fbpx

Stray dogs of romania

Home Forums Miscellany Community Stray dogs of romania

• This topic has 21 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 10 years ago by Kim.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    moonbeam
    Participant

Maybe some of you have heard about the unfortunate death of a young boy in Romania at the beginning of september who was supposedly killed by stray dogs. Romania never had a good reputation regarding their attitude towards the extremely high number of strays or their handling of pet dogs. They are often seen as tools that can be replaced very simple, are thrown away like garbage if they are not wanted or don´t serve their purpose anymore. Strays are killed on the streets without a second thought and most of the times in extremely brutal ways.
      But after this boys death Romania started mass killing strays. They are now seen as the ultimate bad and are blamed for everything that goes wrong in this country, even though the boy was killed on a private property by guard dogs (who did their job too well) and there even seemed to be evidence that the boy was a victim of a sexual crime that got covered up with the dogs.

They enacted a law stating that all strays should be brought to the public shelters where they have 14 days and if they are not claimed by anyone they will be euthanized (which means in most cases they are just beat to death). This law is not completely finalized yet but that did not stop some shelters to start killing the dogs (in Breasta they killed all 500 in the 2 weeks after the death!)

As if this would not be terrible enough most of these facilities deny entrence to animal protection groups. In some towns they are allowed to enter only on 2 specific days per week for 1 hour only. In addition they are only allowed to take a very limited number of dogs and only if they have proof that the dogs are already adopted by someone or are going to an animal shelter in another country.

It´s incredibly sad to see that even though Romania is part of the EU now they don´t seem to be bound by european animal rights.

For a while now I have a sponsorship for this sweet lady (Marga)

(http://www.freundeskreis-bp.de/detail.php?id=2525&futter=ja&PHPSESSID=9746c2cd709acc7a7589377f605d340c) hoping it will make at least a tiny difference and am following and trying to support the brave fight of 2 german groups (http://www.freundeskreis-bp.de and http://suceava-memory-of-tina.de/) and 1 romanian (https://www.facebook.com/sperantapentruanimale) that try for years now to make the life of these poor souls better and to find them loving homes around the world.

I have a little donation sale in the classifieds (http://windstoneeditions.com/classifieds/sale/pyo-foo-pup-donation-sale), trying to support another dog in the same shelter as Marga is in. Maybe you want to have a little look and help make the life of one dog better.

Kim
      Blocked

I heard about this recently which is very sad. My mom is big into animal rights and is always signing petitions to fight animal abuse and things like this happening in places all over the world. I wish I could donate, maybe once I start a new job after I move. I will share these links though. Thanks for posting!

Looking for rainbow or pink & teal grab bags!

moonbeam
        Participant

Thank you very much for sharing! I think it´s amazing when people do so much for these animals. I whish I had more time to do more.

I was really astonished what they managed to do at BrunoPet. When the two german girls arrived at the shelter a few years ago the place was in a really bad shape. They gradually built new Kennels for the dogs with new huts, a station for the many very young puppys they always get and a lot more.
          They have a blog about the good and bad that´s going on at the shelter and which dogs are new (http://www.freundeskreis-bp.de/blog.php). And even though they have currently nearly 400 dogs (http://www.freundeskreis-bp.de/futter.php) they know them all by name and can tell you about their character. They constantly try to work with the dogs to teach them that there are humans that want to be their friend, that touch does not mean pain and so much more, so that they have a better chance to find a family for them in the future.
          I´m always waiting for the new blog entry, hoping to get news on the many dogs that I feel I somehow already know 🙂

Skigod377
          Participant

I hadn’t heard about the boys death, which is extremely tragic, but I have been to Romania and been attacked by a dog there. I also saw a guy getting attacked by a stray on the street while I was going by in a taxi. The situation there is horrible and while I am not saying they are going about it the right way, something certainly needs to be done. It’s not like most people imagine when you say they have a stray dog problem… there are literally dozens of dogs in the streets and sidewalks as you walk around. I can’t remember not seeing a stray dog on a street as I went by. They sometimes traveled in packs (luckily I was attacked by a loner and was with a buddy, so we managed to fight him off) but I imagine many people are not so lucky.

I like the adopt a dog idea and hope that it’s legit and helps the situation. Thanks for bringing this to the forum and I hope Romania finds a humane way to treat this. In Germany, they catch stray cats, sterilize them, then let them go. It really cut down on the stray cat population there. Maybe they could try that…

moonbeam
            Participant

I have been to Romania and been attacked by a dog there. I also saw a guy getting attacked by a stray on the street while I was going by in a taxi.

I´ve heard that from a lot of people. I can absolutely understand why people want the dogs gone, I can´t imagine how it must be to constantly be in danger of being attack by a dog.
              The problem is that animal rights organizations have tried in vain for so many years now to explain to the people and politicans that the only way (besides just killing them all) to bring the extremely high numbers down is to constantly neuter as many of them as possible.
              Romania gets a lot of money from germanys government (and from other countries in the EU as well as far as I know) each year for just that. Most of this money never gets used fo that but just disappears. So most of the time when an animal right orginazation neuters dogs they have to pay for it themselves…

In Germany, they catch stray cats, sterilize them, then let them go. It really cut down on the stray cat population there. Maybe they could try that…

That´s right. But most people here have a different attitude towards animals and pets than a lot of people in Romania. They have a long way to go still but I really hope they will now begin to hear what Animal protection groups all over the world have told them for so long.

I like the adopt a dog idea and hope that it’s legit and helps the situation.

That really is a good thing. Sadly most of the dogs in the few no-kill shelters will never be able to live as a normal pet because of the way they lived before. But it´s nice that at least a few have the possiblity to become loved family members 🙂

moonbeam
              Participant

Yesterday was a very black day for the strays of romania.
                The Highest Court of Justice has deemed the mass dog cull law of September 10th to be constitutional.

Against all attempts of Animal rights groups all over the world, thousands of signed petitions, demonstrations and everything it is now law that stray dogs will be brought to the shelters, where they get killed after 14 days if there is no one who wants to adopt them. (if they did not die before that of hunger and abuse. Why feed someone who will die anyway?)
                And how should that happen if the people in this country developed such a hate against these animals? If Animal rights groups who try to find people to adopt them in other countries don´t get access to these public shelters, often even get threatened? HOW?

Even no-kill shelters like the one that BrunoPet sponsors are in danger of getting forced to kill the dogs, because it is not privately owned. At the moment they “only” were ordered by the mayor to take in every dog the dogcatcher bring them, regardless if there is any space in the shelter left or not. But who knows how long this will be the case when the dogs in other cities are simply killed. I´m pretty sure they don´t want to be one of the few towns that “spares” their dogs.

I really don´t understand how they could get this through. I was sure that after all the protests since the law was brought to the court 2 weeks ago to be tested for it´s rightfulness, they would decide against it.
                Romania is part of the EU and Eurpoean Animal right clearly states that killing an animal is only permitted if there is absolutely no other way. Well, there were and still are enough other ways, but apparently that does not count now. I wonder what all these EU laws are for if they are ignored when they are needed most?

It´s so sad.

http://romanianstraydogsploiesti.blogspot.de/

Kim
                Blocked

That is sad! Sorry to hear it. I don’t understand either. It seems like in some countries they are taught to treat dogs like vermin instead of care for them like companions. I don’t get it and I wish there was more we could do but it’s hard living so far away and feeling helpless. I know there are good organizations and caring people out there even if they are the minority in places like that. Maybe people can appeal or keep protesting until they change their minds or find a better solution to help this problem with the strays. I guess they have to do something or they will keep multiplying without spray or neuter or sterilization programs so people need to fight to get better programs and options put into place before this gets worse.

moonbeam
                  Participant

Just wanted to let everyone know that my Donation sale ends tomorrow (10/2) 🙂
                    Maybe you want to have a quick look:
                    http://windstoneeditions.com/classifieds/sale/pyo-foo-pup-donation-sale

moonbeam
                    Participant

With the donation of an awesome Forum member I was able to get a sponsorship for 5 months for this girl:

http://www.freundeskreis-bp.de/detail.php?id=2665&futter=ja&PHPSESSID=9746c2cd709acc7a7589377f605d340c

She was brought to the shelter in a plastic potatosack by her owner. His kids were standing there laughing while she desperately tried to come out of the sack 🙁 The owner wanted to be rid of her because she was chasing hens. When asked what he did to occupy her he just looked blank. She should be a guard dog and do nothing the whole day but guarding the house… What a sad dog life.
                      But at least now she has the opportunity to be with other dogs, to play and learn that humans (which she loves very much despite everything) can be caring, too. I very much hope, that she now has a chance to find a forever home. 🙂

siberakh1
                      Participant

Oh, Slinda is lovely! It’s sad to see how some countries treat their animals. I hope both of your sponsored gals find forever homes.

Kim
                        Blocked

That’s great you were able to help another special dog! So kind of you and great that you care! Keep up the good work!

moonbeam
                          Participant

I´m extremely happy to let you know that Slinda, the dog I was able to sponsor with the donation of a forum member, is now on her way to a lovely german animal shelter. This also means she won´t have to face the harsh romanian winter! 🙂
                            I´m sure it won´t be long until she will find a family of her own now (as soon as a dog is here in a shelter it normally does not take long for them to get adopted), maybe even before christmas 🙂

At the moment all dogs at the romanian shelter have sponsors, but as soon as a new one arrives I will try to sponsor it since I still have some money left from my donation sale 🙂

rock-reader
                            Participant

That’s great news about Slinda! So glad it sounds like her story will have a happy emding! Please let us know if we can help in the future.

Kim
                              Blocked

That’s awesome! I hope the dogs are all doing well!

moonbeam
                                Participant

I hope the dogs are all doing well!

Yes, I think they are well so far. The two girls there are constantly trying to make life for the dogs as good as possible. Renovating the kennels, building new ones and so on whenever they have some spare money. It´s always amazing what they can do with so little material 🙂
                                  They also managed to send over 50 dogs to german shelters (they have a few they are working very closely with, so whenever a shelter has some space they try to take some of the romanian dogs) or foster homes in the last 2 months.
                                  I really love reading their blog (http://www.freundeskreis-bp.de/blog.php) because despite everything they have to fight on a daily basis, it always seems hopeful and you kow that this really is the first step into a better life for most of these dogs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.