fbpx

Update on Oil Spill from The Frontlines

Home Forums Miscellany Community Update on Oil Spill from The Frontlines

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_sc2199
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg-GWb3cjbY

πŸ™

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
      My art: featherdust.com

Skigod377
      Participant

This is just horrible. It came on CNN while we were at lunch yesterday and one of the guys I was eating with said he was tired of hearing about it. I practically jumped down his throat about the impact this is having and will continue to have on the environment and how the people responsible for the issue will probably not face any kind of repercussion that will actually hurt them or require change.

machineguts
        Participant

😑

skigod377 wrote:

This is just horrible. It came on CNN while we were at lunch yesterday and one of the guys I was eating with said he was tired of hearing about it. I practically jumped down his throat about the impact this is having and will continue to have on the environment and how the people responsible for the issue will probably not face any kind of repercussion that will actually hurt them or require change.

Skigod377
          Participant

machineguts wrote:

😑

skigod377 wrote:

Are you yelling at me or just mad at that kind of attitude in general? πŸ˜•

lamortefille
            Participant

It’s sad…the media has already shifted it’s attention elsewhere…at least around here. I have no idea why people are so interested in “fluff” as I call it. Personally, I don’t care about the latest celebrity gossip or the final episode of Lost (that’s just me, though). I guess people want to be entertained and not worry about reality? I realize with the economy and personal financial problems of people being what they are…everybody handles things in their own way…but still… :shrug:

Seeing the pictures of the affected wildlife down there is just heartbreaking. Knowing it will spread further is devastating. πŸ™

machineguts
              Participant

No I’m not yelling at you LOL I was aggravated when I read about the guy saying he was tired of hearing about it. Okay, just keep ignoring your home planet, live in your own world and everything will be hunky-dory. Sadly there are so many people like that in this world who would rather be cynical about our environment (aka home) than to actually care about it.

skigod377 wrote:

machineguts wrote:

😑

skigod377 wrote:

Are you yelling at me or just mad at that kind of attitude in general? πŸ˜•

Bodine
                Participant

Jennifer wrote:

No one is immune to this problem. Even if you don’t live inland, consider what hurricane season will do with the oiled waters. A lot of the moisture that hurricanes rain down, even after they are well inland, come from the Gulf. Even if the well gets completely shut off tomorrow, the lasting problems and implications of this may not even be known for months. This is a really big deal for all of us. πŸ™

YEP!! πŸ‘Ώ ALL of us in the long run….

Every act matters.No matter how smallπŸ’ž
                  (Wanted......Brimstone Lap)
                  Male Hearth....one day🀞Dream on.

keschete
                  Participant

UPDATE!

Starting Saturday, I am supposed to be scheduled to go to Venice and do 8 to 10 hour shifts at the Oiled Bird Center, run by Tri State Bird Rescue. I am scheduled for every Saturday for the next 5 weeks. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive each way, but I am excited that they are finally letting me do so actual hands on rehab work. Yeah! I will post pictures, if they let me take pictures.

Skigod377
                    Participant

machineguts wrote:

Okay, just keep ignoring your home planet, live in your own world and everything will be hunky-dory. Sadly there are so many people like that in this world who would rather be cynical about our environment (aka home) than to actually care about it.

I know, right?? I guess thats what bothered me, too. What? Shall we put on some fluff to entertain you instead? I look at those pics on Yahoo yesterday and they were just awful. I wish I were there to help. πŸ™ Or that I could come up with an idea to clean it up or at least stop the flow.

Thrippa
                      Participant

Maybe you could ship them some sand to dump on the leak. You do have a bit of sand where you are, don’t you?

What bothers me the most right now, is that it seems to me that a solution is on the tip of my tongue… but I can’t seem to find it.

It seems like it’s something I KNOW I heard before, from someone, from somewhere, but I can’t find the answer. And I’m not the only one, a friend of mine (who took classes with me) is getting the same feeling. It’s haunting me…. πŸ™

Anonymous

Those posted pictures made me cry….. it’s horrendous. Here in Illinois, I am so helpless – clearly I can’t do a thing BUT write my senators.

OMG LOOK WHAT WE HAVE DONE.

I don’t know why we haven’t sent monstrous ships to siphon both oil and water into huge vessels. Oil separates from water easy enough during processing. WHY AREN’T THE SHIPS THERE………..WHY did we let it get to land……………

I have visited the gulf waters and was honored to be able to walk along the white beaches collecting seashells. I was amazed to have seen my first real life wild dolphins there, and pelicans……

WHY AREN’T THE SHIPS THERE

:sigh: πŸ™

Jennifer
                          Keymaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1GCnQbIHVY

If you want to help but aren’t close enough to volunteer (I’m not. πŸ™ ) you can try these folks:
                            http://www.ibrrc.org/

I’m going to work on some art to auction/donate.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                            My art: featherdust.com

LadyFirebird
                            Participant

It just breaks my heart every time I see images from this spill. I also get angry, very, very angry 😑 at those responsible. I don’t think some people, who are ‘tired’ of hearing about it, have a clue what this means to our planet. I guess they feel they’re not affected, just some birds and fishermen, so they don’t care. We will all reap the consequences of this spill for many, many years to come. It will hit us no matter where we live. πŸ˜₯ 😑

Kudos to you Jen for working on something to donate/auction off to help. πŸ™‚

machineguts
                              Participant

Hey Jen, where are you going to auction the art to donate? I’d love to do this as well!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.