fbpx

Temeraire

Home Forums Miscellany Community Temeraire

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    frozendragon
    Participant

littleironhorse wrote:

It’s really too bad that we don’t all live in the same city! Think of the potential book borrowing!

😯 It boggles the mind 😆

yeah…..we could still do it…but just imagine the shipping…..LOL

Starbreeze
      Participant

sadly, it’s probably cheaper to buy the books 😥

frozendragon
        Participant

no doubt..

Whoa! I have not heard of these! Interesting… I’ll have to look into checking them out. Has Naomi Novik written anything else?

Starbreeze
          Participant

The Temeraire novels are her first.

Maria
            Participant

Never heard of the series. Does anybody mind giving me a two-sentence summary of what they’re about, besides dragons?

DantheDragon
              Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Never heard of the series. Does anybody mind giving me a two-sentence summary of what they’re about, besides dragons?

The time period is the Napoleonic wars, and dragons are used as the air force. What’s important to note is that dragons are just as intelligent as human beings, and the dialoge between the two main characters, one human, and one dragon, and their relationship is fantastic.

Maria
                Participant

That sounds like a new and interesting idea. I’ll keep my eyes open for them. Thanks, Danthe.

SPark
                  Participant

Ooooo… I loved the idea of the WWII fantasy thing that Harry Turtledove was doing, but I find his writing nearly impossible to really enjoy. So it’s good to know somebody else is doing fantasy alternative history. I’ll have to look into those.

Maria
                    Participant

WWII fantasy? What kind? The only fantasy I know from WWII was the fact that there were German units called werewolves… 🙂

SPark
                      Participant

It’s an alternate reality, where a war exactly like WWII is being fought, but instead of airplanes there’s dragons, instead of submarines there’s trained sea serpents, and The Bomb is a magical reaction, not a nuclear one.

I can’t remember the title, it was more than one book, I think a trilogy. Darkness something or other? Dunno. I read the first book years and years ago, but never bothered to read any of the others.

Turtledove loves WWII, he’s written at least two series that are alternate history versions of it, including one that’s just like our war up intil the point that aliens invade, and the Axis and Allies have to unite to defend against them.

Maria
                        Participant

Sounds funny, except that I’m sick and tired of people involving aliens. They’ve overstayed their welcome, I think. But the alternative WWII is a neat idea. You implied his writing style wasn’t so good, though?

I’ll have to get it later, right now I am working on James Patterson…I can’t re-read one more of Stephen King’s without reading Lisey’s story…I loved the Dark Tower series…actually all of them…I have everyone of his books in hardback…Ugh I have alot of books. Soon I will need a museum to house all the Windstones and books! 😯

Sounds kinda like Dragon Heart to me… 😉

SPark
                          Participant

Greater Basilisk wrote:

Sounds funny, except that I’m sick and tired of people involving aliens. They’ve overstayed their welcome, I think. But the alternative WWII is a neat idea. You implied his writing style wasn’t so good, though?

I had a hard time with it. *shrugs* That doesn’t mean others might not like it though. I can’t stand Steven King, for example. I’ve only ever managed to get through one book of his, I get bogged down and just lose interest in reading on.

Maria
                            Participant

Okay. I’ll keep an eye out for Temeraire and the WWII fantasy. I never did get around to trying out King’s writing.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.