fbpx

Update on Oil Spill from The Frontlines

Home Forums Miscellany Community Update on Oil Spill from The Frontlines

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    keschete
    Participant

The oil here is now coating Grand Isle and coating areas of Plaquemines and St. Bernard. They are talking about burning the marsh, which is a natural thing that occurs and that might clean the marsh without destroying it. It will also get rid of the oil.

The sad thing is that there is oil on the beach at Grand Isle and the Sheriff called wwl today and reported thet NO ONE is out cleaning it up. No Coast Guard, No BP, No National Guard…but they have the beach blocked off, so citizens can not clean it up either.

People where I live are now getting mad and really upset. People are realizing that a month into this, that the national media is slowing down attention, so they (BP, Coast Guard, Army Corps of Eng) are getting lazy.

I was called by National Fish and Wildlife today and they want me to go sit on a dock in Cocodrie for 8 hours tomorrow. I told them NO! If they need me to go get a bird, help stabilize a bird, help with cleaning a bird….fine, but they have people from all over the US that are at the command station 5 miles from me. They are getting paid. The have National Guard, US Fish and Wildlife agents at the dock and in boats. I want to help and I don’t need to be paid, but I will be damned if they are going to get me to sit in 90 degree weather in nats and mosquitos for 8 hours while they are sitting on their butts in an air conditioned command center and getting paid.

I think the whole BP being in charge of everything is not working too well…the bureaucracy is starting to resemble our federal government!!! God help us! Please pray for us.

The Parish President in Plaquemines said he is going to build berm levees to prevent oil from getting into the marsh. Even if the Federal Government arrests him.

Here is what he said on the radio..

Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser says Coast Guard Commandant Thad Allen had turned thumbs down on the parish’s portion of a state plan to erect sand berms along barrier islands and wetlands to capture oil from the Deepwater Horizon well accident.

Nungesser was not pleased with that decision when he talked with WWL First News Saturday morning.

“They ought to all lose their jobs, because none of them gives a rat’s ass about this marsh,” said Nungesser. “Something stinks here. It was too good of a plan. Everybody was on board and all they did was take four or five days to rip it apart. And, I’m sorry Coast Guard, you got B.S. excuses. There was nothing you told me that’s a reason we don’t have dredges out there pumping today.”

Coast Guard Rear Admiral Mary said the Coast Guard has made no decision on the larger plan, backed by Governor Jindal, to erect the sand barriers.

Instead, she said, the call was aimed at objecting to Nungesser’s plan to immediately move resources being used by the Louisiana National Guard on Grand Isle to start building a barrier elsewhere.

“What we talked to President Nungesser about is maybe we should do a little more work in those smaller scale projects that are proving successful…because you’re constantly evaluating the best way to respond to the spill,” said Landry.

She said the state plan is still under environmental review and no final decision is made. “They are working to evaluate the barrier island proposal and there has not been a decision made on that yet.”

“This is an extensive proposal and has to be evaluated thoroughly for the potential environmental impact and any unintended consequences it might have and whether or not it’s really a pollution response mitigation measure,” Landry said.

It’s been about three weeks since Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal asked the federal government to approve the plan to build sand barriers along the coast to block approaching oil.

The man in charge of the federal response says they are still looking at the application for an emergency permit
      “What we are trying to do now, we’re pretty much in a fact gathering mode regarding the proposal – clarifying that with the Corps of Engineers and the state of Louisiana. Those discussions are ongoing right now,” Coast Guard Commandant Thad Allen said.

Allen says he is already mapping plans to implement the operation if and when any elements of it are approved.

“We are fully engaged with both the state and the Corps of Engineers right now,” he said.

He explained there were outstanding questions about coordianting the proposed project with the efforts to fight the spill.
      “It has to do with how you would deal with oil coming ashore during construction and thing like that,” Allen said..
      Here are some links to some local news stories….

http://www.wwl.com Radio media

http://www.wwltv.com/ TV media

http://www.houmatoday.com/ Newspaper media

keschete
      Participant

keschete
        Participant

GRAND ISLE, La. – Jefferson Parish Emergency managers say they have commandeered all of BP’s hired boats in Grand Isle.

A representative for Jefferson Parish Emergency chief Deano Bonano said they requested immediate action after oil moved into the marsh passes and onto the beaches in Grand Isle.

He said more than 40 boats were sitting idle while he watched the oil rush into the passes.

At around 5:30 p.m., Jefferson Councilman Chris Roberts confirmed the boats have been commandeered by JP emergency managers

At this point you are going to see Cajuns taking matters into their own hands….we may end up succeeding from the Union if this gets worse….

Here are pictures..

This is terrible… horrifying, really. I just stared at that last picture for about 5 minutes. And it’s already been pushed under the rug by the media? AND the people “fixing” things are just sitting around with their heads up their backsides instead of actually working to contain/clear up the oil? Sickening. :puke:

For those of us nowhere near the Gulf Coast and with little money, is there anything we can do to help?

siberakh1
          Participant

This just has my blood boiling. It really is being under reported here. The only place I’m hearing anything close to what is going on is on a 1amEST radio show called ‘Coast to Coast AM’ (which I now have to tape, since I’m driving home at that hour anymore to catch their news at the beginning). They have a local correspondent who has been keeping on top of things, and I generally hear things that don’t get reported for at least a week or two by the national media.

I’m going to post/link to these posts in my facebook and livejournal, if you don’t mind. Maybe by more people knowing about this and getting angry, maybe more noise will make things move faster? People should know what is really going on down there.

Bravo to Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser. I tip my hat to him. :hi: They had a speech on the radio yesterday (the weekly radio address) from Obama and it turned to touching on the disaster down there, to very quickly becoming we can’t forget the families of those who died on the rig, and then to how we need this energy source and that energy source and not depend on foreign energy sources platform. He did exactly what the responding senator from Lousiana I didn’t catch the name) ripped into about in his speech besides the total lack of response from the Feds, politicians are turning it into their own agendas and flowery speeches (aka. all talk, but no action).

keschete
            Participant

Kyrraven wrote:

This is terrible… horrifying, really. I just stared at that last picture for about 5 minutes. And it’s already been pushed under the rug by the media? AND the people “fixing” things are just sitting around with their heads up their backsides instead of actually working to contain/clear up the oil? Sickening. :puke:

For those of us nowhere near the Gulf Coast and with little money, is there anything we can do to help?

The best thing you can do, call your congressperson or senator. That is free and you can tell them what you have seen. Or give them the links to the news agencies down here. Thanks for wanting to help!

keschete
              Participant

siberakh1 wrote:

I’m going to post/link to these posts in my facebook and livejournal, if you don’t mind. Maybe by more people knowing about this and getting angry, maybe more noise will make things move faster? People should know what is really going on down there.

Awesome, the more people who know, the better. That is why I posted the media links and the pictures.

I have to admit, I’m still hearing very little on this oil spill. This effects everyone, no matter where they are, what country they live in, or whether they are landlocked or not. But yet, our local news seems to not care to report it. This is something that should be getting more national (it seems, in the states, from what I’m hearing), and international attention to get it fixed.

This just makes me mad. ๐Ÿ˜ก

Jennifer
                Keymaster

The best thing people can do is educate themselves. The media is downplaying this. Take the facts, do research, then form your opinion.

Here’s some reading.
                  The coming weeks will be very telling of just how bad this is going to be.

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1066057/pg1

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100521/ap_on_re_us/us_gulf_spill_how_big;_ylt=Ap5qiSSxFYrUguAr5wOVm1ys0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTFlNnA2c3NvBHBvcwMxMTcEc2VjA2FjY29yZGlvbl9zY2llbmNlBHNsawNhdHdvcnN0b2lsc3A-

In the end, there is not much you and I can do about the actual leak itself. There is no simple solution, but we should all be riding out politician’s rumps for clean energy. It’s a complicated problem with no single or easy solution but humans have got to get off of their massive oil dependency. ๐Ÿ™ Live in the moment, but don’t actively trash the future, either…

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                  My art: featherdust.com

Purplecat
                  Participant

took a bit of reading, but your first link is the most substantial informative article I’ve read thus far about this mess. Thank you for the post. I posted the link up a couple places myself.

purplecat wrote:

took a bit of reading, but your first link is the most substantial informative article I’ve read thus far about this mess. Thank you for the post. I posted the link up a couple places myself.

I agree with that, the first link was extremely informative. Which is good for someone who didn’t know that much about it in the first place (other then some minor scientific things that I figured out just from my schooling – like the fact that it was a primary well).

This thing is going to keep leaking until the pressure runs out, unless they can figure out SOMETHING to do about it. I don’t know what that is though… and now I’m going to be thinking about it, and it’s going to bother me (well, it already does bother me). Most of the time, they don’t want to try to stop the flow from a pressurized well.

And my opinion is still that I’m angry about the lack of response to this. ๐Ÿ˜ก

I know, I am no scientist, but for Pete’s sake, you drill a hole into the earth…Shouldn’t you know how to plug the damned thing up?!?! :shout: This Gulf thing will affect people all around the world who eat the shrimp from these waters…Not to mention those beautiful birds and fish who eat them too…I think the Dolphins swimming under the film of oil made me the most upset…But the bird trying to get on the side the boat…I really was close to tears. For crying out loud, even that bird knows he can’t make it without help of the people he most likely avoids on a normal day. This is so saddening and maddening at the same time. And WTF is the government doing? I wish I got paid that much for sitting on my thumb!!! ๐Ÿ˜ก

This type of thing makes me think of Bruce Willis in Armageddon…
                    Harry Stamper: What’s your contingency plan?
                    Truman: Contingency plan?
                    Harry Stamper: Your backup plan. You gotta have some kind of backup plan, right?
                    Truman: No, we don’t have a back up plan. This is it.
                    Harry Stamper: And this is the best that you c – that the-the government, the *U.S. government* can come up with? I mean, you-you’re NASA for cryin’ out loud, you put a man on the moon, you’re geniuses! You-you’re the guys that think this sh1t up! I’m sure you got a team of men sitting around somewhere right now just thinking sh1t up and somebody backing them up! You’re telling me you don’t have a backup plan, that these eight boy scouts right here, that is the world’s hope, that’s what you’re telling me?
                    Truman: Yeah.

keschete
                    Participant

Please call your congresspeople and senators and tell them you want them to make sure this gets taken care of….send them the pictures, they are in my photobucket under keschete / oil

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x150/keschete/Oil/

Compaining to elected officials doesn’t cost anything and it may help us down here if they know that people in other states are upset. I will post more pictures when I get them.

Thank you all for your support!!!

Here is a Pelican that is oiled. This was taken on one of the nesting grounds that is a Pelican rookery.

Jennifer
                      Keymaster

No one is immune to this problem. Even if you don’t live inland, consider what hurricane season will do with the oiled waters. A lot of the moisture that hurricanes rain down, even after they are well inland, come from the Gulf. Even if the well gets completely shut off tomorrow, the lasting problems and implications of this may not even be known for months. This is a really big deal for all of us. ๐Ÿ™

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                        My art: featherdust.com

lamortefille
                        Participant

Very informative Nam; thanks for posting it! It is indeed a really big deal for all of us….*sigh*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.