fbpx

Unusual Trend that is bothering me

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Unusual Trend that is bothering me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

I am not pointing fingers at anyone, so no one person take offense, but there seems to be a trend as of late, last couple of months anyway, of people buying eBay Windstones and within a month or two turning around and selling them. At time this is without even taking them out of the box they were shipped in, heck as far as I know they do not even open the box to look at the piece.
      Does anyone have a rational for this. It is not a matter of the financial troubles people are in or they would not have bid on them in the first place. And while strange things do happen, I can not believe so many people all at the same time and so soon after buying are suddenly hit with a rash of trouble. Just to many people doing this sort of thing for that to be the reason.
      I have a reason but I am in denial about it so am looking for answers here if other fellow collectors might have a rational answer to a trend in our collecting world?
      Thanks for listening to my little rant you may now go back to your buying and selling of the lovely Windstones.

Amy
      Participant

Do you mean windstones off of ebay in general, or the special ebay pieces coming directly from the factory?

Ann

I’ve noticed that too with the special eBay pieces. I have two reactions, the first is that it sucks for those who have come upon unexpected financial troubles, the second is that it’s too bad they won’t be able to recoup their money because they were obviously the person that was willing to spend the most on that piece.

briteblades
          Participant

I think it’s a couple things as well.
            People get caught up in the excitement of the auctions, and once they receive the item, they get buyer’s remorse.
            For me, personally, I end up purchasing an item, and ANOTHER one comes along that I like more and I have to sacrifice a precious to be able to get the more coveted one! Hope that makes sense, haha! 😀

Chloe
            Participant

For me, personally, I end up purchasing an item, and ANOTHER one comes along that I like more and I have to sacrifice a precious to be able to get the more coveted one! Hope that makes sense, haha! 😀

This, for me!!!! 🙂

Just curious, though, why does this bother you?

Kalandra
              Participant

Kalandra

Kalandra
                Participant

I am not pointing fingers at anyone, so no one person take offense, but there seems to be a trend as of late, last couple of months anyway, of people buying eBay Windstones and within a month or two turning around and selling them. At time this is without even taking them out of the box they were shipped in, heck as far as I know they do not even open the box to look at the piece.

I am confused why this would even be a concern to you???… I am sure every collector has a reason for letting go of a piece they they ended up being the high bidder on.

I personally know of a few collectors who paid a lot for special Ebay Windstone’s,

only to get them, and not be fully happy with them. Maybe the piece didn’t meet their expectations, and never grew on them enough to keep.

For Me, I have bought many Windstone’s, and I have sold many more… Only the most special one’s to me, stay!! (this could be Gb’s, LP’s, production, or Special pieces.)

I don’t think it’s up to anyone to judge what other collectors do with their Windstones, I am sure its personal for EVERY collector and if they want to buy them and turn around and sell them they can!

How can you make the assumption that people don’t even take the pieces out of the boxes or for that matter even open the boxes?? Now I’m confused!! Not offended, just confused.

Kalandra

Sirithiliel
                  Participant

I have seen a special eBay piece re-listed once or twice that states new in box, never been opened. So I think it might not be a assumption….

Marilyn
                    Participant

I think that there is some reason to be concerned about this. This type of behavior can artificially inflate prices leading to a bubble, which leads to a crash. We’ve seen this effect so many things over the years from the Hunt Brothers and silver to the housing bubble, dot com bubble, stock market collapse, etc. While I’m not suggesting that the price of Windstone pieces would have a vast global effect, it certainly affects us, the people who love Windstone creations. Individual necessity happens, but if there are people using Melody’s art as a ‘flip’ to make money we all lose.

Kiya
                      Participant

I think that there is some reason to be concerned about this. This type of behavior can artificially inflate prices leading to a bubble, which leads to a crash. We’ve seen this effect so many things over the years from the Hunt Brothers and silver to the housing bubble, dot com bubble, stock market collapse, etc. While I’m not suggesting that the price of Windstone pieces would have a vast global effect, it certainly affects us, the people who love Windstone creations. Individual necessity happens, but if there are people using Melody’s art as a ‘flip’ to make money we all lose.

Since many eBay pieces don’t retain their value (I’ve bought quite a few second hand for less than the original purchaser paid for them), artificially inflating prices only hurts the person who makes the purchase.

There is that rare piece that resells for more, or pieces like the grab bags which seem to go up in value, but that’s really more the exception than the rule.

Fortunately or unfortunately – all’s fair in love and eBay and if people want to buy things and immediately sell them, we might not agree, but it’s really up to them.

Besides, you can only “flip” pieces if someone wants to buy them on the second hand market. 😉

Dragon_Hoarder
                        Participant

I recall at least one instance of an ad that stated the seller (I don’t remember who) had not even received the piece yet but they were already selling it. I also remember the same person was talking about bidding on an ebay piece at the same time.

It could have been that they liked the piece they were bidding on more and were selling the other ebay pieces to free up some of the money they had spent on them to pay for the one they were bidding on, but it was never stated in the ad so it did strike me as a bit odd.

This could have been a part of what sparked Dragon61’s reaction.

I have to agree. There really should not be any offences taken unless the party taking the offense is guilty. “flipping” Is a trend that seems to be creeping into every market. Inflating the Bubble too much will make it pop, surely. In the meantime… it is not fair to those who honestly want a piece and are working very hard to save for it. Those are the individuals who value Melody’s pieces the most.

Kalandra
                          Participant

Am I missing something?? I still don’t see how buying and reselling a
                            Special ebay piece… Effects anyone but the person who is the highest
                            Bidder…. I think its almost a give in… That you won’t be getting
                            More than you paid…. I’m sure there are a few exceptions.

If your willing to pay top dollar for a peice that you know you might
                            Be taking a loss on…. I’m not seeing how this effects anyone
                            Other than the original owner. **shrugs**

Kalandra

Dragon_Hoarder
                            Participant

In the case I mentioned where someone was selling a piece before they had even received it and bidding on another at the same time it could come off in a way that makes it seem like they aren’t bidding because they like the piece so much as they like winning a competition with other bidders.

I suppose this could rub someone the wrong way if they are bidding because they genuinely like the piece and feel they are receiving competition from someone who doesn’t care about the piece just winning the competition between bidders as it were.

Melissa
                              Participant

I’ve noticed that trend.

I don’t like it, or agree with it, (though they certainly have the right to do so.)

But if it’s any consolation, unless they stumble on an outrageously underpriced selling price, they have to,
                                A. be willing to pay more than anyone else to win in the first place, and
                                B. sell it for their high winning bid purchase price plus their cost of shipping in order to merely break even,

which makes it a difficult way to break even, let alone profit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.