. I don’t know how many wraps his pattern had in it but that should give you an idea.

Yes, I build the whole rod. I don’t make the blanks, reel seats, or the guides but I do often shape the grips both fore and rear, depending on what they are made of.

A pool cue would cost over $3000.00 if I were to put a weave like the Lap Dragon head on it. The dragon head done in flames went to a collector for a little over $2000.00 and will never see the water.
        Hehe, I know your not Ski….I was answering both posts in one.

But I wouldn’t of imagined that would be possible to do…build the whole rod and then weave a design on it. 😯 A pool cue would cost over $3000? Wow, I guess I wouldn’t use it then and it would hang on the wall. Do most of your rods go to more serious collectors?

emarald212, thanx for the compliment and the welcome.

Dragonessjade; That’s not an unusual price for a top of the line pool cue. Some are truly works of art.

No most of the rods I do are a bit more mundane. More on the order of the picture with three dragon weaves in it. I may do one, like the Dragon head, a year if someone beats me into it. I love doing them but the patterns take almost as long as the weave and they tie up my rod lathe too long.

Usually the weave goes on before the guides, though I can do them after, if I have to but it’s a pain.

Skigod377
        Participant

dragonessjade wrote:

Ski,
          Thanks for pointing that out…I was just flipping thru pics and I didn’t read. I think I would actually use the pool cue..it would be more advertising for Windstone.

You’re welcome πŸ˜‰ Though I now see that he answered the question before I did. He is fast! πŸ˜†

Maria
          Participant

Welcome to the forum! I got to see your artwork on the computer at the factory. Very impressive.

Jim Upton wrote:

emarald212, thanx for the compliment and the welcome.

Dragonessjade; That’s not an unusual price for a top of the line pool cue. Some are truly works of art.

No most of the rods I do are a bit more mundane. More on the order of the picture with three dragon weaves in it. I may do one, like the Dragon head, a year if someone beats me into it. I love doing them but the patterns take almost as long as the weave and they tie up my rod lathe too long.

Usually the weave goes on before the guides, though I can do them after, if I have to but it’s a pain.
            Haha, when I look at them I think $300 is a lot for a pool cue…but when you are talking about art then that is different.

skigod377 wrote:

dragonessjade wrote:

Ski,

You’re welcome πŸ˜‰ Though I now see that he answered the question before I did. He is fast! πŸ˜†
            Yep, it is all good tho. And it is better than not getting a answer at all.

dragonessjade; Go here and you will see some cues that sell for around $20000. Beautiful work.

http://www.samsaracues.com/gallery.php

Jim Upton wrote:

dragonessjade; Go here and you will see some cues that sell for around $20000. Beautiful work.

http://www.samsaracues.com/gallery.php
            Thanks. They are beautiful.

Quote:

“The Eye Of The Tiger” : $18,500.00
            The main body of this cue is snakewood. The Forearm has eight Snakewood points with Ebony Veneers. At the base of these points there is a combination of Twenty ivory, tiger-eye stone, crazy lace stone and ebony inlays. The wrap area has twenty leather, Snakewood and Ivory Inlays. The “Intarsia” design in the Butt Sleeve is made up of Snakewood and Ebony and is called a “Double Fantail”. The Joint Collar and Butt Cap are ivory with eight matching Tiger-Eye stone inlays in each one. The ferrules are Ivory and the Tips are Moori. The Custom Joint Protectors are made of Ebony and Ivory.

Very nice and very expensive. πŸ˜€

Skigod377
            Participant

I dont think I understood a word of that description, but the product is beautiful. πŸ˜†

Haha, it says Veneers…now we have to drink a shot (Off of Frasier).

Go here to learn about Snakewood. http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/snakewood.htm Used for guitars and violin bows etc. We are broadening horizons.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.