fbpx

Unicorn Gargoyle – REPAIRED pg. 8

Home Forums Windstone Editions General Windstone Unicorn Gargoyle – REPAIRED pg. 8

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Maria
    Participant

Maria
      Participant

I hope you guys aren’t thoroughly sick of offering advice and support, because here’s another one. But it could be worse.
        I won a unicorn gargoyle off E-Bay for $81 a while ago and today it arrived.

I had asked the seller to double box it and use lots of foam and peanuts. I always do that when dealing with a seller I don’t know. It wasn’t double boxed and it had way too much free space in the box.
        So, midday today I wrote him an e-mail with a pic and told him that he hadn’t packaged as I requested. I was nice about it, though, because he was nice to me when I asked for a few extra days’ time to pay for it after I’d maxed my card on two OWs.
        He wrote back the following:

Quote:

First sorry about the damage.

It was insured so we will file a claim for you. Not exactly sure how long it will take for the various postal entities to handle the claim so please have patience there.

Be sure to keep the damaged item and the packaging in case there is any inspection that is required by the insurer.

Again sorry about the damage.

Bob S.

Now, considering I’m over here and the process of claiming insurance (don’t they only pay when it was their fault? This was lousy packing) what do you think? Will I be seeing a refund? Will I get to keep the unicorn? The more I look at it the more I think I could risk fixing it, but I dunno…
        I’d like some opinions.

Pegasi1978
        Participant

Oh no GB! That hurts just to look at. I have no clue how insurance/refund will work on this one. I hope everything works out for you.

Maria
          Participant

I got a pretty good idea of the whole insurance system by reading other people’s posts. But I’m kinda doubting my luck since I’m not in the States… πŸ˜•

Jodi
            Participant

Oh, that’s just horrible. Sellers like that make me so mad. Do they really think it’s going to get there safely, all the way to Switzerland, with just some bubble wrap?! πŸ‘Ώ

The Spectral I just sent you is packed much better. Don’t worry. πŸ˜€

dragonmedley
              Participant

I would ask him for a partial refund, just in case you can pull it off, and repair it. But then, I’m a tinkerer.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

Krimsen
                Participant

From my understanding, the post office will only pay the insurance claim if it was properly packaged and the fault of the post.

I had an emperor damaged in shipping. The seller only wrapped it in a thin layer of bubble wrap and threw it in the box. It also had way too much open space, so it came broken. The post office would not pay the claim because they argue that damage was due to the seller’s poor packaging and not their fault. And, honestly, they were right.

In your situation, I don’t think the post will pay for it.

Also, keep in mind, it can take a long time for the post to do their investigation – up to 8 weeks for ours. Meanwhile, the 45 days paypal allows you to submit a claim passes by. The risk – if the post does not reimburse you for the item, neither will paypal because the time limit would have lapsed to submit a claim.

I think you should requested an immediate refund from the seller because it is his fault. And, let him deal with the insurance claim if he wants to. If he is so sure the post will cover this mess, he should not mind refunding your money now. After all, he will be the one the post pays the claim to, not you.

I hope this helps, and sorry about your Uni πŸ™

Maria
                  Participant

emerald212 wrote:

Oh, that’s just horrible. Sellers like that make me so mad. Do they really think it’s going to get there safely, all the way to Switzerland, with just some bubble wrap?! πŸ‘Ώ

The Spectral I just sent you is packed much better. Don’t worry. πŸ˜€

I’m glad I can trust you to pack properly, emerald. πŸ˜€ This has been my first bad break and it’s made me appreciate folks like you a lot more.

Medley – Do you think I should ask for a partial refund right away or see if insurance comes through? If it does – I’m not getting my hopes up – I don’t think they’ll claim it back since I’m in Switzerland. I’m sure the Swiss Post wouldn’t, and I doubt USPS wants the trouble… πŸ˜•
                    What a nuiscance. I may be starting a thread asking for gargoyle repair tips soon, though. I’d probably repaint it, too.

dragonmedley
                    Participant

I’m not sure. Like Tsija said, the insurance might take a while. Personally, for retired pieces, I only insure when the seller insists; I’d rather fix it than hope to get money from the claim, then to hope to be able to secure another one… Since it’s his fault, then you might want to get the refund from him and let him deal with the insurance.

Read my books! Volume 1 and 2 of A Dragon Medley are available now.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/mybooks.htm
                      I host the feedback lists, which are maintained by drag0nfeathers.
                      http://www.sarahjestin.com/feedbacklists.htm

If you are very lucky the PO may pay for it. I had a mint peacock oriental arrive broken. It was wrapped in bubble wrap and nothing else – way too much empty box. To my shock and delight the PO actually coughed up the insurance claim with nary a whimper. I wasn’t expecting them to pay because I didn’t think the packaging was sufficient. Who knows – maybe you’ll get lucky and someone is having a good day.

Maria
                      Participant

tsija wrote:

From my understanding, the post office will only pay the insurance claim if it was properly packaged and the fault of the post.

I had an emperor damaged in shipping. The seller only wrapped it in a thin layer of bubble wrap and threw it in the box. It also had way too much open space, so it came broken. The post office would not pay the claim because they argue that damage was due to the seller’s poor packaging and not their fault. And, honestly, they were right.

In your situation, I don’t think the post will pay for it.

Also, keep in mind, it can take a long time for the post to do their investigation – up to 8 weeks for ours. Meanwhile, the 45 days paypal allows you to submit a claim passes by. The risk – if the post does not reimburse you for the item, neither will paypal because the time limit would have lapsed to submit a claim.

I think you should requested an immediate refund from the seller because it is his fault. And, let him deal with the insurance claim if he wants to. If he is so sure the post will cover this mess, he should not mind refunding your money now. After all, he will be the one the post pays the claim to, not you.

That take does help. I’ll write to the seller again tomorrow – I want to think about it again tonight – and ask him to refund. Especially if the post office would pay out to him and not to me.
                        Thanks for all the input. I’ll keep you posted.

Lokie
                        Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

tsija wrote:

That take does help. I’ll write to the seller again tomorrow – I want to think about it again tonight – and ask him to refund. Especially if the post office would pay out to him and not to me.
                          Thanks for all the input. I’ll keep you posted.
                          The post office requires the broken item to make a claim. If the seller gives a refund with the intentions of claiming the insurance, wouldn’t you still have to ship the broken item back so he can take it to the US post office? If you do want a refund and if he intends to go through the effort of claiming, you might end up paying for return shipping unless he is willing to cover that cost. Just something to consider.

Edited:

emerald212 wrote:

He may ask you to bring the unicorn and packaging to your post office so they can send get it figured out with the US post office system.

Emerald suggests that you don’t have to ship it back, which, if that is accurate, then I’d go that route and demand a full refund and let him claim the insurance. The unicorn gargoyle has been on Ebay a lot lately as well as popped up in dealer stores so I don’t think you should settle for a broken one, at least, not for $81. Just my $.02.

Edited again: Oh, and I’m truly sorry about your unicorn πŸ˜₯ Sellers who buy insurance thinking it gives them licence to pack inadequately really upset me 😑

I agree with tsija’s comments — request the seller to provide a refund and let him deal with the postal insurance.

It is pretty annoying to come across people who don’t bother to pack properly. The good thing is that since you bought it with a credit card, you’re completely protected.

Jennifer
                          Keymaster

I’ve always been told I cannot insure things I send overseas via USPS unless I send it registered (very $$$). Does the packaging say that it’s insured and the dollar amount?

Also, they are right- if the item was packed improperly then the post office won’t reimburse a penny. And it takes FOREVER to get a claim to go through, and they usually keep the item.

Volunteer mod- I'm here to help! Email me for the best response: nambroth at gmail.com
                            My art: featherdust.com

My two cents: Get a 100% refund from the seller. And if I recall correctly, the PO won’t refund shipping cost regardless… Someone is going to be out some dollars and, well, since the seller messed up they need to be on the losing end. Maybe it will be incentive to be more careful in the future.

I’m amazed the horn is intact. I would have thought it would have been the first causality.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 125 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.